herpcare electrolyte & appetite stimulant

fliver

is it safe to mix it in with water and use it to mist my cham,
so that he actually drinks it?
he refuses to drink from the syringe!
or will it irritate his eyes?

I would say try to start a drip with it. Then mist him with water until he starts drinking and move the dripper over his head so it's dripping on his mouth.

It sounds like a bit of trouble.....not even sure if it will work.....But that's what I'd try.

Kevin

It dosent work.
Its more for imported chameleons that are deydrated and/or very sick ones.
I had my guy on it for a long time.
I think around 10 days....
He was going through a very long hunder strike or it may have been a serious winter slow down.
He didnt eat anything or very little for over a month.
The only reason I kept doing it was so he got his essential minerals and vitamins.
He is still only eatting about 9-12 superworms a week, but is putting on some weight.
If I were you i wouldnt use it.
It likes to settle to the bottom of the water in a few minutes.
The bottle says it disolves in water, but it dosent.
If your guy is eatting and not dehydrated I wouldnt bother using it.
-Good luck

well we just took our cham to the vet a 4 days ago
because he has mouth rot and a swollen tongue
he hasn't eaten in 4 days
the day before the vet he ate a 2 silkworms
how long can they go without eating?
he has been drinking somewhat

you can try repti aid.
like Kinyonga said careful on shooting the liquid inside your cham's mouth.
slowly and give the chance for your cham to swallow.
don't inject all at once.
you don't want to accidentally choke him with food.

how do you know if its been aspirated?
is there an easier way of getting him to open his mouth for his meds
rather than sticking a brown gloved hand in, holding his head so his mouth stays open
and dropping in the meds?
we tried to drop 2 drops of the herpcare in his mouth but he kept his mouth open and then tilted his head down and walked backwards so that it came out
apparently he doesn't like it

thanks for the bug juice recipe
how long can they go without eating?

WOW he sounds feisty! :rolleyes:

You can't shoot it down his throat for fear of choking him. I would say if he's drinking and on his meds just let him go for a while. It's probably worse to stress him out by forcing him.....especially since he's not eating anyway.

You just need to make sure that you're attentive to his drinking. If he stops for a day or two you'll need to get him water some how. You could also give him warm showers once a day to help keep him hydrated.

Keep us posted,
Kevin

Ours is about 3.5 months old now and with instrucions form the vet we had to give ours meds and fluids with a syringe. We also just mashed up a few crickets and mixed with a little pedialite. Drew into the syringe and gave to himThat didnt go as well as just fluids. Luckily he got his appetite back.

Here is how the vet did it and how we did it. The vet used his pen intto the corner of his mouth. My wife did it by starting his lips with her finger nail and then just slid her finger in his mouth (to small to bit hard but sure surprised her the first time) Instead of squirting the fluids into the back of the throad I would drip in the bottom of him mouth there is alot of room where the tongue is.

Just give enough that it dosent run out then allow him to swallow. I was able to get probably 8 ish drops in and he would swallow it all. Figure when they lick up water that is a pretty good amount and we did that 2x a day. His antibiotics dosage was 1 drop,, after checking with the vet we added several drops of pedialite with it to hydrate at the same time.

To also help with hydration, we moved his cage into the bathroom where we could turn on the shower aqnd steam it up real good and just the door and keep the humidity extra high. plenty of misting with warm water as well.

Our little fella is just back to eating on is own as of yesterday and was back on the hunt ageressivily as well. If we hadnt gone to the vet I doubt he would be with us much longer.

Best of luck!
Dig

do you have to hold your cham when you have to open his mouth to put the meds in?
ours usually leaves his mouth open
because hes mad and once we put the meds in sometimes tries to bite and if he does that means the meds just got on the glove
so we have to do it again
maybe its the age difference? frank was much more friendly at 3.5 months lol
he did eat 2 silkies yesterday though!
thanks for the responses

Back
Top Bottom