Help :/

heyooocera

I am at a loss currently. My main diet for my 2 month old veiled chameleon is crickets. I give him super worms and wax worms as treats. Maui has now decided he will eat nothing but wax worms. I don't know what to do as i know those are not nutritious enough to be a staple. I need some suggestions on how to get him to eat something other than the wax worms. If i leave crickets in the enclosure for him he wont eat them and they die. He seems scared of super worms now and is only interested in the wax worms. Should i try dubias? I don't want to confuse him with so many feeders but i need my guy to be healthy! I also don't want to waste the feeders i have now.

He is going on a hunger strike for them, it often happens with superworms. Offer crickets everyday for him to eat, but don't give in and feed only waxworms. You could also try cup feeding with crickets and one waxworm to maybe trick him into eating the crickets too.

He is going on a hunger strike for them, it often happens with superworms. Offer crickets everyday for him to eat, but don't give in and feed only waxworms. You could also try cup feeding with crickets and one waxworm to maybe trick him into eating the crickets too.
I will try this. My other problem is he is still new to me and won't eat from me just yet. @Beman has given me an awesome blog to read about getting your cham to "trust" you so i have been working on that daily. I also think he may be about to shed and is hunger striking because of that also. I will try anything ?

Should i try dubias? I don't want to confuse him with so many feeders but i need my guy to be healthy! I also don't want to waste the feeders i have now.

Nothing wrong with variety. Dubias make an excellent staple, and certainly worth a try, IMO.
Losing or wasting feeders is sometimes unavoidable, which is another plus for Dubias—they last for freakin' ever. I still have some I bought in Jan. and they're not even full-grown yet.

Nothing wrong with variety. Dubias make an excellent staple, and certainly worth a try, IMO.
Losing or wasting feeders is sometimes unavoidable, which is another plus for Dubias—they last for freakin' ever. I still have some I bought in Jan. and they're not even full-grown yet.
What do you gutload your dubias with? And where would you suggest i get them from? I am honestly terrified of roaches but i'm willing to try lol.

I am at a loss currently. My main diet for my 2 month old veiled chameleon is crickets. I give him super worms and wax worms as treats. Maui has now decided he will eat nothing but wax worms. I don't know what to do as i know those are not nutritious enough to be a staple. I need some suggestions on how to get him to eat something other than the wax worms. If i leave crickets in the enclosure for him he wont eat them and they die. He seems scared of super worms now and is only interested in the wax worms. Should i try dubias? I don't want to confuse him with so many feeders but i need my guy to be healthy! I also don't want to waste the feeders i have now.
Tough love! Roaches are good feeders, as are crickets and many others. Just stop giving him worms, and wait him out.

Tough love! Roaches are good feeders, as are crickets and many others. Just stop giving him worms, and wait him out.
Are calci worms considered staples? He's so small and i don't want to risk getting something that is too big for him.

These may help you. :)
29DA4F9A-5593-449A-BD3E-EFC4E1F5DF56.jpeg
2139F62C-C96B-4923-AFE4-2F4646E1D00F.jpeg

He is too young to be going on strike. At this age they eat anything and everything that is size appropriate for them. Please give more details on the amount of feeders per day and of which feeder and include the feeding method. Size is important as well. At that age he is probably not eating anything larger then 1/4 inch crickets.

but on cf sheet it says staple??
Bsfl are basically composting machines, so they can be easily gutloaded: any rotting vegetation is fair game. They also have a positive calcium to phosphorus ratio, naturally. The problem with them as a staple is that they tend to be more expensive, and , more importantly, their relatively soft bodies do not provide adequate roughage—so to speak—for normal digestion...or so I’ve heard. In short, from the little I know, Chameleons actually require some chitinous material in their diet to help “move things along” the digestive tract. Many soft bodied worms, eg bsfl, don’t fit the bill

Back
Top Bottom