Help! She's Dying!

In a gravid female I'm always suspicious of a reproductive problem though. If a follicle got separated and migrated through the abdominal cavity it could end up anywhere and could have caused a local inflammatory response known as peritonitis. Sometimes it will affect the entire abdominal cavity, but if it was small then the body could have tried to wall it off, kind of like how a pearl is made. But walling it off with inflammatory cells is still irritating and can potentially affect the whole body through the blood stream. This would be my best guess given that it wasn't part of any internal organ and given her reproductive status.

Your observation of the string of "tumors" really suggested something like this to me as well, though I couldn't have explained it as well as ferret did. I've lost a couple of rescue females to sudden onset reproductive problems and the pm exposed odd clumps of what turned out to be follicles in different stages of development, peritonitis, adhesions, and just a mess. Poor little girl, so sorry you lost her.

Aww damn, I just got here. Sorry for your loss, and as said before, you did what you could. These animals are so fragile, sometimes there's just nothing you can do. I've been in your situation before, trying to save an animal that is so close to passing, so don't feel alone there. You came out with the same realization I did as well. It's sad, but it truly is a learning experience. You can take that experience and remember it with your many future chams. Good on you for trying and keeping her comfortable through it all. You're one of the few that seperate the good keepers from the d-bags that would otherwise just let her die on her own.
-Brian

I am so sorry for your loss. She fought so hard, and you never gave up. It was obvious how much you cared about her. :(

Back
Top Bottom