His Grip is getting weak...

Hi Guys,

Hope everyone is well.
I've noticed over the past 2 weeks that my panther chameleons (1 1/2 years old) grip seems to be getting weaker, he eats, poops everything is fine, so I hadn't thought anything of it, but when i just handed him a locust when his tongue came out (he got the locust) he spun upside down on his vine and i had to help him get back the the right way...

Anyone have any ideas?

I do gutload his locusts every other night.

Could you fill out the help form? Especially regarding his lighting, supplements, and what you're gutloading with. That should help us figure this out.

Thank you so much for replying, here is the information...

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - Sambava, Panther Chameleon, male, 18 months aprox.
How long has it been in your care? since he was 10 weeks old
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? daily, he loves to come out
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? 5 Large Locusts a day aprox Gutload crickets with carrot, broccoli and apple
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? Calci Dust daily, calcuim + D3 every other week alternating with multi vitamins.
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? Yes, mist 3 times a day, he drinks from leaves and he also from a pipette, he loves it!
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? Never been tested for parasites, colours dark brown 3/4 and 1.4 white/cream would say looks healthy, 1 every few of days (large) or smaller ones daily/every other day
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. He's been completely healthy.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? Extra Large Reptibreeze 61 x 61 x 122 - Mesh cage
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? D3 Basking Lamp Arcadia uva uvb ir 8am - 8pm lights on a control
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? 85 - 90 at the basking point 65 - 70 at the bottom over night tempratures around 50 - Exo Terra temperate gage
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? Exo Terra Humidity. Roughly 70% when humidity goes below 50 we misted again
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? Ficus Benjamina + fake vines and plastic leaves - exo terra
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? Cage on the floor so aprox 120cm height on an inside wall, away from door and windows
Location - Where are you geographically located? Hampshire, South England, UK

Current Problem - his grip is weakening and today when he shoot his tongue out for a locust he spun around upside on his vine and I had to help him get back up.

Attachments

• Kaji Cage.jpg
    Kaji Cage.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 102
Can you post some pictures of him? You really should have more variety in his diet besides locusts and crickets. Is that all you offer, or just what he will eat? I know they can be picky sometimes. Also, your gutload could use some definite improving also. From what I have read, broccoli should not be used as a gutload as it can prevent calcium from being absorbed. I forget why. When is the last time you changed your uvb light out?? I know when the chameleons get up in age they can begin to loose their grip, but yours is way too young for that. do you gutload the locusts too?

When is the last time you changed the UVB bulb? (is it a T5 or T8?) You might consider putting some towels at the bottom of the enclosure just in case he falls. If there is some sort of nutrient deficiency you could help prevent broken bones or injuries. I would add some more variety to the gutload as well. Not sure if that is the problem, but it is always good to do. I really hope your cham gets better soon, but I would seek a vets oppinion. Good Luck!

(Its a good idea to bring a copy of the "How to ask for Help" with you to the vets so they can see the details.)

Ok so he's been out for 5 minutes tonight and gripping so hard it hurts. This is such strange behaviour.

Ok, what is the best variety of food to give him. Can can be very fussy, we used to buy lots of different but they were always wasted.

We definitely will attempt to improve on the gut loading, I will do a proper ingredients shop tomorrow.

The light (I have attached a picture of the box) probably hasn't been changed for 6 months, do the agents ware down over time? I always assumed when it died would be the time to change. We got this set up (lights no included) when he was a baby and haven't changed it since, is he in need of extra lighting?

Also, do you think it could possibly have anything to do with the sudden drop in temperature?

Really appreciate all your help, it's so worrying not knowing what to do, so thank you so much for all your help.

Attachments

• image-1.jpg
    image-1.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 90
  • image-2.jpg
    image-2.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 88
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 103
Change the bulb and get a linear 5.0 UVB, that might help a bit. UVB produce less UVB after a few months.

Is he weak all the time or just early in the day?

Carl

Interesting question. today he was slipping alot earlier then this evening, really energetic. We try to keep his feeding times the same but it doesn't matter to him, if he's hungry he will eat if he's not he'll leave them there for later... or even the next day. What are you thinking?

I'm thinking he is getting too cold at night. If he is sleeping lower in the cage once your basking lights come on he might just be to cold to get up to the light to warm up.

Just a thought.

Carl

A linear (tube) lamp would be better. Your chameleon will have more exposure to the UVB rays and can move into the shadows of the enclosure if he needs to. T5 high output linear Arcadia bulbs will last at least a year before you have to change them. Most others should be changed every 6 months. (I'm assuming you mean the set up hasn't been changed, but the bulb has.) They are much brighter and will give you great results. I use a 6% bulb for my veiled, but they also come in a 12%.

Back
Top Bottom