help with 1 month ambanja

also, just the fact that he's eating, does not mean that he's pooping.
You really do need to find some turd in the cage.
A healthy baby chameleon usually poops every day.

I thought the same thing. Better to be safe than sorry. At this point it's still worth getting in there and checking the leaves, if you have to, in order to see the poop and urates. If you don't want to disturb him, you can wait until he is sound asleep and then use a penlight or small flashlight to check the leaves. I didn't catch his name, have you named him yet? Sometimes it takes us a month or 2 to come up with the right name. You kinda want to get to know them first, sometimes.:)

his name is biggie smalls, although we haven't a clue on the sex, he is only the size of a quarter..smallest thing you've ever seen. He was herpnapped from a place that was selling him in horrid conditions

his name is biggie smalls, although we haven't a clue on the sex, he is only the size of a quarter..smallest thing you've ever seen. He was herpnapped from a place that was selling him in horrid conditions

Seems like that name suits him well. That's great that you're giving him a good shot at a healthy life. :) Let us know how he progesses.

went to the vet...I just had to be sure. It seems he is all good but the vet says because of his size that I should heat it up more for him and keep a red light on all night until he gets bigger. I have heard conflicting opinions on this but I guess I have to do what he says. Otherwise he says the little one appears healthy and active. Hmmm..this is so stressful

I would think that one of the most commom ways people kill chameleons is by overheating them and dehydrating them. Unless it is getting below 60-65 degrees I would still not put any night heat on him, and day basking heat should not be above 80 for a baby that small. A good functioning accurate thermometer (or two) is essential, and not any of those stick on things. Good luck with your baby-you are taking all the right steps.
PS-My first Veiled was less than a month old from a pet store and they told me to keep red heat lamp on all night in an aquarium. He lived 5 days. If your Vet does not see too many chams, and most don't, they will apply general lizard knowledge that often does not apply.

Thanks

no he is a good reptile vet. My house gets really cold because I leave the back door open for my dogs to go out at night. I will just put in a 50 red in one corner at night and see how it goes. It's a fresh air habitat so it's not like it holds the heat or anything. When I got up this morning my house temp was 58. Quite chilly.

Thanks

no he is a good reptile vet. My house gets really cold because I leave the back door open for my dogs to go out at night. I will just put in a 50 red in one corner at night and see how it goes. It's a fresh air habitat so it's not like it holds the heat or anything. When I got up this morning my house temp was 58. Quite chilly.

just be careful..
Always monitor the cage temp.
seriously only turn on the redlight if it's very cold.
they can withstand cold all the way till 60 F

Back
Top Bottom