High shipping at dragon strand :(

I have to chime in here and emphasize with what Bill is saying...

It is almost criminal,
especially now considering how fuel prices are down,
how BAD UPS and FedEx shipping rates went up this year.
And their new size restrictions.. and to what now is considered oversize....
Oh please don't get me started.
:mad:
It is just nuts.

Being small business, and trying to compete with big companies that get BIG shipping discounts is almost impossible.

I am sure Bill, like myself, would be just happy to be able to break even on shipping.

And I want to remind folks to also please understand that when when it comes to shipping , the materials and labor factor in and not only the postage.

It cost at least 3.00 or more in materials and labor to pack and ship ONE flo. tube in addition to the actual shipping cost.
(and we know LYR doesn't "skimp" on packing and padding to prevent breakage. LOL :rolleyes: )

So I feel the pain all around when it costs 300.00 to ship a cage.
But I just hope folks are aware that the small business people are defiantly NOT making money on shipping.
If we break even... we would consider ourselves extremely lucky after all is said and done.

But we thank you so much for your support >>> It means allot to us.
:)
Because we want YOU TO SUCCEED WITH YOUR PETS more than anything!
If your Chams get sickly and die.. then guess what?
It hurts the hobby and our businesses will go "belly up" and die too!

Thank you to all my customers both wholesale and retail out there.

Sincerely,
Todd

This is Bill from Dragon Strand. Someone told me I was a topic of conversation!

And, yes, shipping is definitely the biggest challenge in this business. I pass on exactly what the shipping companies charge me, but it still is painful. And I fully understand that the shipping charges I get drives customers away.

One thing I can do is get creative with bundling boxes and that can drive down the shipping cost. All that takes is contacting me ahead of time and working out a quote. If I am shipping identical items at the same time I can get you a quote. It is not always possible to do this and sometimes multiple large boxes don't work as well to save money, but I am always willing to try!

Bill

This is Bill from Dragon Strand. Someone told me I was a topic of conversation!

And, yes, shipping is definitely the biggest challenge in this business. I pass on exactly what the shipping companies charge me, but it still is painful. And I fully understand that the shipping charges I get drives customers away.

One thing I can do is get creative with bundling boxes and that can drive down the shipping cost. All that takes is contacting me ahead of time and working out a quote. If I am shipping identical items at the same time I can get you a quote. It is not always possible to do this and sometimes multiple large boxes don't work as well to save money, but I am always willing to try!

Bill

You're a beautiful unicorn. :cool:

I have to chime in here and emphasize with what Bill is saying...

It is almost criminal,
especially now considering how fuel prices are down,
how BAD UPS and FedEx shipping rates went up this year.
And their new size restrictions.. and to what now is considered oversize....
Oh please don't get me started.
:mad:
It is just nuts.

I hear you. I have a mail order business where my products are lightweight, but the minimum box size now falls into their oversize category. The new rates are running me out of business because in some cases the shipping costs more than the merchandise. And I get hammered every day about "my outrageous shipping costs".

Have any of you considered posting on your business sites multiple options for shipping for the sole purpose of letting people see that it is the shipping companies causing the issue? I know it might be more work for nothing but half of the time the war is won with public opinion. Instead of consumers being mad at any of you, you turn their anger towards the shipping companies.

Sorry to dig up an old thread, searching brought me here...Just went to order Bill's large enclosure w/drain pan...was given 2 options standard shipping $356(I almost fainted) and FedEx shipping for $88 to zip 07035...So FedEx it is...just wondering why the $356 would even be an option, oofa.

I live in Indiana.... hopefully it's not bad. If so, I'ma have to email them about it
I messaged Bill on facebook to see if maybe he had any coupon codes but hes unable to offer any, he basically just passes the shipping costs onto the consumer, isn't making $ off shipping...the problem comes with the larger sizes...At any rate, between all the reviews on his product and him answering all my questions thru FB, I don't mind the $88 shipping. You're closer to him, so it shouldn't be as much, depending on how they regionalize your area.

From Bill Strand:
Shipping had always been an issue especially with these larger cages. There isn't much I can do about this. I can't even bundle the boxes as that puts the dimensions outside of the standard shipping methods. Sorry, but no free shipping promotions in the foreseeable future.

I will just say if you get a DragonStrand cage, you will not regret it. These are very high quality pieces of work, and the dragon ledges are super useful in anchoring heavy branches and plants.

If you look at the dimensions of the boxes though.....It tells you the dimensions of the shipping boxes on their cage info pages.

My gf just had a pretty large dog crate shipped to our house from Petco. And the dimensions to her box were very close to the dimensions of the Dragon Strand shipping boxes for the larger cages. And the dog cage wasn't pricey at all to get shipped. Wasn't even $20. Probably weighs more than a Dragon Strand cage too.... That pet crate is heavy! So I'm wondering how they price a box of very similar size dimensions so high for Bill Strand.....? Granted, Petco is a multimillion dollar store and might get shipping discounts. Also, they use UPS instead of FedEx.

But only time will tell when I go to order. I'm really wanting the large clear sided cage, but I'm a tad worried about mineral buildup in the cage and clouding up the clear PVC - so the X-Large Breeder Cage with the white PVC walls might be better. I mean, I REALLY REALLY like the clear sided cage, and wont have to worry about mineral deposits from my misting system because it uses purified water. But with my hand pressure mister that I use when I'm home, I use filtered tap water out of the sink, with ReptiSafe added. And since that isn't distilled or RO water, over time, it will leave a residue on the clear PVC sides (which can be cleaned off, but still....)

Last edited:
Woohoo the eagle has landed...my future cham's home...FedEx just dropped off my Dragon Strand large enclosure and drain pan...everything looks intact...A DAY EARLY! FedEx tracking said the 4th...little by little can't wait.

IMG_20160203_125149_zpsin3xnx3l.jpg

Woohoo the eagle has landed...my future cham's home...FedEx just dropped off my Dragon Strand large enclosure and drain pan...everything looks intact...A DAY EARLY! FedEx tracking said the 4th...little by little can't wait.

Woohoo! You're gonna have a blast building it. Very nice and easy to do.

Raising the cost of the cages "already expensive" to accommodate for higher shipping charges is counter productive, either way you drive customers away. Running a business whether small or large is a difficult proposition when it comes to T.C.A "TOTAL COST ASSOCIATED", shipping has an exclusive cost and so do all of the materials associated in packing those items not to mention labor for packing.

The only way to drive shipping costs down is with volume and C.P "CONTRACT PRICING". Volume is difficult to predict but contract pricing with the carrier is well worth a shot, USPS will not usually budge but UPS as well as FedEx will usually entertain any propositions related to shipping.

For the size(in height) of both boxes, I don't think the FedEx $88 was all that unreasonable...especially that its literally coast to coast. ,and got here a full day earlier than what their tracking stated.[/I]

Shipping and handling to Rhode Island using FedEx for a large keepers enclosure. $35.59. Not bad at all.

Very exciting! I'm waiting for the new design which replaces the smaller screen atrium. I'm anxious to order it as my guy is just about grown out of his current cage. Make sure to post pictures once your is put together!

Back
Top Bottom