Cham day napping setup help

Cliljenquist

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - Veild male 10 months bought him as a baby about 3 inches long
Handling - only when it's on his terms when he is eating out of his cup he will walk onto my hand
Feeding -medium crikets the large die too fast for me to keep 8-12 every day gut load is a blended frozen mix of veggies off of this sites list of recommended food. Occasional silk worm or horned worm when I have them two a day every other month when I have some
Supplements - rep cal calcium no D3 5 days a week (mon-fri) saterday I alternate between rep cal with D3 and then the next saterday is herptivite. Sunday is no dusting at all
Watering - dripper running allday about 1 drop every two seconds. Misting only in the afternoon for about 1 min other wise I would have to most when he is sleeping? Haven't seen him drink since he was a baby
Fecal Description - white mushy urates with a hard black green poop about every 2 days or so never tested for parasites.
History - heathy I am allway observing and checking him looking in his mouth when he eats and his eyes just to make sure he is healthy allways eats and sometimes eats dandylion greens and carrots shredded. I just moved him to a new house but he has not seemed stressed

Cage Info:
Cage Type - screen zoomed extra large 2x2x24
Lighting - 45 watt heat lamp had a 75watt but he was gapping UVB is a T5 zoomed 5.0uvb 2 feet long directly onscreen top cage. Also have 3 t5 bulbs in the same fixture with the UVB bulb they are daylight bulbs. Light schedual is 7:30am to 7:30 pm sometimes he is up before and asleep before the lights go on or off about an hour
Temperature - 85 basking that's 6 inches to the branch so his back is higher to the light 80 degrees under the UVB bulb agin to his feet when he is there and the floor is 78. Night temps are about 76 I have a Zoo med thermometer
Humidity -I don't know never measured
Plants -two pothos in medium sized plastic pots winding up his cage the dirt is covered with calcium sand hasn't been a problem yet no substrate in cage at all
Placement - bedroom next to bed no one is in there at all nearly all day air vent is above cage I can't do much about that though top of cage is 6 feet off floor bottom is 2 feet off floor I think I have 8 ft ceilings or higher fan is only on night at low.
Location - Arizona central desert about 110 day temp night is 85-90

Current Problem - Noticed his eyes are closed some times during the day like he is napping if I walk in and get close to the cage he kind of startles to wake then acts normal. Pic of set up

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 150
Please post some photos of your chameleon. Closing the eyes in the daytime is a sign of a problem. It could be an eye problem from the lights or being to dry in the cage. I recommend two long mistings a day and drip once every second. Do you have drainage on the cage? It could also be another health issue. I would take him to a reptile bet with chameleon experience for a check up and get a fecal done. He could have parasites if he's never been checked. Most here supplement with calcium without d3 at most feeding, calcium with d3 twice a month and a multivitamin twice a month. If he gets outside time then he may not need supplements as often. I would also recommend an addition plant in the enclosure. What's the green bucket in the back of the cage?

Back
Top Bottom