Here I go again!

tkilgour

I have searched the classifieds and checked w/ the large captive breeders and cant find a Mt. Kenya Jackson chameleon. I want one so bad, maybe someone here knows of a credible source for purchasing one. Thanks for your help.

I have searched the classifieds and checked w/ the large captive breeders and cant find a Mt. Kenya Jackson chameleon. I want one so bad, maybe someone here knows of a credible source for purchasing one. Thanks for your help.

You may want to ask a moderator to put this in the "Wanted" adds sub-forum.

I'd send FL Chams a message... they pop-up on the search. I know a lot of breeders don't update their web pages quickly, so they may have some. Maybe they could tell you when some will be available.

http://www.flchams.com/other_chameleons.asp?id=102610

I believe there was someone (name began with "Xanth"?) taking reserves in the classifieds section for captive hatched t. jacksonii xantholophus. Maybe contact him?

edit: I agree with DJnSocal also...Mike is very helpful and always has quality animals

You may want to ask a moderator to put this in the "Wanted" adds sub-forum.

I'd send FL Chams a message... they pop-up on the search. I know a lot of breeders don't update their web pages quickly, so they may have some. Maybe they could tell you when some will be available.

http://www.flchams.com/other_chameleons.asp?id=102610

Yes, I tried to contact FL Chams and no response, I figured he really is sold out of that certain chameleon.

Last edited:
Eco regional just brought in a large shipment of the less common species in the US. a nice shipment, but it sold fairly quickly especially the jacksonii jacksonii. You will be lucky to get your hands on some mt kenya jacksons, and even if you did i would bet you would struggle with them as its hard to acclimate the wild caught j. merumontanus

GL on your hunt.

>.>

Yes, I tried to contact FL Chams and no response, I figured he really is sold out of that certain chameleon.

Mike usually gets back to you even if he doesn't have what you are looking for. You probably just need to be a little more patient with him.

by mt kenya chameleon i am not sure whether you are referring to jacksonii jacksonii , or jacksonii xantholophus , since both originate from the mt kenya region, and both are commonly referred to as mt kenya chameleons, kenya stopped all exportation of wild caught xantholophus in 1981 and i believe the same is true of jacksonii jacksonii, in either case, any jacksons coming from africa would need to be claimed as farm raised to be legal, and would need to have cites documentation for both export and import and would probably come from the mbt farm in arusha, tanzania, (with a very few exceptions, kenya still allows occasional harvesting of individual animals on a per animal take by permit basis, but the permits are expensive usually min several hundred dollars per animal, but terms of the permit require that they are not for resale or commercial export of any kind (with some exceptions of animals for scientific purposes) so the short of it is there is no such thing as legal wild caught jackson's from africa (only farm raised for cites export), / jacksonii xantholophus however , were inadvertantly introduced into the hawaiian islands in 1972 were they still thrive today and are considered a pest by the hawaiin dlnr, and can be personally transported by permit, available from hawaii dlnr up to 4 animals per permit, they cannot be legally mailed off the islands. so wild caught xantholophus are somtimes legally available ,/ jacksonii jacksonii usually have a broad yellow stripe down the side// jacksonii xantholophus have no such stripe but are sometimes are reffered to as the yellow crested jackson's, frequently leading to confusion, / i personally do not have any adult male xanths for sale (at the current time), but expect to either have access to, or will be willing to refer you to a source for some prime specimens, in about 4-6weeks, however if it is jacksonii jacksonii you are inquiring about, they are also available fairly commonly but not neccessarily right when you want them . i have included a link for a pair of jacksonii jacksonii recently listed, but please bear in mind , i know nothing of this person or his animals or how he got them, or even if they are still available, and this is not neccessarily a recomendation, you will have to make your own assesment as to the viability of the listing, further i would say always use caution when dealing with online or mail order sources of reptiles, particularly if it involves some obscure person who does not frequently advertise, or is not known on any of the forums, and always try to get pictures of the actual specifics animals for sale, unwillingness to provide that, is usually a red flag for me, if these animals are no longer available or you continue to have problems finding what you are looking for, you can pm me and i will do what i can , be patient and you will find what you are looking for ,but it would be less confusing to list the actual genus /subgenus, as both c. j. jacksonii and c. j. xantholophus are sometimes referred to as mt kenya , i know fl cham refers to c. jacksonii jacksonii as mt kenya, so for the purpose of this post i will assume it is c. jacksonii jacksonii that you are looking for; http://www.petclassifieds.us/134145/Tanzanian-Jacksons-Chameleons.html

by mt kenya chameleon i am not sure whether you are referring to jacksonii jacksonii , or jacksonii xantholophus , since both originate from the mt kenya region, and both are commonly referred to as mt kenya chameleons,

Typically Mt Kenya Jackson's Chameleon refers to Trioceros jacksonii jacksonii, Yellow-crested Jackson's Chameleon refers to Trioceros jacksonii xantholophus, and Mt Meru or Dwarf Jackson's Chameleon refers to Trioceros jacksonii merumontanus. As you indicated, however, common names can be quite confusing as there is no official common name and sometimes they are used interchangeably. Both T. j. jacksonii and T. j. xantholophus do come from Mt. Kenya and theoretically both could be called Mt Kenya Jackson's. Another source of confusion is there is another type of Jackson's chameleon that has not been described yet that is probably a better candidate for the common name "Dwarf Jackson's Chameleon" yet this is one of the names already used to describe T. j. merumontanus.

kenya stopped all exportation of wild caught xantholophus in 1981 and i believe the same is true of jacksonii jacksonii, in either case, any jacksons coming from africa would need to be claimed as farm raised to be legal

This is the case for Kenyan Jackson's subspecies (T. j. jacksonii and T. j. xantholophus) but T. j. merumontanus is from Tanzania and thus is subject to different regulations. So far, they have been given annual export quotas for both WC and F1 every year. There has been discussion of ceasing the export of WC T. j. merumontanus and other Tanzanian three-horned species, but this has yet to happen.

and would need to have cites documentation for both export and import

Any time a chameleon crosses any international boarder, they need CITES documents whether they are WC, FR, CH or CB. The only chameleons that do not are the Rieppeleon and Rhampholeon (except R. spinosus) species.

and would probably come from the mbt farm in arusha, tanzania,

MBT only exports Tanzanian species (ie T. j. merumontanus). If they were to have legally obtained specimens of species/subspecies from other countries that they then bred, they could apply for CITES documents to export them just as anyone else could who had legal documents. To the best of my knowledge (and I've personally gotten shipments from Joe at MBT), they are not in the business of selling Kenyan species.

so the short of it is there is no such thing as legal wild caught jackson's from africa (only farm raised for cites export)

Again, this is not true of the Tanzanian subspecies T. j. merumontanus.

/ jacksonii xantholophus however , were inadvertantly introduced into the hawaiian islands in 1972 were they still thrive today and are considered a pest by the hawaiin dlnr, and can be personally transported by permit, available from hawaii dlnr up to 4 animals per permit, they cannot be legally mailed off the islands. so wild caught xantholophus are somtimes legally available

Yes, this is correct. Most Jackson's that we see in captivity are of Hawaiian origins.

they are also available fairly commonly but not neccessarily right when you want them . i have included a link for a pair of jacksonii jacksonii recently listed, but...

This species has really only been available a handful of times (3 times that I'm aware of) over the last 10 years. They were available from one large shipment this year, one large shipment 2 years ago (both supposed farm raised animals from Kenya) and before that, when a small group came in from Europe in 2000. I don't know of them being available other then that unless someone brought over individuals from Europe themselves.

Last edited:
just to clear things up,the part that the rest of the posters were not aware of, [ i am not certain (cause i have yet to review my messages)] , but i thinking that i recently had communications with tkilgore , and my imppression at time was he was looking for a large sub adult or adult male xanth, but the next posting i saw, (gave to me at least) the impression that he was looking for a j. jacksonii (because he referred to it as mt kenya), therein lay my confusion and i suppose, it might have avoided confusion , had i just responded privately . but i think it was a useful thread, none the less

further, (and this was some time ago ), i was trying to surf the source of the j. jacksonii from fl chams (because i just assumed that he (MM) would not just volunteer it) and i came across a couple of obscure threads that implied that fl chams j jacksonii had actually come from mbt . , now generally speaking , i dont think you find many newbies talking about the whole mbt / joe berraduci thing , (so i made the assumption, and granted very presumptuous on my part), that there must be at least some reason for this assertion, but i never got any farther than that , i tried to contact mr berraduci , but i never got a return. just for the record, i have heared mostly good things about mm and flchams and i have never personally done biz with mbt .(not that i wouldnt like to) /edit/ i have yet to figure out how to isolate quotes (without quoting the whole message, because im basically an idiot ), in any event chris you said in your previous reply , (if i get this correctly) you made reference to yet another (4th subspecies ?) of jacksons other than merumontanus that were also often referred to (or at least deserving of) dwarf jackson's ? so of course i have to know, and must please ask you to elaborate further, i know some of the scientific community is still debating over the whole jackson's sub genus thing and that possibly some species of horned chams may have been improperly classified, or excluded./ didnt mean to hijack the thread , but i cant let the possibility of some lesser known jackson's variation slip by, i suppose i could have pm'd,but there must be others who are interested as well, personally i find myself fascinated by all things jackson's

further, (and this was some time ago ), i was trying to surf the source of the j. jacksonii from fl chams (because i just assumed that he (MM) would not just volunteer it) and i came across a couple of obscure threads that implied that fl chams j jacksonii had actually come from mbt . , now generally speaking , i dont think you find many newbies talking about the whole mbt / joe berraduci thing , (so i made the assumption, and granted very presumptuous on my part), that there must be at least some reason for this assertion, but i never got any farther than that , i tried to contact mr berraduci , but i never got a return. just for the record, i have heared mostly good things about mm and flchams and i have never personally done biz with mbt .(not that i wouldnt like to)

You should probably read the post again: https://www.chameleonforums.com/kenyan-ch-hoehnelii-ch-2335/#post15972 No implication that it is MBT, just that the source is supposedly supplying farm raised specimens LIKE what MBT does.

right ' i was actually speaking in terms of mostly j. jacksonii & xanths because merus were not really at issue as far as this thread was concerned, but excellent replies and a great older thread link from chris, and just for the record all of xanthomans chams whether in my posession or ones i normally make refferals on are of hawaiian origins (i think, and not withstanding the whole originally came from africa thing) also i should point out that there is a tanzanian scammer (in arusha) who falsely advertises as mbt, but has nothing to do with joe berraducci or mbt, i am sorry i didnt keep that link but i will keep an eye out for it

I work at a shop called Pet Kingdom, we have a Male and a proven breeding female for sale, 99.99 each, Give them a call, ask for Matt and see if they are willing to ship chams. We ship all sorts of crazy critters so I don't see why they would'nt

this is where my Jacksonii is from

uploading pics, gimme a minute

Can't find pic of Dad, but here's Dinos mom

couple weeks after giving birth, first shed

Dad has BRIGHT yellow stripe down the side, extra long horns, certainly Jacksonii

PK #: 619 224 2841

Back
Top Bottom