Eggs? Misreading signals? Please help

Gravlty

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? *She is a female veiled chameleon, about 5 years old from the previous owners information. She has been in my care for 1 month exactly as of today (August 17th)
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? *She does not allow me to handle, but i am able to check her belly during feedings
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? *I feed a mix of crickets and super worms. Regular schedule is 8-10 dusted crickets a day, and twice a week i do 5 dusted crickets and 2 or 3 dusted superworms. I gut load with flukers calcium quencher (came with the cham) and greens for the crickets, and greens for the super worms
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? *I use exo terra calcium powder on the crickets every day, zoo med calcium powder with d3 every 2 days, and exo terra multi vitamin twice a week (again, all came with the cham)
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? *I have a mist king starter misting setup that’s set on a two hour schedule for 30 second mist time i believe. i kept the previous owners setup
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? *Fecal matter has remained consistent since i started caring for her, im not sure what to look out for so to say either though. i don’t believe she has ever been tested, i am scheduling a checkup for her either way soon
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. * All of my care information is 100% being followed from the previous owner, so please share any and all improvements i can possibly make i want to create the best life i can for her. And also, she had a broken arm when she was a wee thing and it didn’t heal properly, it doesn’t seem to cause any issues with hunting, mobility, or anything else as she’s very aware of how to move her arm to get where she wants, and pretty swiftly at that lol

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? *It’s a screen enclosure, about 12inx12in on the base, and 2 and a half feet high
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? *I have a mini combo deep dome with a uvb bulb and a basking bulb, im unsure of exactly what brand the bulbs are. she is on a 8am-8pm light schedule
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? *Temp range is from 82-70 from top basking level to cage floor, i have two thermometer/humidity gauge combos set up on the upper and lower levels
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? *Humidity is about 45-50% usually, i have a really dry house so some days i hand mist to keep things even when it’s ranging to 45%
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? *No live plants
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? *Cage is located in my living room, in a tucked back corner away from the traffic area, no vents going at all in the summer and we don’t use the living room as much more than a hallway so she’s not bothered often except for me checking in. top of the cage height from the ground is about 4 feet
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? *Located on the upper east coast of the united states, in new hampshire

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.
About a week and a half after she was in my care, i noticed she had been hanging out around the ground and scratching at her felt floor, so being my first experience with a chameleon, i had figured this was what her previous owner had explained as her getting ready to lay eggs, this was on July 30th. By August 1st i had a lay bin set up, a 5 gallon bucket with 12” of moistened play sand, and i blocked off her screen with a dark colored thin sheet so she had privacy, ive seen that shes certainly walked in the dirt a couple times when i check in on the bucket, but she still hasn’t laid yet! i gave her about 3 days alone and put a few crickets in through the screen door so she wasn’t hungry if she wasn’t laying, and they were all gone every time i checked again. so i started feeding her again regularly after finally just looking in and seeing that she was continuing her normal routine of basking and then moving to lower levels beside the bucket, so i check it and found nothing in there. that was on august 8th that i checked. so i turned the soil and layer it flat after digging, re sprayed it to return moisture, and put it back into her enclosure, i let her be for 4 days this time with a crickets through the trap door because on day two i went to check inside but heard light scratching so i let her be. when i checked on her the day after she was just hanging out on the branches like normal so i checked the bucket again, and still there was nothing, but she looked skinnier without a doubt. so i put the bucket back in and as of now we are still just on a regular feeding schedule with no attention being paid to the bucket at all anymore from her side. i can’t help but wonder if i misread her signs or if i should be getting concerned and scheduling a vet appointment to make sure she is okay, i will include pictures below and i apologize for typing so much i just don’t want to leave out anything crucial that could help me make sure she is alright

--------------
first 3 pictures below from when she’s sleeping are from when i first brought her home during a she’d, and the last 4 are from the past 2 weeks. please let me know if there’s any other angles i can take to help get a better view. she won’t tolerate handling but she doesn’t mind my phone much, she’s more curious about it than anything

Attachments

• 134DF6F0-8960-4FD6-9BD6-31D04CF2EDCB.jpeg
    134DF6F0-8960-4FD6-9BD6-31D04CF2EDCB.jpeg
    94.1 KB · Views: 108
  • DFD24C3D-C48F-40F3-957E-990BC3440B74.jpeg
    DFD24C3D-C48F-40F3-957E-990BC3440B74.jpeg
    117.2 KB · Views: 119
  • EDFE9948-F852-4B7F-9B91-6CEB47ECA781.jpeg
    EDFE9948-F852-4B7F-9B91-6CEB47ECA781.jpeg
    206.8 KB · Views: 97
  • ABB0F13B-6F9B-41E2-9FBC-797AE5D0A024.jpeg
    ABB0F13B-6F9B-41E2-9FBC-797AE5D0A024.jpeg
    118.1 KB · Views: 113
  • 61C83541-99D7-4039-A6ED-FA2DF1BE2392.jpeg
    61C83541-99D7-4039-A6ED-FA2DF1BE2392.jpeg
    243.7 KB · Views: 95
  • AB4DAF4F-9E42-4E6F-B995-837868F68871.jpeg
    AB4DAF4F-9E42-4E6F-B995-837868F68871.jpeg
    162.4 KB · Views: 100
  • 24E005E8-DE2F-4674-A7F8-060F1A572726.jpeg
    24E005E8-DE2F-4674-A7F8-060F1A572726.jpeg
    201.6 KB · Views: 106
Has she dug a hole at all?
Is there any other substrate in the cage...like in planted pots where she could have dug?p

Has she dug a hole at all?
Is there any other substrate in the cage...like in planted pots where she could have dug?p
She hasn’t dug any holes so far at all, and everything is artificial so there’s no place she could have dug, i checked the entire cage meticulously anyway just in case but there’s no signs of eggs anywhere

I would put a wider pot in in this case and make sure there is a vine going down I to the laybin. She does look very plump.

As far as your husbandry she needs an linear t5 (or t8) UVB bulb. 5.0 on that size cage. D3 every other day might be a little much but will hope another keeper chimes in. You could consider switching to Repashy Calcium Plud LoD on all your feedings. The humidity getting down to 45% during the day is not an issue. There can and should he dry periods throughout the day.

If she does lay in the next few days I would take her to the vet for an xray to make sure she got all of them out since she is having an unusual lay.

Once you get through this lay I would suggest some live plants and a larger enclosure.

Back
Top Bottom