HELP WITH MY CHAM PLEASE

GalaxyGhostly

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon -jacksons, male, one year old. ive had him for 6 months
  • Handling - almost never as he dosent like it
  • Feeding - i feed him gutloaded crickets and occasional waxworms on a dusting regimin
  • Supplements - flukers calcium with d3 (once month) and without d3 (every oter feed) e
  • Watering - i have a mister on for 5 hours and spray enclosure once daily. Sometimes is spray water into the side of his mouth (not directly) and he likes it. and drinks alot...
  • Fecal Description -brown and white, my parents wont let me take him to vet for check (i understand how serious this is)
  • History -none
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - screen cage that is somewhat large
  • Lighting - i use Daylight blue reptile bulb 60 watt and Repti Sun 5.0 15 watt

• Temperature - he is usually at 85 with 78 night temp but I am in the polar vortex so its cold but i have it stable at 79

• Humidity - my humid. gauge broke as he knocked it off stand but i am misting often till i can ship a new one in.
  • Plants - no live plants
  • Placement - cage is located in my room (low traffic) and is 3 feet off ground.
  • Location - NW america
I have so many questions as i have anxiety for my cham constantly. First off, one of his eyes recently got bigger and looks swollen, but not like other threads i have seen, it looks like he has water in it and it dosent seem to hurt him, could it be fluid? He also twitches often, i have a video of him doing this and he opens his mouth and shakes. And finnally he wont pull of his own shed. I am so concerned for him could you all please help, i got my cham not fully understanding the stress of their fragileness. PLEASE HELP ME!

Last edited:
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon -jacksons, male, one year old. ive had him for 6 months
  • Handling - almost never as he dosent like it
  • Feeding - i feed him gutloaded crickets and occasional waxworms on a dusting regimin
  • Supplements - flukers calcium with d3 (once month) and without d3 (every oter feed) e
  • Watering - i have a mister on for 5 hours and spray enclosure once daily. Sometimes is spray water into the side of his mouth (not directly) and he likes it. and drinks alot...
  • Fecal Description -brown and white, my parents wont let me take him to vet for check (i understand how serious this is)
  • History -none
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - screen cage that is somewhat large
  • Lighting - i use Daylight blue reptile bulb 60 watt and Repti Sun 5.0 15 watt

• Temperature - he is usually at 85 with 78 night temp but I am in the polar vortex so its cold but i have it stable at 79

• Humidity - my humid. gauge broke as he knocked it off stand but i am misting often till i can ship a new one in.
  • Plants - no live plants
  • Placement - cage is located in my room (low traffic) and is 3 feet off ground.
  • Location - NW america
I have so many questions as i have anxiety for my cham constantly. First off, one of his eyes recently got bigger and looks swollen, but not like other threads i have seen, it looks like he has water in it and it dosent seem to hurt him, could it be fluid? He also twitches often, i have a video of him doing this and he opens his mouth and shakes. And finnally he wont pull of his own shed. I am so concerned for him could you all please help, i got my cham not fully understanding the stress of their fragileness. PLEASE HELP ME!
Can you post some good pics of the enclosure setup and of the eye and problem shed areas?

Also confirm if his UVB is a tube or a compact lamp. Lighting on/off schedule. Also, when you say mister, do you mean fogger? 5 hours misting = very vet bedroom.

How large is 'somewhat large'? What do gutload with?

Last edited:
All excellent advice given above^

You’ve got a lot of constructive criticism coming your way. We’re not trying to attack you, only help. From what I can tell your going to need to invest at least another $100 to get him setup properly, probably more. Cham keeping is an expensive hobby! This will sound harsh but if you can’t provide him with the proper environment or the medical attention he clearly needs then this may not be a appropriate time in your life to be Cham keeping.

Welcome to the forum, hope the graphics below help.
C932EE40-73DE-4575-A41B-01BE33ED49D2.jpeg
2B4AF34B-A5E2-43FD-9715-62920A41C48E.jpeg
B117D6B0-6941-414E-AE12-76EF8B7AB367.jpeg
E54B1F49-86BD-4F8B-A5F9-DA174216BB5B.png
9D809661-29CA-4FF7-9BF6-F6CDD79CAE96.png
4FB32484-6A4B-448F-B6FA-71AF717661D1.jpeg
F1FFE385-395E-449C-BE78-79E1C03C8216.jpeg
1F89C25F-CDA1-436B-B1EB-61C6420C64BC.jpeg

Also confirm if his UVB is a tube or a compact lamp. Lighti
Can you post some good pics of the enclosure setup and of the eye and problem shed areas?

Also confirm if his UVB is a tube or a compact lamp. Lighting on/off schedule. Also, when you say mister, do you mean fogger? 5 hours misting = very vet bedroom.

How large is 'somewhat large'? What do gutload with?

As to the reply thank you both so much, I do have an on/off schedule 12/12 hour and yes a fogger my cage is 16" by 16" by 30" and i gutload with flukers orange cube and fruits. Thank you and I will get on the lighting!

All excellent advice given above^

You’ve got a lot of constructive criticism coming your way. We’re not trying to attack you, only help. From what I can tell your going to need to invest at least another $100 to get him setup properly, probably more. Cham keeping is an expensive hobby! This will sound harsh but if you can’t provide him with the proper environment or the medical attention he clearly needs then this may not be a appropriate time in your life to be Cham keeping.

Welcome to the forum, hope the graphics below help.
View attachment 224274View attachment 224275View attachment 224276View attachment 224277View attachment 224278View attachment 224279View attachment 224280View attachment 224281
Can you possibly direct me to the origin of these nicely done images? Is there a site and is there one for Panther chameleons too?

The swollen eye could be
1. A vitamin A deficiency
2. some sort of infection
3. and injury of sorts
My cham had a swollen eye once and a little beta carotene( It converts into vitamin A in the body) did the trick in no time. Many multivitamins ( for reptiles ) have beta carotene, but but you have to be careful and not give too much!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom