Henry's Lobe.

OK. So today I got home from work. Henry got out of the cham room. I need to come up with something better to keep him in the room without closing the door. Well I found him in the 'dining room' asleep on some stuff on a table. I took him over to Lenny to let them meet and greet some more. I'll save the details of that for another thread.... BUT I noticed Henry's lobe is healing from something.. not sure what. I think in his escape from the room today he might have hurt himself. His lobes are small already from previous damage, but now his right lobe is bent up. He suffered some thermal burns when he was in the care of his previous owner (she corrected the issue soon after she noticed the issue). I have been watching him heal and keeping an eye on him. In the pics I will post you will see how his back is healing from the burns. The main concern I have right now is that his lobe has a hole in it and its sticking up. I think he might have gotten stuck a little as he tried to leave the room and bent his lobe. I have some Neomycin and Polymyxin B Sulfates and Bacitracin Zinc Ophthalmic ointment, can I put this on his burns? I got this from All Creatures Care Cottage a while back when I took my panther (who didn't make it) into the vet for an eye issue. The vet told me to apply it to his eye turret once a day because he had a cut from rubbing.

Can this help Henry heal, is it safe?

here are some pics of Henry from today:

Sleeping in the 'dining room'. You can see his lobe is up in the air...

IMG_8687.jpg

Here is the hole in his lobe..

IMG_8688.jpg

These are a bit better and you can see where his skin was burnt and is sort of pealing up. You can also see the hole better in these pics....

IMG_8692.jpg

IMG_8693.jpg

These next three are a sequence of him.

IMG_8695.jpg

IMG_8696.jpg

IMG_8697.jpg

I know its hard to see the lobe pointing up in the last two pics... but I think you get the idea.

The main purpose of this thread is to find an answer to: will the ointment work on him? is it safe? Can I use it on his lip?

I've only used silvadene on burns and cuts, so that's what I would recommend. It's safe to use on open wounds and on his lip.

Ahh, poor Henry! Those burns look painful! What do you suspect caused the lobe to be bent upward?

Hi Kev,

The lifting up part is actually his body doing itself a favor after the burns he sustained.

The dried part is necrotic tissue, and it is peeling up to autotomize (fall off) like a shed scab. His immune system held off infection thus far and his body basically dumping the "trash".

The new limits of his lobes could use Silvadene for a few days, if the scab falls off too soon and it bleeds. This can happen if he itches it on a branch.

I would not bother with the triple ointment, as I'm not sure it will fight fungals AND bacterials like the Silvadene can.

Hmmm

Hi Kev,

The lifting up part is actually his body doing itself a favor after the burns he sustained.

The dried part is necrotic tissue, and it is peeling up to autotomize (fall off) like a shed scab. His immune system held off infection thus far and his body basically dumping the "trash".

The new limits of his lobes could use Silvadene for a few days, if the scab falls off too soon and it bleeds. This can happen if he itches it on a branch.

I would not bother with the triple ointment, as I'm not sure it will fight fungals AND bacterials like the Silvadene can.

I still need to find silvadene.... but I have this healing cream that I mentioned from the last time I was at the vet. You don't think I should use it on him at all? Megan was told by her vet to use this reptiwound healing aid. I put some on him today, just cause. I don't know if its a good idea.

Hi Kev,

The lifting was new as of yesterday. It is how I noticed the hole in his lobe. It looks like the part of skin from the hole back is going to fall off sooner or later.

How is it good that his body is lifting his lobe? and why would it happen all of a sudden? I thought it had something to do with him getting out of the room. He had to climb between a rubbermaid and the door jam to get out of the room. I figure he got stuck a bit and might have pulled back pulling his lobe up and injuring it somehow :eek::(

Yes, still a Tank!

He has lost a bit of weight from before this pic was taken.... he was about 20 grams more before.... but he is starting to level off. He was too fat before.

IMG_8490.jpg

Checking in.... I should post some more recent pics..... He has healed up very nicely since the OP.

But in replying to myself.... Henry was 620g today!!:eek::eek::eek:

He doesn't eat much. Recently I have been offering him maybe 10-15 crickets in a cup but he only nabs a few each day... Sometimes he'll get a HW. He is just massive!

Hmmm. you sure henry is a male? Cause massive weight gain is not unexpected in females developing eggs. Lots of the WC females that came in last year were massive, around 400 AFTER laying eggs. My male is much thinner in the gut than the females. It is not a sure fire way of telling by any means, but Henry looks like he's got a "gut".

I remember the pics of what looked like hemepenes. I'm not sure they were. I've never seen melleri hemipenes. I know those of my deremensis and veileds stuck out much much further than the ones in the pic.

How do you guys all do free roam? Arent you scared of them getting stuck or lost and not finding them? Just curious how that works...

I'm wondering the same thing as Eric. Especially since Henry didn't look skinny when his weight was in the 400s

How long is Henry? And is he longer now then he was than?
My large male Dume was 10.5" SVL (appr 22" total) and 450 gr at his heaviest.

Hmmm. you sure henry is a male? Cause massive weight gain is not unexpected in females developing eggs. Lots of the WC females that came in last year were massive, around 400 AFTER laying eggs. My male is much thinner in the gut than the females. It is not a sure fire way of telling by any means, but Henry looks like he's got a "gut".

I remember the pics of what looked like hemepenes. I'm not sure they were. I've never seen melleri hemipenes. I know those of my deremensis and veileds stuck out much much further than the ones in the pic.

The photo above of Henry on the scale is almost 5 months old. His weight gain has been slow.

In the last month he has gained maybe 30-40g but i've been feeding him more than the month before. He has been turning down worms the last couple of weeks. So I make a cup of crickets for him and he'll eat maybe 10 or so a day. I watch to see how 'baggy' his 'pants' are to determine if hes eating too much. So far he has MC Hammer pants on... so I don't feel I am over feeding him. I just think henry is a beast.

His coloring seems similar to other known males I have seen pics of and I feel I've witnessed his 'junk'. I could be wrong and he could be a she...:confused:

Here is a more recent pic of him. You can see his lobes.... well whats left, have healed up nice and his dorsal is much much better than it was in the first pics I posted.

IMG_9201.jpg

The photo above of Henry on the scale is almost 5 months old. His weight gain has been slow.

In the last month he has gained maybe 30-40g but i've been feeding him more than the month before. He has been turning down worms the last couple of weeks. So I make a cup of crickets for him and he'll eat maybe 10 or so a day. I watch to see how 'baggy' his 'pants' are to determine if hes eating too much. So far he has MC Hammer pants on... so I don't feel I am over feeding him. I just think henry is a beast.

10 crickets a day is about 3 times what my melleri eat. Melleri can be very greedy eaters and IMHO shouldn't be allowed to eat as much as they want.

Oh and MC Hammer pants are pretty darn baggy...

exactly what I was thinking. They can eat 20-30 crickets a day if you let them - but I can eat a whole extra large papa Johns pizza for dinner, in one sitting - but it's surely not a good idea!

Especially when they're cleared of most parasites, their appetite is bigger than their needs. My 4 year old CB eats about 4-5 times a week, each feeding is about 2-3 adult dubia, or 5-10 crickets, or equivilant in other feeders. It varies. He's steadily gained weight on that quantity. He's not massive - 19-20 inches, about 250 grams now - but he is muscular and sturdy, with just enough padding. I learned from my deremensis just how easy it is for fat lizards to die young.

Oh, I wanted to say - That melleri looks really really good. Excellent job with him!

AIGHT.... he doesn't like tape measures.... he is just under 24".

Edit: this is also him kinda hunched up from seeing the tape measure.... sooo im thinking he is a full 24"

Oh and today it looks like he ate another 10 crickets.

Back
Top Bottom