He's dark and brown most of the time, is he sick?

Kinoki

Made a post earlier about the dark lateral line and general bronwy darkness of my nosy mitsio panther.

Here are some pictures, any thoughts in terms of an unhealthy appearance?

Attachments

• PXL_20201230_042440574.jpg
    PXL_20201230_042440574.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 62
  • PXL_20201230_042559891.MP.jpg
    PXL_20201230_042559891.MP.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 70
  • PXL_20201230_042445878.jpg
    PXL_20201230_042445878.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 59
In the past week he's changed dramatically.

Attachments

• IMG_20201229_233859.jpg
    IMG_20201229_233859.jpg
    225.2 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_20201229_234103.jpg
    IMG_20201229_234103.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 61
No, he looks good.
What happened to those 2 spikes?
I couldn't get a photo but I looked really hard and I couldn't see them so I'm worried he is a female but all the signs are pointing towards a nail that's just underdeveloped.

He is most certainly a boy. I mean the 2 missing spikes on his back. You can see his perfect spikes, and then a slight gap.
I was just curious what happened to them, it isn't life threatening or anything.

I couldn't get a photo but I looked really hard and I couldn't see them so I'm worried he is a female but all the signs are pointing towards a nail that's just underdeveloped.

thought you meant his tarsal spikes but yeah he's been missing those two spikes since he was a baby, he fell off the top of his cage when he was really young which scared the crap out of me but he seemed to bounce back fine, maybe that's when he lost it. I attached some early shots before the fall, not sure if they are gone then too.

Attachments

• IMG_20200420_012224.jpg
    IMG_20200420_012224.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 54
thought you meant his tarsal spikes but yeah he's been missing those two spikes since he was a baby, he fell off the top of his cage when he was really young which scared the crap out of me but he seemed to bounce back fine, maybe that's when he lost it. I attached some early shots before the fall, not sure if they are gone then too.
Oooh, no, panther males do not have tarsal spurs. Only male veileds do.
Um, I think he is missing them there. Kind of hard to tell though.

Looks good to me! Where did you get him from?
I had loved chameleons from afar for too long, and when the pande hit, I just had to get one. I went on Kijiji and found a breeder(first time I think) had pics of the mom and dad and said he was selling them all to a pet shop, but I could snag one early if I really wanted. Traded some good weed seeds and 100$ for him.

He wasnt shy and ate everything. Then kind of went into a hunger strike. I think everything is comming around now. Read one of the articles linked to me and I totally had the hyrdo cycle wrong so I'm gunna flip that. Also lower the basking light and get regular calcium dust for most feeds.

Good, i also have a male panther, around 7months, and i read all sorts of wrong information about basking. @Beman was the one helping me a lot with my setup, she knows her stuff. And now, that i experienced it on my own, i can tell you that 85 for basking max is perfect. I have 82 and he doesn't even bask under it, he bask under my daylight fixture with a t5 6k bulb that puts out "heat" below 80's.

Also with the color, mine was gray for a long time, sometimes would show colors, but mostly gray. As he hit 6 months he got more colors, but also, a big change was when i transferred him in a bigger enclosure, he totally "lit up" so to say, and showed better colors (he was in a 16x32 cage until about 6 months old) im saying this because i see you have a small enclosure for him and i also read that you're planning on getting a bigger one, thats good.

I personally think it would help him relief stress from being in a small cage and help him "relax" and start showing more colors. This again, is what i noticed with mine, my experience. I could be wrong. Also i see you have doubts if its a male or female. It is a male 110%

Really appreciate your input I can't wait to get him a new cage I have a large grow tent that would work but I feel like it might make it a little too humid and constrictive on the air flow. If anyone has any opinions on this let me know I feel like I could get some fans flowing through and maybe build up a nice amount of humidity which I've been lacking in the cage but I'm not sure how to balance that. I think I'm just going to get a 4 for cage I've got some awesome plants I've been growing to put in it so I'm really excited to make the shift and if what you're saying is true I can't wait to see his colorings!

Really appreciate your input I can't wait to get him a new cage I have a large grow tent that would work but I feel like it might make it a little too humid and constrictive on the air flow. If anyone has any opinions on this let me know I feel like I could get some fans flowing through and maybe build up a nice amount of humidity which I've been lacking in the cage but I'm not sure how to balance that. I think I'm just going to get a 4 for cage I've got some awesome plants I've been growing to put in it so I'm really excited to make the shift and if what you're saying is true I can't wait to see his colorings!
Let me find some photos for you
1st 2 photos are in the older enclosure and last 2 are in the new one.
Granted there is some time difference too. But he definitely got more vibrant in the bigger enclosure.

Attachments

• 20201109_161832.jpg
    20201109_161832.jpg
    432.1 KB · Views: 48
  • 20201122_182103.jpg
    20201122_182103.jpg
    337.6 KB · Views: 54
  • 20201215_162454.jpg
    20201215_162454.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 51
  • 20201221_163515.jpg
    20201221_163515.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 50
You're welcome.

Do you have photos of it? If its the one i saw online, with a zipper and sleals shut, then no. You're better off just getting the big cage, make sure you get 2x2x4ft at least.

Let me find some photos for you
1st 2 photos are in the older enclosure and last 2 are in the new one.
Granted there is some time difference too. But he definitely got more vibrant in the bigger enclosure.
Wow what a transformation! Thanks these photos help with context a lot! Beautiful Cham!!

Back
Top Bottom