Help with jackson chameleon!

aussois

Hi all, i need help with my jackson chameleon!
He has with me like a year and he is already adult! I have him in a screen cage, with natural plants, 5.0 uvb and moonsone for the water.

the problem is that he loose his complety appetite he dont want to eat crickets,cocarach,worms, nothing! he isnt skin but im really worried, he is having a infected finger but he is already under treatment and i dont if it is the cause of the apetita problem! but any advice will be awesome!

Without knowing much more information, as Carol5208 has requested, I don't think anyone will be able to give you any useful advice.

Your Chameleon -T. jacksonii, male, adult, a year with me
Handling - only when it is necesary
Feeding - always crickects and rarely cocarach and super worms! like 3 or 4 per day at the middle of the afternoon
Supplements - zoomed calcium with d3 only 3 day of the week!
Watering - moonson like 1 o 2 per day and he always driking when i mist him!
Fecal Description - brown with white part, have not tested for parasites but he have a year with me without any problem of it and i always use a breed crickets

Cage Info:

Cage Type - screem cage 60x50x40
Lighting - exoterra 5.0 bulb and on everyday for 10 hours
Temperature - i'm from south america so we dont have stations here, between 27-29 in the day and 25- 23 for the nigth.
Humidity - Between 60 - 70 and up to 80 - 85 when i mist! i trying to use the humidifcar but he dont like when i on it he try to scape from the cage
Plants - yes living plants, two schefflera.
Placement - is on the table and its in front of a window but i live in 4 floor so he doesnt see anything that could cause stress
Location - Venezuela - South America

Reduce the D3 to once a month and use calcium without D3 two or three times a week. I have been told (maybe someone else can verify or refute this) that excess D3 supplementation can reduce appetite.

My Jackson's is a very picky eater, but he LOVES anything that flies. Can you get flies or moths? That might tempt him into eating something.

Until he eats, keep him very well hydrated - lots of warm mist and outside time in the sun might also perk him up.

Reduce the D3 to once a month and use calcium without D3 two or three times a week. I have been told (maybe someone else can verify or refute this) that excess D3 supplementation can reduce appetite.

My Jackson's is a very picky eater, but he LOVES anything that flies. Can you get flies or moths? That might tempt him into eating something.

Until he eats, keep him very well hydrated - lots of warm mist and outside time in the sun might also perk him up.

I agree definitely switch up the supplementation. My Jackson is.also a picky eater

Much of what you have been doing is good but there are some things you should change for him.

Lathis gave you some very good advice.
He is right that too much D3 causes a loss of appetite (and some other serious problems).
If your cham is allowed to drink more often and drink as much as he likes, it may help his body to excrete the excess D3.

Feeding - always crickects and rarely cocarach and super worms! like 3 or 4 per day at the middle of the afternoon
It may be difficult where you live but it is best if you can feed him as many different types of insects as possible.
The insects will be much more nutritious if they are fed nutritious food before your cham eats them.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/food/
Silkworms, Phoenixworms (black soldier fly larvae),flies and moths would all be good additions.
Flies and moths can be good to tempt chams into eating.

Supplements - zoomed calcium with d3 only 3 day of the week!

These are important--especially if your feeders have not been fed nutritious foods.
It is important not to give too much D3 and multivitamins---- but both of them, plus plain calcium are necessary.
He needs calcium without D3 the most--every other feeding.

Like this one:
http://lllreptile.com/store/catalog/reptile-supplies/vitamins-medicines-and-cage-cleaners/reptile-calcium-and-vitamins/-/rep-cal-calcium-without-d3/
Only 1 time each month calcium with D3

One time each month multivitamin

Like one of these:
http://lllreptile.com/store/catalog/reptile-supplies/vitamins-medicines-and-cage-cleaners/reptile-calcium-and-vitamins/-/zoo-med-reptivite-without-d3-2oz/

http://lllreptile.com/store/catalog/reptile-supplies/vitamins-medicines-and-cage-cleaners/reptile-calcium-and-vitamins/-/rep-cal-herptivite-supplement/

Watering - moonson like 1 o 2 per day and he always driking when i mist him!
Misting more often and/or adding a dripper may help him to eliminate excess D3 from his body .

Cage Type - screem cage 60x50x40
A screen cage is good but, if the cage is 60cmx50cmx40cm (which is about 24x20x16 inches)--that is truly too small for an adult male.
45x45x90cm (18x18x36 inches) is the smallest size cage for an Adult
Even though Jackson's are not large chameleons, they do need a larger cage.

Lighting - exoterra 5.0 bulb and on everyday for 10 hours
It is very important that the UVB bulb is replaced every 6 months. The bulb will still emit light--but not enough UVB light.
Light passing through glass windows does not contain UVB. The UVB gets converted into heat when it passes through glass or plastics.
10 hours to 12 hours of UVB light every day is good.

Temperature - i'm from south america so we dont have stations here, between 27-29 in the day and 25- 23 for the nigth.
If the 27-29 degrees is the temperature under a basking light--that is good.
The areas of the cage not near the light should be 21-26 Celsius.
If possible--a nighttime drop in temperature of 6 to 9 degrees Celsius is beneficial.

Humidity - Between 60 - 70 and up to 80 - 85 when i mist! i trying to use the humidifcar but he dont like when i on it he try to scape from the cage
He probably does not like getting sprayed with water directly.
A larger cage would allow him to escape the direct mist.

Placement - is on the table and its in front of a window but i live in 4 floor so he doesnt see anything that could cause stress
A problem with cages located in front of windows is that they may become very hot if the sun shines through the window.
Jackson's do not like hot temperatures

This caresheet has more information:
https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/jacksons/

I hope that you are able to make the changes and that your chameleon regains his appetite and good health.

Sleeping during daytime is a very bad sign.
Chameleons are prey, so they avoid showing all signs of illness until they are much too sick to hide their symptoms.

You mentioned that he has an infection on his foot.
It is very possible that the infection has spread to his bones or blood.
An antibiotic would be the best way to try to cure that and help him, if possible.

I know that veterinarians who treat chameleons may be rare in your country, but maybe a veterinarian near you can provide antibiotics, even if he does not usually treat chameleons.

If not, I would try to get a phone number to contact this man to see if he can help.
I found this reptile website info http://www.anapsid.org/societies/venezuela.html :

Assn Venezolana de Herpetologia
Pietro Battiston
Apartado de Correo 567
Valencia 2001/A

I found a second address for
Assn Veneolana de Herpetologia
Pietro Battiston
Apartado 205
San Juan de Los Morros 2301
Guarico, Venezuela

Maybe
this one?

http://diversidadbiologica.info.ve/...t=detailed&category=GCCO&subcategory=GCCO0004

i know this is a bad sing! maybe if for the nail problem, thanks for your advaice i will try to get a vet for him! we ll keep in touch! is somebody have anyo ther advice will be awesome!

Now i know what he have,he is suffering estomatistis i dindt know that since today because i see the sings! how i can treat him? any advice?

What you are talking about, in english is called stomatitis.
It is a bacterial infection of the mouth and it can progress to infect the bones.

He really needs a good vet in order to have any hope to recover because he needs antibiotics.

Back
Top Bottom