help!!:(

colbynestor

I have a male vale chameleon who is about a year old. I was recently at the pet store to purchase crickets and noticed they had baby chameleons for fifty percent off so I purchased a female one. I put them together in the same cage and seemed to get along well. I thought the cage was too small so I ordered a new 30x18x30 inch cage.
This morning I woke up and the baby female was missing. I searched from top to bottom around the chameleon room but can't find her anywhere. Then I was searching the internet and found that chameleons can eat each other? So does that mean its impossible to have more then one chameleon together? Or is it because of the size difference. This is reply upsetting to me thinking that my chemeleon ate his sister. Thanks in advance for advice and help.

You really shouldn't put two chameleons in the same cage. They are solitary animals, and don't want or need companions. And you never want to put a smaller chameleon in with a larger one, as you found out the hard way. :(

A typical cage size recommendation for a veiled chameleon, is 24 inches by 24 inches by 48 inches tall.

Here is a link to a care sheet for veiled chameleons, it has a lot of good information in it:
https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/veiled/

Sorry about your female.

Sorry, but your older veiled had the little one for dinner! :(

And yes, they do that.

Sounds like you need to do more research.
They both may have seemed fine at first to you, but they were probably
very stressed (esp the baby!!).

Good info in the link Melissa posted.

Yes, agreed with the others that your male ate the baby. Even when they are of the same size, male or female you do not put them together.

Don't house chameleons together. There are some exceptions but generally no. I hate to say it but this was 100% your fault. It could have taken 5 minutes to search the internet for this information.

Veiled Chameleon Eating another veiled chameleon: http://youtu.be/8jq6MiOem8c

Pardon the graphic nature of this video.. and the idiots in the videos language.. but this goes to show you even 2 larger chameleons can't be kept together

That truly is a horrid video..

Anyway since this is your first post here, I will assume you have done little research related to your pet. Please take more time to read about their needs. If you had possibly prepared yourself more early on for their care by researching, this could have been prevented, maybe.

It is basic knowledge not to keep two chameleons together, bad things come out of it.

Unless the female is hiding, I don't know what to tell you other than I'm very sorry for your lost pet. :(

Please do take as much time as you can to research and read about the care of your remaining chameleon.

Veiled Chameleon Eating another veiled chameleon: http://youtu.be/8jq6MiOem8c

Pardon the graphic nature of this video.. and the idiots in the videos language.. but this goes to show you even 2 larger chameleons can't be kept together

HOLY MOTHER FATHER! I knew about not housing them together but that was something new to me! WOW! Never knew it could be that bad.

I feel sorry for your lost dude. I know its gonna be hard on you knowing that you could have prevented it. Sadly it ended up this way. Now you know better and its not your older cham's fault. Hopefully you will still see him in the same light as you used to.

WOW! I knew they were mainly solitary creatures and should not be housed in the same enclosure due to being territorial, but I had no idea they would eat each other. :eek:

There's also another video of a veiled eating a whole lizard. So much for "don't feed them anything wider than their heads"!

Makes my big guy look kind of wimpy when he freaked out because a big goliath worm was holding onto his inside cheek and wouldn't swallow down--

Back
Top Bottom