Help! URGENT.

KarmaChameleon1337

Avid Member
A few months ago I sold a cage and complete list of everything they needed and even gave them most things for free, they got a Veiled. Now they just dumped him at my house because he's sick.

Upon looking at him and the stuff, all these months they had NO uvb because "uva is the same right? Lol".

He clearly has severe MBD and won't open his eyes or mouth. I'd be surprised if he survived the night. He is so skinny. I got a uvb on him asap and tried bugjuice but he won't open. He is so fragile.

Attachments

• 20140418_232240.jpg
    20140418_232240.jpg
    238.4 KB · Views: 190
He's trying so desperately to soak up sun.. probably the first time he's ever been exposed to UVB.

Attachments

• 20140418_234803.jpg
    20140418_234803.jpg
    233.3 KB · Views: 194
He has an abcess(the bump) on his nose that is going to have to be tended to by a vet. That could be one of the reasons why his eyes are closed. It can travel into the sinuses and effect the eyes. The MBD is not that bad at all. His legs don't look that curvy, but the one leg looks like it has an extra joint. I just don't see the MBD as being severe.

You are going to need a vet visit. That bump on the nose it either an abscess or another infection. he really doesn't look that bad, Carol is right looks like a break in one leg, but unfortunately we have seen much worse. Please find a good reptile vet near you ASAP.

Sigh I can't afford a vet for him right now... I just had to put my childhood cat down for cancer and being really old..

I know of two chameleon rescues but they are both in California. I don't know about him traveling across country. He has an infection in his sinuses. I have seen that on here numerous times with Veilds. They seem to be prone to it. It needs to be lanced and cleaned out and then he needs antibiotics. I don't know what to tell you if you cannot get him to a vet. He needs medical attention.

I would get him some natural sunlight if at all possible.

I'll second that suggestion, in addition to the vet visit to give him the best chance possible.
Since your friend has already proven him/herself irresponsible, your best bet is to drag that friend to the vet and have him/her sign the papers promising payment.

The advantages of natural sunlight cannot be understated.
While we who must keep chams indoors for most of their time have to add D3 to the diet via supplements, natural sunlight will allow a cham to make as much vitamin D as his body needs.

I truly believe that the psychological benefits of sunlight and outdoor time are at least as beneficial as the physical.

Wishing you success with the poor fellow!

I'll second that suggestion, in addition to the vet visit to give him the best chance possible.
Since your friend has already proven him/herself irresponsible, your best bet is to drag that friend to the vet and have him/her sign the papers promising payment.

The advantages of natural sunlight cannot be understated.
While we who must keep chams indoors for most of their time have to add D3 to the diet via supplements, natural sunlight will allow a cham to make as much vitamin D as his body needs.

I truly believe that the psychological benefits of sunlight and outdoor time are at least as beneficial as the physical.

Wishing you success with the poor fellow!

I've done four page essays on the effects of sunlight in.Psychology.

I think you can bring him back to health, but it will indeed take some work.
First, it he is not eating, and I would suspect that he is not, I would force feed with fortified bug juice:
This is what I use, about 1/2 cup of well gut loaded crickets, 1/2 cup water, 1/4 teaspoon spirulina, 1/4 teaspoon brewers yeast, a pinch of calcium powder, a pinch of multivitamin powder, 1/4 teaspoon of honey.
Blend everything up in a small food processor for a few minutes and put through a screen strainer, using to back of a spoon to squeeze the liquid from the pulp. Save and refrigerate the liquid, discard the pulp.
Using a (needleless) syringe, or a transfer pipett, get his mouth open and give him about 2cc's of the juice twice a day.

Make sure he stays warm, and plenty of UVB.

You will still need to get him to a vet for that abcess as it will spread infection to the sinuses and eyes.

He was finally getting better, the dude took him to the vet to get the abscess lanced but the vet tried to charge him 2,000 dollars just to cut off a 2 mm bump so they put him.down.

Back
Top Bottom