help with lay bin !!

bbyy.z

alright so an update on my girl:
went to a reptile vet and they said she did not have eggs but i still felt something was not right so i got a second opinion from another reptile vet where he took an x-ray and yep she has eggs !! she does not have any egg binding and is not quite ready to lay her eggs. he did say she should be ready to lay them in the next week or two so i’m setting up a new lay bin for her. i had coconut fiber substrate in my first lay bin but the vet said try finding organic soil or sand. so basically my store was all out of organic soil so i found some sand and was wondering if the sand i bought was alright ??

THANK U !

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    245.7 KB · Views: 126
That’s perfect. Just get a plastic bin that is at least 8 inches deep and maybe 10x10 and wash the play sand before putting it in. You want it just damp enough to hold a tunnel and not collapse. Put this in her enclosure and make sure you have a vine or stick so she can climb in and out of it and leave her be. When she starts digging hang a light sheet around the bottom of her cage to give her privacy so she can’t see you. This is very important that she doesn’t see you and she can lay her eggs in private.

Hi and welcome! :) @Lindasjackson gave you great advice! Although I think it came in a different bag, I’ve used that sand before I think for my girls. I rinse all the sands that I’ve used to wash out excess dust and debris. I have found that at least my girls like larger bins of at least 12” long and wide. Depth isn’t as important as long as you can fill it to about 6” with the sand. Even though a bit of sand leaks out initially, I drill tiny drainage holes in the bottom of the bin to prevent excess water from making a muddy mess.
It’s often difficult to tell when they’re ready to lay, so is best to make the bin a permanent part of the enclosure and always be ready. If you’d like, I can go over the laying process…just ask. :)
5678992E-C4E6-42FF-BEA7-60CDBD1FAD57.jpeg

The sand looks ok to me. Make it just moist enoug that it will hold a tunnel when you dig in it.

In the xray....were the "eggs" round or oval?
It was obvious in your other thread that she was producing eggs.

Back
Top Bottom