Help!!!!

tinks30

I saw my Yemens had dug a cave on sunday and monday was just patting it down after filling it in. So i got the sand bucket out a excavated last night and found 80 eggs. I have put them in tubs the live food comes in on the sand they were buried with. But i need to know is there any chance they are fertile? I got her at the end of febuary and know she had been in with my male and the previous owner had eggs from her. Also if there is a chance they are fertile, what do i need to do with them??????

their is a good chance they are fertile.

try not to rotate the eggs anymore, take a pen and mark the top, you can use a flash light to candle the eggs, your looking for veins and what not starting in eggs after a few days.

alot of others can give you better advice on what to do with the eggs then i can, but you may want to pick up perlite or hatchrite and i think there is one other you can use.

incubate the eggs, and wait till they hatch.

you can use a flash light to candle the eggs, your looking for veins and what not starting in eggs after a few days

You won't see anything inside the eggs for months so I wouldn't bother looking till about 3 months.

i would change your sand for vermiculite,these could be fertile as a female can lay 2-3 fertile clutches from 1 mating

graeme

Ok so i had better give them a good chance. How do i incubate them? I have googled with little info. Also i found a live locust buried with the eggs, is this normal?

Get yourself some nice small tubs,and fill them 1/2way with slighty moist vermiculite,push all the eggs into the substrate so they can't roll over if the container is moved or knocked,make some tiny holes in the lid if needed (i dont make any holes)put the lid on.
Place all the eggs in your incubator and keep the temps at around 23c for the first 2 months,then up the temp to 26c for another 2 months,then finish up on 28-9c for the remainder of the incubation,
The eggs will sit in diapause for around a month,any bad eggs will often go funky in the first month.check every month and open the lids to allow for air exhange.
if you get you moisture level correct you should'nt need to add any moisture all the way through to the end,
The vermiculite should be barely moist;)

:D LOL@ the locust!! your female must have a twisted sense of humour and buried him alive!!!No its not normal but its funny!!

Good luck man:D 80 is lots!!!!

Yeah! 80 is a LOT of eggs, especially if they are fertile! :eek: Sounds like a lot of work if they all hatch out! Lily's biggest clutch was 104 infertiles, bless her! She was huge before she laid. I was sure glad they weren't fertile! Can't imagine that many little green friends all at once, lol!:D One baby cham at a time is enough for me!:D

If you are in the US this is how I incubate my eggs.

I put moist vermiculite (preferably the larger stuff not the powder if you can help it). I moisten it so that if I squeeze a handful I may get a slight drop of water from it, but not necessary. I put it in a plastic shoe box (you'll need 2 for 80 eggs). Make sure it is about 2" deep so it stays moist. Make an indention for each egg with something so the egg has an indention to lay in. I put 2 holes in the lid, one at each end, and put it on the box. I have a closet in my house that stays at a steady 75 degrees. They sit in there for 8-9 months until they start to sweat and split. I take the container out and sit it somewhere where I can watch. I love to watch them hatch!

Good luck.

if they are deflating then it may be a sign you medium is too dry. I have seen eggs that are deflated and by adding a little water they snapped right back.

Back
Top Bottom