Hi I am a beginner and I am planning on buying a Chameleon soon what types are good and cool?

IMG_20201001_181728.jpg
IMG_20201001_181728.jpg IMG_20201001_181728.jpg

Very Sorry I had to use my camera on my computer so there are a lot of reflections.
She is very young and I take her out often and I will upgrade on a larger tank soon when she grows some more

NO actually you shouldnt get a Veiled if you want a Panther but can not afford it. Chameleons are expensive... Their care is expensive. So if someone goes with a Veiled because they are cheap even though it is not what they want then they should not have a chameleon in the first place.
Aboslutely I mean that I wanted a chameleon and searched for the cheapest one. I wasn't going to pay $300 for a chameleon but $60 was affordable

NO actually you shouldnt get a Veiled if you want a Panther but can not afford it. Chameleons are expensive... Their care is expensive. So if someone goes with a Veiled because they are cheap even though it is not what they want then they should not have a chameleon in the first place.
I agree. I'm sorry for the confusion I completely agree with what you said.

There are some ways to cut some costs, but your costs would be approximately:
2x2x4’ enclosure (Repti Breeze is cheapest) $140
24” T5HO with 5.0 uvb $70. *uvb bulb has to be changed every 6 months
Basking light & bulbs $30
Live plants, pots and soil $75 min
Grow light (depending on your plants $35+
Supplements $40+/-
Thermometers & hygrometers $25+
You’ll also need a way to spray/mist...from pressurized spray bottle up to an automatic misting system
Drainage system...from a bucket to a drip tray
Way to attach plants and branches...from a DIY scaffolding to Dragon Ledges
Feeders, gutload, containers for feeders, feeding cup, tongs, Vines, & misc.
Fecal check for parasites with vet
You’ll always want to keep an emergency fund for a vet visit too
Think I covered it all. It adds up quick and there are few shortcuts to do it right.
Ways to cut costs - Use washed branches from outside, get an Arcadia 6% uvb bulb which is good for a year, use pothos or philodendron which don’t need a grow light and are easy to propagate (making more plants), breed your own feeders and check on CraigsList and Facebook marketplace to pick up some needed stuff cheap. Holiday sales and Black Friday are right around the corner and you may be able to get some deals on stuff too.
this comment is on point !

Fill this out in the thread you are creating :)

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Fill this out in the thread you are creating :)

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.
Ok doing it now

I am also a first time cham owner! I've had my veiled Ophelia for a few months now. I would totally suggest getting one from a previous owner who needs to sell, you can probably find many on craigslist/ebay and other websites (mine's previous owner had to go to college and couldn't care for her, I found her on craigslist). It is nice to get them from other people because usually they will come with supplies and also it is great to help give a cham a home! Just make sure you check up on their health if you buy/adopt from someone because you never know if they might be sick when you get them from someone you don't know.

I have seen a lot of people say the two best beginner chameleons are panthers and veileds. It would really depend on your personal preference but these two types seem the easiest to care for (in terms of chameleons at least). I would definitely do your research first but chameleons are so so amazing and there are a lot of great people on here to help you!

PS. I was able to get my cham's whole enclosure for around $500 total, as I bought a lot secondhand and she came with her enclosure, ficus tree, and calcium powder.

PPS. I reccommend @Gingero 's Neptune the Chameleon channel on youtube, there are so so many amazing videos that I found really helpful when researching into getting a chameleon and what a chameleon would need.
Thank you so much

The cost of the chameleon should not matter, the real money is spent on the habitat and how you want it to look. If you don't have at least $500-$1,000 to invest then wait and save. A couple hundred dollar difference in the "main show" should not make the difference. Was considering the same many years ago, really wanted a panther so cut a bit of cost on the enclosure - a bit wobbly and frequent hand misted but good lighting and humidifier and research. Mistakes made and lessons learned. Chameleon did great! Most importantly, had the cham I wanted, it was healthy and we were happy. Don't let the nuances of this forum get you over thinking. You are here and will learn, jump in with what you want and grow from there but be prepared for some investment. I love panthers but am now getting my first veiled....color vs size and attitude : )

There are some ways to cut some costs,
I've gone back & forth on this issue for some time with different reptiles. Thing is, IME both watching and doing, whatever people cut corners on or save, they seem to wind up spending that much or more—either because cutting that corner wasn't such a good idea to begin with, or some other contingency comes up elsewhere.

When some people—especially first-timers—get it in their heads they can do it for less, they budget for less, and then aren't prepared for the realities. The result is too often... less than ideal.

Once someone has "been around the block" so to speak, things may be different. Experience, lessons learned, etc...

Bottom line, I think it's better to be prepared to spend the full amount or more. If you wind up spending less, great, you'll have a cushion for contingencies or unexpected vet bills.

JMO:YMMV.

so all chameleons are awesome but if you want an easier and maybe a little bit cheaper Cham to care for get a veiled or panther. if your willing to spend a lot of money and time calumma parsonii cristifers are pretty cool they are hard because there is not a lot of information about them. But like everyone else said the price doesn't matter a lot unless you are comparing a $ 2,000 chameleon vs a $80 chameleon. Pick whatever one you like best. Make sure you do your research it is very important you can find a lot of info on Neptune the chameleon on YouTube and chameleon academy website and podcasts.

Guys, you're all friends and I say this respectfully, but i disagree with a lot of what is being said. The cost of a veiled and panther can and does make a big difference. Many people save money from each paycheck. In this case, buying a $60 or less veiled instead of the $300-400 panther would make a huge difference. It could mean extra vet savings, mister, nicer cage, etc. I get where you're all coming from and understand the logic, but I disagree with the idea that you should be able to buy a panther or a veiled. Someone could easily save up for all of the supplies and ongoing costs much sooner than they could with a Panther. I get that you should have money saved up, but there's reasonable amounts and at the end of the day saving a few hundred, but still planning smartly could be ideal for a lot of people.

If money isn't an issue though, there's no reason to go veiled before panther unless of course you want a veiled instead. Panthers are probably the easiest chameleon to work with.

I've gone back & forth on this issue for some time with different reptiles. Thing is, IME both watching and doing, whatever people cut corners on or save, they seem to wind up spending that much or more—either because cutting that corner wasn't such a good idea to begin with, or some other contingency comes up elsewhere.

When some people—especially first-timers—get it in their heads they can do it for less, they budget for less, and then aren't prepared for the realities. The result is too often... less than ideal.

Once someone has "been around the block" so to speak, things may be different. Experience, lessons learned, etc...

Bottom line, I think it's better to be prepared to spend the full amount or more. If you wind up spending less, great, you'll have a cushion for contingencies or unexpected vet bills.

JMO:YMMV.
Yes, there are many things that can’t be compromised or done half-a$$ed. I listed the least expensive options that I’m aware of - for example, a Repti Breeze enclosure instead of a Dragon Strand. I also said, “It adds up quick and there are few shortcuts to do it right.” The ideas I offered to cut some costs are ones which I have done myself and have proven solid...such as using branches from outside vs buying ones. Also, I did say, “You’ll always want to keep an emergency fund for a vet visit too”.

Back
Top Bottom