HELP: Reliable thermometer? safe plant?

rajon1080

Hi everyone,

I'm setting up a few new cages and am trying to get my basking temps right. I feel as though the cheaper thermometers reflect a higher temperature as a result of being directly under the light....sort of like one of those clock looking thermometers you would hang near your pool area. On a 90 degree day, those things will read like 110 if they're directly under the sun.

Can anyone recommend a relaible thermometer?

Also, can anyone advise if this plant will be safe for the chams?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Delray-Plants-8-3-4-in-Schefflera-Trinette-in-Pot-10TRI/203380973

That plant is what I have in my cham's cage, Schefflera arboricola. It's one of the most common plants you'll see on this forum for being safe/a good option. I've found mine to be hardy, loves water (i.e. doesn't drown even when I'm spraying his cage a lot) and doesn't seem to mind lacking sun either (maybe the uvb light works for it, too?)

He likes to take bites of it sometimes.

As for the thermometers, I'll let someone else chime in.

If you want a thermometer just head over to your local auto parts store and pick up a hand held temp gun. They are fantastic and you can point and shoot at any location for a reading. They should run about 25-35 bucks. There is no need to spend more than that :)

The plant is a good choice, Schefflera or Ficus Benjamina are common and safe plant types for chameleons, also easy to raise and maintain in cooler or less sunny climates.

Back
Top Bottom