Help!!!

chameleonneeds

Avid Member
Hey I realy need help my male Veiled is realy dehydrated and needs to get water as soon as possible but dont know how to give him alot all the time, because he wont just start drinking strait away his eyes are realy sunken he doesnt eat not moving laying down most of the time

Sounds like maybe only a Vet can save him now-if that is even possible. How did he become so dehydrated? How were you watering him before? If he is laying down I am thinking a shower is impossible.

Well ever since I got him I never realy saw him drinking but I sprayed his cage often during the day and I used a deli-cup driping system. So I put carrots and water balls in the crickets diet. To help get the cham hydrated but it seems that the dehydration was just starting to build up then the recent 2 weeks its hit him in a big way.
I think its to late to take him to the vet.

I bought him from a pet shop but the guy breeds the chameleons that he sells in the pet shop.
He looked absolutely fine was very healthy but he just didnt drink his water when I had he with me.

I wont be able to get to a vet today.
I force fed him today: I found some suringes and I have worms like silkworms in my garden so I squeezed its insides out sucked it up with the suringe and put some on his lips he started opening his mouth so then I put some water in then the rest of the food then more water.
I am giving him alot of water so he can start opening his eyes because he wont open them.

Oh and is the Saline injection very expensive?

As long as he will open his mouth I would keep dripping a little water into it until he won't open his mouth. My Arnie became impacted and that's what I had to do. I didn't have a shower plant so I did it in his cage (made a mess but that's what paper towels are for) I sprayed, but he wasn't drinking. I dropped water from a baby medicine dropper. Eventually he hissed at me and I was able to get some water in him. Once the first water went in he just opened his mouth up and I gently put a little more. We did this for awhile until he stopped opening his mouth. The next day he pooped big time. He is now pretty well hydrated, but he was not really dehydrated, just hadn't pooped. I guess maybe you'll have to decide if you want a chameleon or spend the money for a vet visit.

Im going to give him more water now but do you think this is going to work?
Cause hes realy dehydratred his eyes are like hard.
BocaJan How dehydrated was yours because mine has white skin, theres like folds in his skin when he turns his head, grooves in on the top of his head andhe wont open hi eyes or cant. :(

Yeah he walks a little bit and he drinks.
But thats why im not sure if taking him to a vet is going to help because the treatment needs to work now! And if he does get treated he might still not make it till tomorow.
you ca nearly see the bone structure in his head I wish he this wasent happening!!!!!

Hi, if you can't go to the vet you might want to pm this other member who went to the vet because his wild caught montium was dehydrated & see what the vet told him to do.

Here's his thread:

https://www.chameleonforums.com/keeping-sick-chameleon-warm-12188/
https://www.chameleonforums.com/opening-sick-chameleons-mouth-12187/

I think he's feeding his cham baby food and injecting water into the silkies. You have to ask him for details.

What about trying this also?

http://adcham.com/html/husbandry/bug-juice.html

It has pedialyte in it?

** But the best thing to do is take him to the vet asap, we had another member who's cham was dehydrated, his eyes were sunken in really bad per the owner & the cham died the next day **

I read your posts and yours may be as sick as mine. you really need a diagnosis and a vet not a newbie cham keeper but until you can get to the vet i would do the following.

Care not to feed just anything from outside.

If he will take silkworms and you can get them inject 1/2 cc into the worm and place it in his mouth careful not to choke him. let him onto a branch and allow him to swallow. if he does not throw up i would repeat once or twice givin him time to swallow and prove he can keep it down. do this daily. otherwise except misting leave him alone (on a safe area of his cage so he will not fall far if he is that weak)

if this does not work i would get baby food mixed vegetables stage 2 probably would be best and give him around 1ml slowly and carefully not to choke him. my cham only weighs 11g so if yours is bigger you may need more. if yours is less do less. (she is smaller than 2/3 a milkyway candybar)

The idea behind using thicker liquid is that when you force thin fluids aspiration (getting liquid in lungs not stomache) can occur.

Be sure you have the correct temps, be sure to mist regularly and keep cage humidity higher than usual

My vet gave my Cham Ca+ injection, B vit complex with saline and the entire visit cost $44.00 i have since called him and received the baby food suggestion for free.

I wish you luck

Keep us updated

Sean

PS those with more experience please chime in and correct any bad suggestion, Thanks

Hi sorry sean, that was my idea for him to contact you while he tried to seek a vet. I thought since you had a similar problem you can probably help him.

I know if my cham was in dire need, I would try anything while waiting for a vet to see me..

Mika,

no need to be sorry

I am more than happy to help but i am just a newbie (started chams since january and already lost 2) so i am not sure i possess the credentials to chime in much. Although we learn more from adversity (i have learned alot that way) than standard care.

I have no problem trying anything to keep a cham alive believe me, but the diagnosis we are working under is a symptom with an unknown cause and i am always afraid to do too much and make the problem worse treating the symptom.

i hope i did not sound upset, i am just afraid to steer others wrong

Sean

Sounds like he's really in a bad condition. I think force feeding and drinking will outweigh the stress.
Try to get him to the vet as soon as possible. In the meantime, you can use pedialyte (diluted with water) and inject it in the silkies or hornworms (if you have them handy).

Hornworms are excellent feeder during dehydration period.
They contain lots of water.
But, in the end, the one that will save the chameleon is the vet visit.

Im sorry to say but since we couldnt make it to a vet yesterday when I got back today I found him dead.
Thanks everyone for your help but I guess it was to late already.:(

Back
Top Bottom