He's completely freaking out!

RescueMom

Avid Member
I've never seen anything like this, but about a couple of hours ago, he was just sitting on his vine in his basking spot, and suddenly he freaked out like he was being attacked by something. It was like something was stinging or biting his legs. He went across the back vine of his cage, scratching at his legs and trying to get away at the same time.

He got to the other corner and stopped. He sat there for several minutes, and then it started again! This time he went crazy, over the back vibe, through the plants, down the cage.

I gave him his antibiotics about 5 hours before. It was his second dose and he had been fine.

His been in this new cage since last Sunday and nothing is different.

I was afraid to leave him, but also afraid to take him out. But I carefully got him out and let him walk around. He acted okay, but not normal.

I finally put him back, but it started again.

I have a pop up pet carrier with a zipper door that I put a bend a branch in. He's in that now so he doesn't hurt himself, and I turned out the lights so he'll settle down.

Has anyone ever heard of anything like this? It's almost like he's hallucinating because there's nothing external. And it doesn't seem neurological to me, since it's more than a twitch.

Wow! No idea but my first thought is a possibly allergic reaction to his antibiotic. Even though he’s gotten it before with no problem, I know at least humans can develop allergies almost overnight. I would think that it wouldn’t have taken so many hours to show though, but I dunno.
That was my thought to.

He also got a B12 shot at the vet yesterday too, but that was over 24hrs ago.
Uggggg!

Wow! No idea but my first thought is a possibly allergic reaction to his antibiotic. Even though he’s gotten it before with no problem, I know at least humans can develop allergies almost overnight. I would think that it wouldn’t have taken so many hours to show though, but I dunno.
My first thought is side effect. Can't say it would be the same in a cham as in a human, but it wouldn't hurt to look up the antibiotic. Some antibiotics, some vitamins, and certain other meds can make me itchy as heck.

Allergic reaction could be from the meds, supplements, or even one of the plants in the enclosure. Some "chameleon-safe" plants can still have irritant components. Might be safe for most unless there's an allergy or sensitivity.

With a human, an OTC antihistamine usually does the trick, but I'd caution not to try that without talking to the vet first for type & dosage (if s/he even thinks it's a possibility).

These are all SWAGs (Sophisticated Wild-Ass Guess). Maybe some things to ask the vet about. ?‍♂️

My first thought is side effect. Can't say it would be the same in a cham as in a human, but it wouldn't hurt to look up the antibiotic. Some antibiotics, some vitamins, and certain other meds can make me itchy as heck.

Allergic reaction could be from the meds, supplements, or even one of the plants in the enclosure. Some "chameleon-safe" plants can still have irritant components. Might be safe for most unless there's an allergy or sensitivity.

With a human, an OTC antihistamine usually does the trick, but I'd caution not to try that without talking to the vet first for type & dosage (if s/he even thinks it's a possibility).

These are all SWAGs (Sophisticated Wild-Ass Guess). Maybe some things to ask the vet about. ?‍♂️
I think those are very good possibilities.

The plants in his cage are mostly the same as the ones he had in his old enclosure except the bromeliad.

I also wondered if the dosage was correct on the antibiotic that the vet prescribed. I know they have to do math based on the body weight and all that.

He's being very still this morning. He's done a couple of laps around his cage, but he didn't drink when his mister went off, which is unusual.

Really stinks because he seemed so much better yesterday morning, now we're back to square one ?

I also wondered if the dosage was correct on the antibiotic that the vet prescribed. I know they have to do math based on the body weight and all that.
Those things can be checked, but I'm not sure if that stuff is accessible by laypersons or not. Someone else may know.

He's being very still this morning. He's done a couple of laps around his cage, but he didn't drink when his mister went off, which is unusual.
I wouldn't put too much stock in a one-off like that. As long as he's sufficiently hydrated, the rest sounds good.
[/QUOTE]

Those things can be checked, but I'm not sure if that stuff is accessible by laypersons or not. Someone else may know.

I wouldn't put too much stock in a one-off like that. As long as he's sufficiently hydrated, the rest sounds good.
[/QUOTE]
I'll be calling the vet first thing in the morning about the meds for sure.

One good thing is, he's definitely hydrated. He's under weight though ?

Please post a photo of him from today please.
Here are pictures of him I just took. His right side looks a lot different than his left. It's weird.

On his right he has a thermal burn that is healing (it was treated with k-laser therapy back in May), and he's losing vision in that eye, so it looks smaller too. It's strange because he always has better color on his right side, so I don't know how to explain that ?

It's easy to tell he's under weight, but I've had him at the vet 4 times since I got him in February. I'm really doing everything I can for him ?

Attachments

• 20200920_115537.jpg
    20200920_115537.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 93
  • 20200920_115452.jpg
    20200920_115452.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 94
You said..."It's easy to tell he's under weight"...he doesn't look underweight to me.

I still have no real idea of why he behaved hat way. Sorry. :(
Maybe it's not as noticeable as I think it is, but 105g for a male Panther is a bit thin I'm sure. I know it could be worse, and if this keeps up, he'll get there.

He hasn't had any more episodes since those yesterday, but I noticed he's torn the bottom of his feet up again. He's hardly moved today and won't eat anything.

I'm beyond frustrated. I just want him to be okay

Any idea what he's tearing them up on? :unsure:
I thought it was something in his old cage, but now he's got the same tear on his right front foot (haven't gotten a good look at the back foot yet) and he's reopened the tear on the back left that the vet closed up on Friday.

He hasn't been climbing the screen or acting like a drama queen in the new cage ?
I'm wondering now, since he hasn't shed since May, and someone mentioned before that the skin on the bottom of the feet get tough (definitely not quoting that right), if he's just opening up old skin that needs to shed? Or the skin is splitting because it hasn't shed?

I'm not sure if that made sense, but it did inside my head ?

Back
Top Bottom