Help with cage

My feedback is in red! :)
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Veiled chameleon, female, pretty sure 7-9 months. A couple of weeks my care. We talked about a lay bin for her, which she needs as soon as possible. You can find playsand at a home improvement store.
  • Handling - 3-4 times a day. How does she react when you hold her? Most chameleons do not enjoy being held. I would reduce it to once a day.
  • Feeding - Crickets/super worms with calcium? 7-8 crickets, 4-6 super worms. Sometimes I’ll feed her crickets one day, superworms another day. This is too much for her age. If you feed to much, and then she basks, she produces more eggs. She looks to be about 6-7 months. I would do 3 feeders every other day, You can provide more than one different type of feeder every feeding as well.
  • Supplements - ZooMed Reptile Calcium Does this calcium have d3 in it?
  • Watering - I use a misting spray bottle. I mist a couple oftimes a day. I’ve seen her drink a couple ofmes but I am usually doing online classes so I’m more focused on that most of the time. Okay, 2-3 times a day is good. Do you have a fogger?
  • Fecal Description - Looks like a healthy dropping, brown, white, somewhat solid, idk how to describe droppings lol.
  • History - Not any I know about. Where did you get her?

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Glass, screen top. Probably around 20 in by 30 in. Can you please post a photo of the outside so I can see the size? Im terrible with dimensions lol.
  • Lighting - Flukers and ZooMed for the lights and domes. I usually have the lights on all day, and I turn them off before I go to bed. I saw compact bulbs in the photo. For the UVB this will need to be changed to a Linear Reptisun t5 5.0 or an Arcadia 6% I can link the reptisun for you.
  • Temperature - During the day the temp is usually 85 degrees Fahrenheit, and the humidity is around 65%. At night at its lowest rn it’s usually 65-70. This is also a bit high, chameleons do a drop in temp at night. During the day try to keep 60-70
  • Humidity - Humidity is around 65% - 75% During the day, it needs to be a bit lower. 30-50% During the night, it should be high.
  • Plants - Some live plants, some are pieces of cleaned off bamboo from my backyard. Any fake plants I suggest getting rid of. Veilds at plants in the wild, so if she were to eat a plastic leaf, that could bring harm. Once, we see an overall view of your enclosure we can see what we need to add. Not sure about the bamboo.
  • Placement - In the corner of my room, the vent is on the other side of the room. It’s on my dresser like 3 feet off the ground. The enclosure should be about as high as a regular dining room table.
  • Location - Southern California Near the coast.

Current Problem - Just wanna know how to improve my chameleons cage.
Photos,please :)

Another thing I forgot to mention was the basking bulb. what wattage do you use? What bulb?

Her cage has some Christmas decorations on the outside lol

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    204.5 KB · Views: 82
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Veiled chameleon, female, pretty sure 7-9 months. A couple of weeks my care. We talked about a lay bin for her, which she needs as soon as possible. You can find playsand at a home improvement store. Yep okay I ordered some soil, the soil in my backyard has a bunch of fertilizers in it so I ordered some reptile soil and I will have her lay box ready in like an hour from now.
  • Handling - 3-4 times a day. How does she react when you hold her? Most chameleons do not enjoy being held. I would reduce it to once a day. She actually likes being held, but yeah thanks.
  • Feeding - Crickets/super worms with calcium? 7-8 crickets, 4-6 super worms. Sometimes I’ll feed her crickets one day, superworms another day. This is too much for her age. If you feed to much, and then she basks, she produces more eggs. She looks to be about 6-7 months. I would do 3 feeders every other day, You can provide more than one different type of feeder every feeding as well. Okay thanks, I had heard on different sites that you feed then 7-8 and 8-9 so I just stayed in the middle, but she’s a bit sassy and only eats what and when she wants lol.
  • Supplements - ZooMed Reptile Calcium. It has d3 in it but I also have another one without d3
  • Watering - I use a misting spray bottle. I mist a couple oftimes a day. I’ve seen her drink a couple ofmes but I am usually doing online classes so I’m more focused on that most of the time. Okay, 2-3 times a day is good. I don’t have a fogger I use a spray bottle.
  • Fecal Description - Looks like a healthy dropping, brown, white, somewhat solid, idk how to describe droppings lol.
  • History - Not any I know about. I got her at a pet store.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Glass, screen top. Probably around 20 in by 30 in. Can you please post a photo of the outside so I can see the size? Im terrible with dimensions lol. Okay I posted a pic lol.
  • Lighting - Flukers and ZooMed for the lights and domes. I usually have the lights on all day, and I turn them off before I go to bed. I saw compact bulbs in the photo. For the UVB this will need to be changed to a Linear Reptisun t5 5.0 or an Arcadia 6% I can link the reptisun for you. Okay thanks.
  • Temperature - During the day the temp is usually 85 degrees Fahrenheit, and the humidity is around 65%. At night at its lowest rn it’s usually 65-70. This is also a bit high, chameleons do a drop in temp at night. During the day try to keep 60-70 okay yeah I was a little unsure about that too.
  • Humidity - Humidity is around 65% - 75% During the day, it needs to be a bit lower. 30-50% During the night, it should be high. ??
  • Plants - Some live plants, some are pieces of cleaned off bamboo from my backyard. Any fake plants I suggest getting rid of. Veilds at plants in the wild, so if she were to eat a plastic leaf, that could bring harm. Once, we see an overall view of your enclosure we can see what we need to add. Not sure about the bamboo. Yeah I read that the bamboo was safe and she really likes to climb and hide in it. I don’t have any fake plants, the bamboo is the plant that isn’t alive.
  • Placement - In the corner of my room, the vent is on the other side of the room. It’s on my dresser like 3 feet off the ground. The enclosure should be about as high as a regular dining room table. Yep that’s basically the height, except on a dresser not a table.
  • Location - Southern California Near the coast.

i would recommend getting a screen cage and she looks a little too big to be in that size enclosure, Ive heard a glass enclosure can work but i don't know much about them. she's adorable!

also just curious what do you mean when you say "she loves being handled" because some people think their cham loves being handled when it's actually terrified, if it's "falling asleep" in your hands it's a sign that they are giving up and basically letting a predator eat them :/ a sign of them enjoying being handled is crawling onto your hand :)

also just curious what do you mean when you say "she loves being handled" because some people think their cham loves being handled when it's actually terrified, if it's "falling asleep" in your hands it's a sign that they are giving up and basically letting a predator eat them :/ a sign of them enjoying being handled is crawling onto your hand :)

She likes walking around and crawling in your hand, she’s not terrified at all she’s really sassy, she does what she wants lol. She’ll let you know when she wants to go back home lol.

Okay. When she is being held, does she close her eyes or fall asleep? With the food, as long as she is eating what she needs to be eating only every other day (3 feeders) all good. :)

Supplementation:
Okay, so since you have one calcium with and one calcium without, you will need to add a multivitamin without d3. (Reptivite without d3) . How often are you giving d3?

https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petco...dmi8hUOIhQawSraye_xoCuSoQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
This is the UVB light.

Basking: These lights are tricky business because there is no specific temperature for each wattage. I'm quite surprised a 13 W would have that high of a temperature. My only concern is that with your girl with eggs, that temp is the MAX temp. Just monitor how often she goes under.

Ok thanks. I also have another question. So I just put her lay bin. Will she just lay them on her own, how do I get her to realize that she can lay her eggs in it?

Okay. When she is being held, does she close her eyes or fall asleep? No, when she is being held she likes to crawl up my shirt and my arms, she likes to get to my head and look over at everyone. She likes getting to the highest spot. And sometimes she will look out the window or just explore my room sometimes. But usually that doesn’t happen very often. With the food, as long as she is eating what she needs to be eating only every other day (3 feeders) all good. :)

Supplementation:
Okay, so since you have one calcium with and one calcium without, you will need to add a multivitamin without d3. (Reptivite without d3) . How often are you giving d3? I have given her d3 twice this week, but that’s it. I have only had her for around a week and a half.

https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petco...dmi8hUOIhQawSraye_xoCuSoQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
This is the UVB light.

Basking: These lights are tricky business because there is no specific temperature for each wattage. I'm quite surprised a 13 W would have that high of a temperature. My only concern is that with your girl with eggs, that temp is the MAX temp. Just monitor how often she goes under.

Back
Top Bottom