High daytime humidity

Yeah it is a big difference lol! As far as gaping goes I know it's to regulate temp but at what point does it be come dangerous when there are no issues/signs of RI? I don't really know the physiology or process of thermoregulation of reptiles in general when they try to "cool down". Sorry to sound uneducated lol! I am very curious because my chameleons live outdoors and I do have concerns with overheating excessive gaping etc.
I too would love to know more on this.... When I first joined the forum in 2018 the only thing everyone said was gaping was bad... :hilarious:

Anyway, I don't have a problem with your set up, not at all. I just don't believe it to be a humidity problem, but a ventilation problem. I don't know for sure, but neither does anyone else.

I do kind of agree here. I used to worry that my day humidity was too high. It is an open enclosure, with vent fans , so air flow is great. Depending on weather, like now it is 40 - 50% outside, so my inside humidity has been running high as well. However do to the maximum ventilation I do not worry. When I compare to actual past weather in Yarim/ibb Yemen They run for periods of 50% + all day at some points, why don't they get infections? I believe it is like you say ventilation is a key to this. I thing is you had proper ventilation you could run very high humidity.
All that said, I do believe periods of "dry out" (30-40%) during the day are benificial.

Exactly my thinking. I don't see anything wrong with saying aim for 30-40. I just didn't want to freak people out if they're at say 65 and there ventilation is still good among everything else. As a newbie, you get frightened. Everyday I'd be like oh my god, my cham is going to die if I don't change this RIGHT NOW!

Exactly my thinking. I don't see anything wrong with saying aim for 30-40. I just didn't want to freak people out if they're at say 65 and there ventilation is still good among everything else. As a newbie, you get frightened. Everyday I'd be like oh my god, my cham is going to die if I don't change this RIGHT NOW!
I thought everyday for the first 5 months of having Beman that I was going to kill him... Nothing like a little excitement in cham keeping :hilarious:

I do kind of agree here. I used to worry that my day humidity was too high. It is an open enclosure, with vent fans , so air flow is great. Depending on weather, like now it is 40 - 50% outside, so my inside humidity has been running high as well. However do to the maximum ventilation I do not worry. When I compare to actual past weather in Yarim/ibb Yemen They run for periods of 50% + all day at some points, why don't they get infections? I believe it is like you say ventilation is a key to this. I thing is you had proper ventilation you could run very high humidity.
All that said, I do believe periods of "dry out" (30-40%) during the day are benificial.
More to this point...don’t veiled chameleons only survive for one season, maybe two in the wild? Well in captivity, even in an outdoor enclosure we’ve removed pretty much all natural causes of death, stress, and most disease. Maybe they are naturally less robust after around a year or so of age? It’s very interesting we can keep them “healthy” for 8 or more years in captivity, but are these goals realistic? Maybe optimal wild conditions aren’t optimal for longevity? Just food for thought.

I thought everyday for the first 5 months of having Beman that I was going to kill him... Nothing like a little excitement in cham keeping :hilarious:

As a current newbie, I can vouch for these feelings lol. I am very constantly worried about my cham

As a current newbie, I can vouch for these feelings lol. I am very constantly worried about my cham
It is a very normal feeling. I am mentoring a few people right now. And I will say the same to you. The first few months are a mess with worry. This is normal because not only are you perfecting your husbandry you are learning their behaviors and what they mean. The anxiety settles with time. :)

I am also not saying that I am right and everyone else is wrong. Simply that this is my experience with my Veiled. I have never said that I am an expert. I am still learning.

I would encourage expressing individual experiences that are good and bad. Not trying to be Capt Obvious here but not all recommendations/critques/solutions work for everyone. Even with the most accurate and solid information provided right here in this forum, a lot of chameleon keeping is trial & error.

I would encourage expressing individual experiences that are good and bad. Not trying to be Capt Obvious here but not all recommendations/critques/solutions work for everyone. Even with the most accurate and solid information provided right here in this forum, a lot of chameleon keeping is trial & error.
Is that not what I was doing. LOL

I've had a veiled....

And I said *I* may be confusing, not you....

Where is your proof that humidity+heat causes respiratory infection? In that case all chams in florida would be dead. All of us that keep outside would be dead. I agree with no ventilation sure it can.
You added to your post... I am meaning higher humidity levels with misting and heat causes respiratory infection. Not just humidity and heat. When people are misting constantly when their cages are at their warmest.

You added to your post... I am meaning higher humidity levels with misting and heat causes respiratory infection. Not just humidity and heat. When people are misting constantly when their cages are at their warmest.

Yeah I did right as you quoted me, figured you didn't see it lol.

From my personal experience my guys only gape when it’s too dry so I smell what your stepping in

I also live in an environment with 30 to 50% day time humidity

One of the things that has helped me not panic about the day to day, because I did, is the blue tooth hydrometer combos. I use Govee.

I went from worry too "Oh" When seen as a whole I did not need to panic about that hot day, or a humid day, because I can see overall I am right on target with some natural fluctuation.

Back
Top Bottom