Help with shedding

Rowenacham

Our female veiled chameleon is doing her first post-burn shed (her lamp fell and was resting directly on the top of her screen, and she stayed directly under it for around half an hour, resulting in black burns over most of her body). The vet gave us burn cream and said she most likely would have difficulty shedding for the next shed or two. She's super grumpy, should I just let her rest and not do the burn cream for a few days while she sheds? And how long should I give it until I assist the shedding? Vet said to gently rub the stuck skin with a moistened q-tip.

Attachments

• IMG_7670.JPG
    IMG_7670.JPG
    192.9 KB · Views: 127
Not sure about the cream, but I do know that you should hold off from assisting with the shed unless she is having complications. If the shed is stuck to her extremities for too long, it can cut off circulation as she continues to grow. Just watch out for that, and keep us updated.

She seems to be losing some of her spikes??? They were burned but these look like they shedded off with her skin?

Attachments

• IMG_7682.JPG
    IMG_7682.JPG
    180.3 KB · Views: 81
Shed progress, morning of day 3. She has bits of dead skin hanging off the bottom of her feet that must be driving her crazy!

Attachments

• IMG_7684.JPG
    IMG_7684.JPG
    212.8 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_7685.JPG
    IMG_7685.JPG
    175.1 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_7686.JPG
    IMG_7686.JPG
    156.3 KB · Views: 98
Could you please post a picture of her entire enclosure? I'm a little worried about what I can see in that last pic (the glass and the substrate, specifically). It is recommended that you do not use any substrate for veiled chameleons unless you have a bioactive setup, as they have a tendency to either intentionally or accidentally ingest it - which can lead to impaction.

Looks like she's recovering from her burns fairly well, though! Poor girl, this shed looks like a difficult one

This is the full enclosure. The bottom third is glass with soil and live plants, the top third is mesh and combo live and fake plants.

Attachments

• IMG_7688.JPG
    IMG_7688.JPG
    299.1 KB · Views: 76
You need some more foliage. I recommend a plant like a golden pothos to fill out in the cage, because your cham just doesn't have enough cover right now. I am guessing your enclosure is not bioactive? Also, is that a water dish for you cham at the bottom?

You need some more foliage. I recommend a plant like a golden pothos to fill out in the cage, because your cham just doesn't have enough cover right now. I am guessing your enclosure is not bioactive? Also, is that a water dish for you cham at the bottom?
The water dish is for the crickets. We mist the enclosure every few hours and the chameleon drinks from the leaves.

The water dish is for the crickets. We mist the enclosure every few hours and the chameleon drinks from the leaves.
Okay good. I was just wondering. If you enclosure is not bioactive, you probably want to get rid of the substrate unless there are plants that are rooted in it.

Okay, that is better. If she starts to ingest it, involuntarily or voluntarily, I would consider taking it out. Is it deep enough for her to lay her eggs in? About 10"?

Back
Top Bottom