HELP!

Urban

HELP!!!!I’m a new owner to chameleons and I just got my T5 UBV Hood in today and when I set it on top of his enclosure he did this and turned sideways and started rocking and I took it off because I got scared and I thought something was harming him but when I took it off he stopped puffing up IDK! I just want to know because he needs his UVB and i think he’s scared of the fixture it’s in or something!
38DCB58D-C53B-4FCA-9816-9103350AD8CC.jpeg

I tried putting it up there again and he did the same thing but got darker and puffed up more! Should I just set it up there and let him get used to it? I’ve had him like a week or so my UVB hood took forever to get in so maybe he isn’t used to the brightness of the light?

Alright sounds good! Thanks very much. And it’s a 10.0 and he’s about 10 inches away from the lights!

Hi! I see plastic plants, and possibly a plastic enclosure.

Plastic plants are not recommend for Veiled chameleons because they eat plants. So, If your baby were to eat that plastic, impaction could happen, which can lead to death.

About the enclosure. Completely plastic or glass in not recommended because of ventilation, temperature, and humidity issues. Uvb can also not penetrate though glass. Screen or hybrids are the recommend types.

That's about the closest you want to be with that strength bulb—maybe a little further so the distance is from your cham's back to the bulb. There are 3 remedies:
  1. Lower the basking branch 2-3 inches
  2. Raise the UVB 2-3 inches
  3. Remove or flip the reflector film* (It only works one way)

*While seemingly the easiest, this must be done carefully so as not to damage the mylar film.
I prefer flipping it, as then you still know where it is. Be careful not to mix up which side is which—they look the same.

It makes sense to me he'd be scared of something above him. In the wild something above a chameleon usually means that chameleon is about to become lunch. This is why we say to raise chameleon enclosures so they can be as high as possible. Keep the light up. He will learn it's not going to harm him.

Yea I know my cage is small and it’s glass I was dumb enough to buy a small cage,but I am in the process of custom building him a larger one which should be done within the next week! and sounds good I will drop his basking branch a few inches just to be sure!

5289E197-CD12-4B91-ABF7-DA92DC1364AE.jpeg

His new enclosure is much larger and will have a lot of plant coverage with vertical and horizontal climbing/basking points (top branch is 10 inches from where lights will be in this one

It makes sense to me he'd be scared of something above him. In the wild something above a chameleon usually means that chameleon is about to become lunch. This is why we say to raise chameleon enclosures so they can be as high as possible. Keep the light up. He will learn it's not going to harm him.
I don't disagree.

Since chameleons can see in the UV spectrum (which we can't) I think of it more like walking out into the bright sunlight from a dark room and covering your head & eyes until you adjust.

He's a cutie :) He'll get over the light fixture. Glad to see you're improving his setup with a DIY project. Lots of amazing projects documented in the archives on this forum you can get inspiration from.

Love the responses! This website is amazing! I will post more about the cage when it is closer to finished and I start adding plants! I should’ve done a DIY about it on here for other but you live and learn! It was quite easy too! Thanks to you all for the help!

View attachment 315925
His new enclosure is much larger and will have a lot of plant coverage with vertical and horizontal climbing/basking points (top branch is 10 inches from where lights will be in this one
That foam you have may be an issue. Their tongueS are very strong and have suction. So if he shoots his tongue out to get a feeder that is on that foam he might get some foam too. I have no idea what its made of but it cant be good for his intestines. i see these commercials about a rubber sealant that you can paint on. It might work. Also all raw pine wood needs to be sealed.

That foam you have may be an issue. Their tongueS are very strong and have suction. So if he shoots his tongue out to get a feeder that is on that foam he might get some foam too. I have no idea what its made of but it cant be good for his intestines. i see these commercials about a rubber sealant that you can paint on. It might work. Also all raw pine wood needs to be sealed.
Oh another trick i use with live plants is covering the soil top with pieces of screen that i tuck into the soil. It allows you to water and if feeders get onto the screen he can get them without harm or i can remove them.

Nice set-up and glad your chameleon is acting like a chameleon..
Foam: I did the foam a few years back and although it looks fabulous, the issue I had was (if outside it does crack and crumble- inside it holds up well except)
Except the bugs like to eat and burrow in it. That being said, the crickets and superworms will chomp chomp chomp all the time day and night.creating tunnels all over. I MEAN ALL OVER--- Be ready for the sounds. Also, as things pass away in the foam- those little flies will have a great place to reproduce..

Just trying to assist with problems you might experience later or months from now..

If you want possible solutions send me msg.

Back
Top Bottom