Hibiscus Frustration

If you cut some of old growth off and give plant food. Should bloom in time. Think you have just barely enough to get to bloom. They need nutrients to get to bloom. Since I always have bugs. I just take there poop and mix with water works great so far. I use horn worm and roach poop. You have same amount of light as I do and I get mine to bloom not alot of blooms. Only difference is I went with the no name jungle dawns that were cheaper

If you cut some of old growth off and give plant food. Should bloom in time. Think you have just barely enough to get to bloom. They need nutrients to get to bloom. Since I always have bugs. I just take there poop and mix with water works great so far. I use horn worm and roach poop. You have same amount of light as I do and I get mine to bloom not alot of blooms. Only difference is I went with the no name jungle dawns that were cheaper
Yeah I just cut 2 stems back and gave it plant food a few weeks ago. Nothing as of yet though.

If using plant food. What your look for is the last two number. You want last one to be higher then frist two and the middle one higher then frist. Frist number is nitrogen. It will help with height mainly. But also ph of soil makes difference to. Some plants need different ph in order to use the nutrients. When your trying to make stuff bloom they need the nutrients that the plant turns to sugar. Hope this helps a little. I've got a little green thumb

If using plant food. What your look for is the last two number. You want last one to be higher then frist two and the middle one higher then frist. Frist number is nitrogen. It will help with height mainly. But also ph of soil makes difference to. Some plants need different ph in order to use the nutrients. When your trying to make stuff bloom they need the nutrients that the plant turns to sugar. Hope this helps a little. I've got a little green thumb
Yeah everything you just said just went over my head... I need simple terms. :hilarious:

Basically you want plant food your using to step up in number. When you look at bag you'll see 3 numbers. For blooming you'll want the frist to be lowest number but not 0. Then you'll want numbers to go up. This is an example say 1.2.3 but not that low

Basically you want plant food your using to step up in number. When you look at bag you'll see 3 numbers. For blooming you'll want the frist to be lowest number but not 0. Then you'll want numbers to go up. This is an example say 1.2.3 but not that low
OHHHH ok thank you for dumbing it down for me. I understand what you mean now. :)

OMG OMG OMG EKKKKKKKK EKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

Ok it has been 2 full months since I added the jungle dawn. And it works! Found the starts of 2 buds this morning. Now Beman loves to eat the new growth on stems so I could not find anymore but I have 2 coming! Now hopefully he will not eat them until they bloom.

IMG_7302.jpg

It definitely does. I have had these two hibiscus in my cage since like May of 2021. No budding at all. And I was running 2 6500k daylight bulbs the entire time. Add the jungle dawn and boom we have buds!
I put in a sunblaster T5HO 6500k for my Pothos. I hope it works. I cleaned the enclosure put in new branches and 4 Pothos and 1 wandering jew plant. Just growing plants now till I'm ready to get another cham.

Last edited:
I put in a sunblaster T5HO 6500k for my Pothos. I hope it works. I cleaned the enclosure put in new branches and 4 Pothos and 1 wandering jew plant. Just growing plants now till I'm ready to get another cham.
The 6500k works great for growth. Just not for blooming plants. The Jungle dawn puts out different spectrums of light needed for blooming. Which is why I broke down and bought it. lol

I think growing out new plants and waiting until your ready is an excellent idea. ❤️

Ok I need tips on how the heck to get the hibiscus to bloom? Do I need to trim it back to stimulate it to start blooming? I have had the jungle dawn on it for 2 weeks and I am not seeing any signs of budding. I mean it is definitely growing way more than before but no buds yet. Or do I need to be more patient :(

Two weeks ago when I added the jungle dawn to the lighting set up... And the pic on the right is now. You can see on the left where the one branch at the front has grown at least 2-3 inches and then the branch on the right behind the feeder has done the same thing.

View attachment 325071 View attachment 325072

Dude you need halogen lights/mercury vapor to get them going. These are outdoor plants that worship the sun. Also I hope you've given them a yearly cycle of shortening and lengthening day light hours.

Having read the rest of the thread I'm curious and excited to see if ypur jungle dawn will work.

Will definitely get some if your successful.

Dude you need halogen lights/mercury vapor to get them going. These are outdoor plants that worship the sun. Also I hope you've given them a yearly cycle of shortening and lengthening day light hours.

Having read the rest of the thread I'm curious and excited to see if ypur jungle dawn will work.

Will definitely get some if your successful.
Yeah I posted an update today. I now have buds (jungle dawn on the cage for 2 months) after a year of the plants being in the cage with no buds and only using the 6500k plant lighting. https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/hibiscus-frustration.187355/post-1739830 So far I am pretty impressed with the growth of all the plants having the jungle dawn. I know they have done amazing stuff for @Sonny13 and his plants as well.

I won't use the MV bulbs on my chams cage. Too much of a high output UVI level not to mention heat.

Which jungle dawn did you get? How long does it last? Leds don't last long here too many power surges and daily outages.

Which jungle dawn did you get? How long does it last? Leds don't last long here too many power surges and daily outages.
In general leds should last very long and they aren’t sensitive for on/off switching. Normal bulbs, halogen or HID are more sensitive for such problems.
I believe the jungle dawns last +1000 hours.

Back
Top Bottom