Hemipenal prolapse

Thehippie

Chameleon Enthusiast
ok you guys, so heres whats up. Apollo tried to drop a sperm plug but couldn't, I found him when I got home lethargic and hemipenis out of his vent. I went and read up on it, wet it with distilled water then used petroleum jelly to help him push it back, with the help of the pad of my finger the whole procedure took maybe 10 mins or less telling me that it hadn't been out for long. now I have a vet appointment scheduled hopefully for Monday but Apollo had become extremely lethargic. I'm going to try to give him water and a smashed up hornworm ( if hand feeding doesn't work ) and hope for Monday to come soon. please keep us in your thoughts and prayers, Apollos grip is still strong and his eyes are still open which is a good sign. hopefully we have nothing to worry about. I didn't take any pics which was probably a mistake but I got the sperm plug and will be taking it too the vet with me. thanks for taking the time to read this I hope he makes it to the vet he seems to be ok but a little lethargic.

Prolapse is bad even with vet care if it doesn't go back in one may need to be amputated before it drys out and kills him. I had a mitsio a vet sewed up and didn't make it infection, shock whatever. I hope your chameleon will be ok.

ok you guys, so heres whats up. Apollo tried to drop a sperm plug but couldn't, I found him when I got home lethargic and hemipenis out of his vent. I went and read up on it, wet it with distilled water then used petroleum jelly to help him push it back, with the help of the pad of my finger the whole procedure took maybe 10 mins or less telling me that it hadn't been out for long. now I have a vet appointment scheduled hopefully for Monday but Apollo had become extremely lethargic. I'm going to try to give him water and a smashed up hornworm ( if hand feeding doesn't work ) and hope for Monday to come soon. please keep us in your thoughts and prayers, Apollos grip is still strong and his eyes are still open which is a good sign. hopefully we have nothing to worry about. I didn't take any pics which was probably a mistake but I got the sperm plug and will be taking it too the vet with me. thanks for taking the time to read this I hope he makes it to the vet he seems to be ok but a little lethargic.
Sending my prayers!!

O
So the vet says she can't schedule me for a little Bc it's not an emergency but she says I did everything right although a water based lubricant would have been a little better. She says just schedule of something goes wrong but he looked fine. Should I get a second opinion?

How well does the vet know chameleons! I would get a second opinion from a vet with allot reptile experience and chameleon knowledge,

So the vet says she can't schedule me for a little Bc it's not an emergency but she says I did everything right although a water based lubricant would have been a little better. She says just schedule of something goes wrong but he looked fine. Should I get a second opinion?
So a bottle of KY should go in your chameleon first aid kit? Have fun explaining that one too the parents! Lol

Coconut oil is more natural

To use in place of water-based lube? I'd strongly advise against it. Organic oils (vegetable oils, coconut oil, etc etc) shouldn't be used for internal applications, as they promote bacterial growth. Water based sterile lube is the way to go, imo!

(Aside: same with humans - don't use veggie/etc oils in place of lube, ladies and gentlemen! You're asking for a yeast infection, with all those sugars :oops:)

~Amanda

Back
Top Bottom