Help with Large Cage Furnishings!

Julirs

:rolleyes: I just recieved my new screen cage-24"X24"X36"-WOW it is huge! Nice cage and very easy to assemble! (Thanks Mike!) Now-What do I put in this thing? The Reptarium was nice in the way that it has clips that you can attach vines and flexi-branches to the plastic insides, but I can see that I am going to need something sturdy for him to climb on but am unsure of how to put something together that will not rip the screen but will reach up to the top? Suggestions? This is for my 5 month old Veiled that is nearly 6 inches long (s-t-v) who has very much outgrown the 38 gallon Reptarium.
Happy Birthday Will Hayward!:)

Yeah, they look HUGE when they are empty:eek: You want a large plant that will fill much of the cage, schefflera is a good choice, I am sure others will post their favorites.

As for attaching, you can use cable ties
images

I get the very small black ones (100 for a few dollars at home depot) for ties branches together as well as attaching to screen. yes, you will have to push it thru the screen, thus the reason for the smaller ones. I remember how devastating it was to think I had to put holes in my $100 cage!! But believe me, you'll get over it ;)

You can also use paper clips to attach feeder cups. Put a hole in the cup (1/2lb deli cups are good - is he a cup feeder?) then bend it to make it sturdy and push thru screen and bend down - sound confusing? Ok,, let me take a pic...
467254166_f19d70ad72.jpg

467266955_60db70fad3.jpg

467254364_7756b4f707.jpg

and here's one of his cage. it's not a full shot and I have his upper panel open b/c he is roaming.
467270355_9a687b6b46.jpg

Tyler (Blue Beast) used a screw and grommets to secure some thick branches or jungle vine (type). Ask him for pic. I may have it and will post if I find it. You can also hang some pothos plants which branch nicely and hare very hardy (almost impossible to kill) with strong runners (vines).

hope this helps!

Last edited:
Thanks Julirs. Twist ties, zip ties, metail wire, thumbtacks, fishing line and a good stong string all make great solutions for this. Youll have to experiement with them, as each one has its pros and cons and they are all better at doing different things.

I use the little plastic zip ties to secure branches to my cage. I am not sure of the actual name of them. Police sometimes use them as handcuffs, if that helps, haha. They are cheap and work very well and when i clean the cage i just snip them and replace them with new ones.

You can also go to just about any store and get some stainless steel wire which you can attach items by wrapping the ends together without enlarging the screen on your cage. Once you get a nice ficus or other plant inside it wont look so massive. I usually buy them from the store thinking that they are to small, but once I get them home I have to trim them back a lot so they will fit inside the darn thing.:)

Im having the same problem I have two Schefflera for mine but they are not real big and it leaves a ton of empy space. Im going out to look for some vine type or maybe some bamboo to give him a little more cover.

Im having the same problem I have two Schefflera for mine but they are not real big and it leaves a ton of empy space. Im going out to look for some vine type or maybe some bamboo to give him a little more cover.

check out the photo in my above post, I put my scheff on a low plant stand. Sometimes I get creative and put a smaller plant on a taller stand, too. Hmmm, might just do that next cage redecorating as I just got a lovely croton.

Police sometimes use them as handcuffs, if that helps, haha.

Now how would you know that? Hmmm????;)

They are called cable ties. Although they have evolved into many uses they were originally meant to hold bundles of cables together in electronic and other equipment (uh oh, the engineer in me is showing:eek: )

check out the photo in my above post, I put my scheff on a low plant stand. Sometimes I get creative and put a smaller plant on a taller stand, too. Hmmm, might just do that next cage redecorating as I just got a lovely croton.

My cage is outside with the plants in the ground so I cannt just pop them on a stand :)

OK--here are pics of the new cage. I used 50lb test fishing line to hang up vines, etc. I still need some more for the back right corner-no luck in finding ficus anywhere. Suggestions?
Leonnewage.jpg

Last edited:
Nice job with the new cage. :)
I've found Sear Hardware has a nice selection of plants (at least the one by my work does)... they always seem to have ficus & scheff's on hand, as well as other leafy, sturdy cham-fun plants.

My cage is outside with the plants in the ground so I cannt just pop them on a stand :)

yes, that would pose a problem - unless you lowered the cage into the ground :D JK

Depending on the size of the cage you can get plant stands and just place another plant on it. Get outdoor plant stands from home depot, lowe's, etc. I just dug thru some of Luna's old pics and here are two with a raised hibiscus pothos on one stand and then a croton in the back on a taller stand.
468687812_6958546410.jpg

468698751_1f84aafc74.jpg

Now how would you know that? Hmmm????;)

They are called cable ties. Although they have evolved into many uses they were originally meant to hold bundles of cables together in electronic and other equipment (uh oh, the engineer in me is showing:eek: )

hehe.. I have (fortunately) never been arrested but i DID manage to get my self a pretty hefty speeding ticket yesterday! :eek:

OK--here are pics of the new cage. I used 50lb test fishing line to hang up vines, etc. I still need some more for the back right corner-no luck in finding ficus anywhere. Suggestions?
Leonnewage.jpg

how many lights do u use and wht r they ur basking light? uvb light? and is there a uv light there in the middle hope to here from u alan

I use Zoomed 10.0 flourescent for UVB. The basking lights are regular household bulbs. One is 75 watts and the other is a 40 watt more or less for added light. It is crucial to have a good thermometer, I use a digital with a probe with a long cord to make sure all temps are good.

cheers man helps alot im getting same size cage has yours well looks same to me wht im getting do u place light few inches away from the mesh.ur cham looks nice by the way looks big for how old he is.love to c new pics. alan

Plants-
This is the time of year you see hybiscus bushes shaped likt trees (@3 feet tall), might fit well into the enclosure for the top. (Lowes, HomeDepot...)

Lights- With this big a cage you've got options-

As far as the UVB, you might do well with a PowerSun or T-Rex bulb 100-150watt depending on the temp of the basking area for uvb (8-12 inches from basking area). On twice a day for 45 minutes.

Basking bulb 100-150 watt with basking hot spot in the mid nineties, ambient in the cage mid-eighties. On 10-12 hours.

***If you get these mercury vapor bulbs, make sure that your lamp is approved/ rated for this wattage. Normal ones may not go over 100 watts safely

There are different ways of achieving the same thing, so do your research and do what's best for you.

Back
Top Bottom