Help!

Blinc24

Hello all. I just got my new chameleon today. He is a 4 month old Nosy Be panther. His colors have been very dark today, the ambient temperature, basking temperature and humidity are all ideal. He has been dark the entire day. I think it may be because of the stress of the move but I want to make sure that's all it is.
0222171506a.jpg

Stress is common in new chameleons. Being dark for day isn't unusual. Try to give him some space. I know It's hard but don't stare at him too much.

If he stays dark for more than a day or two you should recheck your temps and all. For now make sure he has water droplets to drink off of the leaves and plenty of places to hide.

Yep ditto to all the above. If you just got him, he is stressed and needs time to adjust. As hard as it is, just leave him alone for a while and let him get used to his surroundings. Definitely make sure he has water to drink and good feedings. He is a cutie

That makes me feel much better hearing that from you two! Luckily he has been eating pretty dang well and I have a waterfall system but he hasn't really noticed it so I am going to,get a little dropper first thing tomorrow morning. And since he is in my bedroom which I am in quite often, I put a towel up in front so he can't see me. I can't wait for him to warm up to me and have him lighten up!

One of the mistakes I made was trying to become friends too soon. He was constantly afraid of me, because I tried to handle him about a week after I got him. He's going to need his space. This will help build trust, when he sees that you 1.) feed him and 2.) leave him alone. My bud Nik is also situated in my bedroom, but eventually he got used to me. I'm not suggesting that you are not capable, but I would say you should probably let him be for 2-4 weeks. That will help him warm up to you and accept you as "non-predatory". Also, I want to share a piece of advice. Waterfall systems are pretty and nice to look at, but they're a pain in the butt to keep clean. That place is practically a breeding ground for bacteria. If you have the time, energy, and commitment to keep it clean, go for it. However, I've also heard a lot of stories about waterfalls-gone-wrong, so I urge you to be careful.

As much as I wish he were like a dog in the sense I could bond with him by spending time with him I know my patience will be rewarded in due time! And I was actually thinking about sending it back. It is honestly a pain just to get in the cage. And the on/off switch is defective so I think I'll just get my money back and use the dripper. It's a cool thought but I feel like it's impractical for me to have the waterfall system. Thankyou for the advice!

Recently got my first cham, a 4(now 5) month ambanja. Mine was brown/black for a few days and terrified when i first got him. Started eating from my hand in about a week though and at a month now he comes up for misting showers, shows plenty of color, seems pretty okay with me, and everything else. I do try to give him space, especially after working in his cage or doing anything stressful. It's good to have minimal contact for the first week or so i was told, just do a few quick check ups, feeding, misting, and spot cleaning. He'll eventually associate you with good things and relax. And as mentioned ditch the waterfall for sure. Many reasons for them being bad for chams.

Hi again guys, I got a worried when I came upstairs to find him on his bottom vine all brown, and I wanted to check his grip strength so I put my finger in front and he climbed on and his strength was good. I don't know how normal it is for them to do this but I'm imagining he was ready for bed because as soon as I saw him his lights turned off
IMG_0914.jpg

i also am lucky with my cham, he seemed to be happy when i got him. he is also in my room and has gotten used to humans

Why not? Its not his basking light, I am just using it because it's been pretty cold in my area lately
i meant for night, dont use it to see him at night. they can see red and wont get very much sleep and they can be out of their mood from it which acn be the reason he his black, that and what everone else said. hes new

Back
Top Bottom