help!

sativa420

so pablo isnt doing so hot. aside from a few leaves he hasnt eaten much in a week ad a half. and now the skin on his head is starting to turn white. not shed or fungus. just the scales look llike they are getting bleached. im thinking it might be impaction. right before he stopped eating he was munching on dirt all the time and the last time he really ate was some wc grasshoppers from my friends farm. is there anything to do for impaction>??

You can mist him a bit more often with warm water, possible put him in the shower for a little bit, and someone on here has said to rub his belly afterwards kinda like a massage, good luck hope it turns out for you...

Is he drinking? Have you tried a different feeder? They get bored and picky. Can you post a picture? As they get older they shed in pieces, and it takes a long time so he may just be in for a head shed.

Very sorry to hear this since I own pablo's brother.

I don't have any advice, but hang in there. I actually just put an end to otto's dirty habits yesterday by filling the plants in his cage with rocks. No more dirt eating.

Please keep us posted. email with updates if you like -

[email protected]

i thought he was gettin bored witrh crix so i gave him some wax worms. he atem for two days then stoped again. the last time he shed he never fully shed his sides. and two days ago just one of his feet shed. yes he is drinking and there is poop in his cage(very little and mostly the white stuff)

Is he real skinny? Is he active? Sounds like he is hydrated. Mine is eating very little now, but he is eating, and is active. I think he is feeling his hormones these days.

not active. i put his cage out side so he can get some real sun during the day and he just sits there. last night i caught him sleeping on the ground. his eyes are really sunken in too.

im going to make an appointment tomarrow..... here are some pics

DSC02431.jpg

DSC02432.jpg

went to the vet yesterday. he said he couldnt find anything wrong so he is treating him for parasites and bacterial infection. he gets .15 ml of baytril daily and .25cc of panacur weekly. he seems a little better today but after reading about colorcham427's loss i fear pablo is on the same route. hopefully i caught the problem in time if that is what it is. hes still not eating so timarrow i think i will try syringe feeding.

Have you checked his temperatures? He definitely looks dehydrated and I would worry more about this than the not eating for the moment. Have you tried some long showers? Fluker's makes a product called Repti Aid that is great for chameleons that aren't eating. It also helps combat dehydration. Here is a link for it

http://www.petco.com/shop/product.aspx?familyid=10804&cm_mmc=bazaarvoice-_-RLP-_-10804-_-image_link

Did he test positive for parasites or a bacterial infection? Or the medicines used as a precautionary step? Maybe try going over your husbandry and seeing if there is anything that could be improved on there.

Sorry I am not of much help.. I am just trying to let you know what I would do in the same situation.. I hope he gets better!

he gets daily showers and misted 2 to 3 times a day. i just recently moved him out side and that seems to be making him feel better. im cleanin his cage tomarrow and repotting the plants this weekend. also he was not tested for either. these are just for precaution. thanks for your advice

I just re-read this thread from the beginning and you mentioned that your chameleon ate grasshoppers from a farm....they weren't eastern lubber grasshopper were they?? Maybe your chameleon is suffering from some toxins in the hoppers?
http://creatures.ifas.ufl.edu/orn/lubber.htm
"Eastern lubber grasshoppers possess a variety of abilities to defend themselves. Their bright color pattern is a warning to predators that the lubber contains toxic substances. Indeed, there are several records attributing the demise of individual birds to failure to exercise caution when selecting prey items. Also small mammals such as opossums have been known to vomit violently after ingesting a lubber, and to remain ill for several hours."

http://www.springerlink.com/content/dhu5j08uj1g2w24c/

Aww, I'm sorry to hear the Pablo isn't feeling well, he's such a great looking guy. Does he appear to show any signs of improvement after the medications that the vet has prescribed and how long were they prescribed for? I also believe that it is important to keep him well hydrated, in addition to the sowers and misting you could also offer Pedialyte. When is the last time you think he ate?

I would up your misting to 45-60 minutes a day until he is hydrated. If need be keep it there so he can stay hydrated.

I can not really speak for chameleons but I can for humans. The last thing you need to do when you are dehydrated is eat. Depending on what you eat you can have a problem with nuetralizing the acids that your digestive tract produces. This can lead to a very, very severe stomach ache. It can also further dehydrate you to the point of severe headaches and being disorienanted. Toxins in the body can build up, especially if you eat while dehydrated. This will suck all the energy out of your body and over the long run will prove to be fatal. The liver will also quit working at full capacity until it does not work at all.

If the grasshopper was toxic or perhaps had toxins on it the chameleon would have an extremely hard time metabolising it out of it's system while being dehydrated.

Of course there could be plenty of other problems besides being dehydrated but it will be hard for your guy to fight it off in a weaken state like he is in now. I personally would not force feed him until he starts showing some signs of improvement in the hydration area. Chameleons can go quite awhile without eating especially if they are being lethargic.

the grasshoppers i gave him looked similar but were all green. they were taken from a farm in east texas (no pesticides)

Is there live plant leaves for Pablo to eat??

Hi!
Do you provide Pablo with any live plants to eat especially since Veils always tend to nibble on greenery. Extremely important for Vitamin A intake.
If he doesn't get the necessary Vitamin A, it could lead to lethargy and eventually death. I assume that you do gut-load your insects but again, there is nothing better than the real leaves that Veils munch on to get their natural Vitamin A.
If you don't have live plants in your cage, hang washed collard green leaves around your branches for your Veil to nibble on.

Christine

Back
Top Bottom