Help with plants for veiled chameleons cage

Sarah128

Is it safe to have a rosemary plant in my veiled cham’s cage for him to climb on? I’ve looked up some of the toxic and nontoxic plant lists and I haven’t found it on any. As of now there’s just fake leaves in his cage and we’re wanting to add some real ones. Looking for any suggestions as well!

Welcome to the forum @Sarah128

Let’s see if we can help.
So I probably wouldn’t go that route, for a few reasons. Romary is quite a strong herb for one, does not like a lot of water, the shrubs bark usually turns slimey from past experience with me, my mom had one in her garden (which isn’t good cause you’ll have to mist the enclosure so he’ll drink) and the water dropplets wouldn’t stay on those tiny needle leaves. I’m not sure if it’s toxic but there are better ways to go. Plus vieled chams like to much on leaves sometimes so idk if it would be a good idea.

I believe everyone on here would agree that the two best live plants to add that are hardy, and work great are Schefferella (umbrella tree) and a Pothos. Pothos is what I use, it’s a large one that was wrapped around a piece of pvc with husk around it to give it a very good height (bought that way from Lowe’s) and it works great, grows quickly, likes lots of water, and wide leaves for water droplets to form. If you’d like to see go to my page and look at recent postings, you’ll see my setup. And on the plus side if KP (Kenny powers the Cham) wants to munch on the leaves totally non toxic. You can also use any form of ficus which would work great for whenever your Cham is older and much heavier. All are good choices, and relitivley inexpensive and available at any local store like Lowe’s or Home Depot. Just make sure to wash all of the old soil off, and replant in another CLEAN pot with organic soil and covered up some how. I used very large river stones (also got at Lowe’s) that I boiled to ensure everything was clean. Remember to also clean EVERY leaf off of whatever plant you purchase with 98% issopropal alchohol to ensure no pesticides or fertilizers enter your chams home.

Sorry for the information overload, Also some pics of your new bud and the set up would be nice. Good luck

Welcome to the forum @Sarah128

Let’s see if we can help.
So I probably wouldn’t go that route, for a few reasons. Romary is quite a strong herb for one, does not like a lot of water, the shrubs bark usually turns slimey from past experience with me, my mom had one in her garden (which isn’t good cause you’ll have to mist the enclosure so he’ll drink) and the water dropplets wouldn’t stay on those tiny needle leaves. I’m not sure if it’s toxic but there are better ways to go. Plus vieled chams like to much on leaves sometimes so idk if it would be a good idea.

I believe everyone on here would agree that the two best live plants to add that are hardy, and work great are Schefferella (umbrella tree) and a Pothos. Pothos is what I use, it’s a large one that was wrapped around a piece of pvc with husk around it to give it a very good height (bought that way from Lowe’s) and it works great, grows quickly, likes lots of water, and wide leaves for water droplets to form. If you’d like to see go to my page and look at recent postings, you’ll see my setup. And on the plus side if KP (Kenny powers the Cham) wants to munch on the leaves totally non toxic. You can also use any form of ficus which would work great for whenever your Cham is older and much heavier. All are good choices, and relitivley inexpensive and available at any local store like Lowe’s or Home Depot. Just make sure to wash all of the old soil off, and replant in another CLEAN pot with organic soil and covered up some how. I used very large river stones (also got at Lowe’s) that I boiled to ensure everything was clean. Remember to also clean EVERY leaf off of whatever plant you purchase with 98% issopropal alchohol to ensure no pesticides or fertilizers enter your chams home.

Sorry for the information overload, Also some pics of your new bud and the set up would be nice. Good luck
Great info @Matthew43s! Just curious OP, but why did you post this on the Pygmy section?

Back
Top Bottom