Help!

kangaroo

My chameleon is pooping up whole crickets, loks like they aren't even digested at alll!!!! what is wrong? are crickets from a bait shop different from the ones in pet stores? cause I just baught them from there, and now I am really worried that is the problem! help help help...

Are you sure it is feces? It could very possibly be that your cham is actually regurgitating crickets rather than pooping them out. Sometimes they look pretty similar. I would start with a fecal test as regurgitating can be a sign of intestinal parasites.

Do you know what time of day the crickets were consumed? Sometimes if they don't have time to bask and properly digest after eating, the feeder comes out looking pretty much the way it went in.

The lights are not the problem, he is a little over a year old...this is the first time I have ever seen it. it might not be poop I just saw it today. and I am really worried. He's not eating the crickets at all and thats definitely not like him. Does anyone know if bait stores do something different to their crickets then pet stores? I hope there is nothing in them that is hurtinh him, I feel like a terrible person right now I should have researched more!

The lights are not the problem, he is a little over a year old...this is the first time I have ever seen it. it might not be poop I just saw it today. and I am really worried. He's not eating the crickets at all and thats definitely not like him. Does anyone know if bait stores do something different to their crickets then pet stores? I hope there is nothing in them that is hurtinh him, I feel like a terrible person right now I should have researched more!

I did not ask about lights-I asked about temps.

yeah I know her temps. but um I think I know the problem, I fed her too many..she got excited and ate em too fast and this happend. by the wasy "she" is a he...but I had her since she was a month old and we thought she was a girl so I always called her "she" and now its hard to switch to calling her..him. lol

They shouldn't do anything that would harm your chameleon as far as I know. They may be harboring parasites if exposed to other types of insects, which may be a bigger concern than in a pet store where crickets are generally the only insects available. And I'm sure they don't gutload them with anything but potato and cardboard. So you need to make sure your gutload is providing everthing it needs to. Like I said, I would get a fecal done at the least, but if your cham isn't eating then there may be more to it (unless there are a ton of intestinal parasites). You may think that your lighting isn't a problem but it can't hurt to tell us about your complete set up in case it is. Fill this out. We ask because we care, not to be mean. In this case it would help to know what the temps are in your cage under the basking light as well as in a lower area of the cage. It is important.

Temp is usually around 80 something. I cant check now cause his bulbs are out for the night. I have all kinds of bulbs though i have a 5ow sun glo in now but i have a 70w and 100w too.

Well-hopefully you have a digital thermometer. How old is your cham? When you are seeing undigested food, one thing you can do is raise your temps slightly. Is your cham in a place where he feels too exposed to bask? If he is not basking enough, he cannot digest his food. And you are right, overfeeding can also cause issues. Temperature is extremely important. I am going to assume you have a UVB lamp.

of course I have a UVB as well and I give her calcium with D3. I know what ** I am doing and I have a thermometer. dude. You're acting like I am some kind of idiot. I appreciate the help though. I will put the 75w in tomorrow and see if that helps, and he is always basking so idk whats wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
Excuse me but there is no need to use that kind of language on this forum. We are trying to help you here. Are you using calcium WITHOUT d3? If not, you should be, along with a multivitamin also.

Would you like help or not?? We are not insulting you or criticizing you or being at all rude (like you just were). Sorry but you asked for help, and we have to know what your set up is to be able to offer advice since a problem is usually multifactorial. And sorry but just about everyone has something to fix without knowing it when they first start out. All of us started where you are, we're not here to make you feel stupid, we genuinely want to help you and your cham. But if you don't actually want help from us then maybe you shouldn't ask. You don't instill a lot of confidence by not answering any specific questions. Just saying the temps are fine doesn't mean you know what you're doing. Want us to think you know what you're doing? Prove it first (without being rude this time). Fill this out.

Also if he's always basking then maybe it's because he's cold, or not getting enough UVB.

That kind of response is not needed at all. You asked for help and she is trying to provide it for you.

You should really fill out the whole "how to ask for help" form. It'll give people a better idea as to what could be going on.

Last edited by a moderator:
kangaroo, you almost couldn't find someone more knowledgeable and helpful than Julirs. If she asks you a question it's because the answer is important to what suggestions she will make. When she said she assumed you have UVB it was not meant sarcastically. She was just noting that her response is based on the assumption that you have UVB.

You have to realize that you aren't the only one reading the responses and people have to craft their responses with the rest of the posters in mind. If Julirs had not made the comment that she was assuming you have UVB some other poster might come along and suggest that her response was lacking because you had not indicated a UVB source.

She was, in fact, giving you credit for doing it right, as opposed to questioning you on what you've done.

Really.

Back
Top Bottom