*HELP* Recently got a baby ambilobe panther chameleon

Lemoncham

Hi all, firstly Thankyou to everyone who reads and advices. We have recently bought a ambilobe panther female chameleon. As much as I’ve been researching for quite a fair few months now I feel like I’m soo confused. So we got her & was told she will be a baby pink colour when settled etc but in her house she’s mostly staying brown which I’ve read is depression? The temp is perfect for her at basking levels and lower down. I’ll post a few pics of her & was wondering if anyone could tel us her age they said about 4 months but I feel she may be younger than that. She is eating well and very active which we presume is a great sign as we was told she may not eat for a day or two. Which colours would you expect to see from her ? Sorry if I sound silly just want to get everything correct no amount of research is never enough! All advice welcome on what we can improve on etc! We was told the starter kit is a great setup to use atm. Since taking this pic we have added a few more bits! Thankyou again

Attachments

• 05002794-622C-4FDE-8BFE-E845FECEF03D.jpeg
    05002794-622C-4FDE-8BFE-E845FECEF03D.jpeg
    124.9 KB · Views: 141
  • AC19C0FB-AFCB-4390-BB00-8A3EB625BF92.jpeg
    AC19C0FB-AFCB-4390-BB00-8A3EB625BF92.jpeg
    113.5 KB · Views: 157
  • 30701E68-6889-4BDA-B7D0-6ADE68285097.jpeg
    30701E68-6889-4BDA-B7D0-6ADE68285097.jpeg
    163.2 KB · Views: 147
  • 938F3381-7BCE-4F45-A12A-E25C6C671693.jpeg
    938F3381-7BCE-4F45-A12A-E25C6C671693.jpeg
    109.2 KB · Views: 162
Hey @Lemoncham,

I personally don’t have a female panther, but I do see a couple of things that might help!

1. Your lighting should be a long UVB vs the coils or bulbs. I only see that double bulb lighting which is incorrect.

2. Your enclosure should not be on the ground. This will leave your chameleon very stressed out as they like to be high up in the trees/ above everything else.

These are the two things I see right off the bat. I’m sure others will be able to help out with anything else they see! They may also want you to fill out a husbandry form. 🙂

Baby girl is very stressed... Enclosure needs some work and she needs the right UVB lighting.

Can you fill this out for us to give you more help?

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Hey @Lemoncham,

I personally don’t have a female panther, but I do see a couple of things that might help!

1. Your lighting should be a long UVB vs the coils or bulbs. I only see that double bulb lighting which is incorrect.

2. Your enclosure should not be on the ground. This will leave your chameleon very stressed out as they like to be high up in the trees/ above everything else.

These are the two things I see right off the bat. I’m sure others will be able to help out with anything else they see! They may also want you to fill out a husbandry form. 🙂
Thankyou so much. I will be getting a UVB today then. This was the bulbs that came with the kit and I was assured it was the right thing but obviously not, so that will be getting changed today. Which one do you recommend ? & I will also look for a stand today to put her house onto. Thankyou for your advice greatly appreciated.

I'm gonna partake in this. A few things I see incorrect is. You want to take out the water bowl. She won't drink from it & it will just harvest bacteria. Also the bark on the bottom should be removed, she can accidently eat some & become impacted. Also another way to harvest bacteria. Should be bioactive or bare bottom.
Also should work on taking out fake plants asap another way to become impacted. Although I don't think panthers are big on plant eating really plants are still the way to go. You also need ALOT more branches preferably horizontal. & plants should be reppoted, wash throughly & rinsed & small rocks (bigger than eating size should be placed on top of soil to avoid fertilizer intake. I'm sure I missed a couple things & this is my first time responding on a chameleons behalf but those are some of the things I see. Good luck!

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? Ambilobe panther female chameleon. She has been in our care for 3 days.
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? As often as she would like to come out, we put our hands to her and she reaches out to us.
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? We are feeding her locust about 7-10 per day & will increase this as she gets older. This is the feed we brought when we brought her home. We feed her in the morning. I’ve been to trying to get help with gut loading so your advice would be very welcome.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? We are dusting them with repti calcium without D3.
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? We have a mister and we use misting twice a day for about 2 minutes each time.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? Not that I know of she’s been tested for parasites. Her toilet is like brown/black with some being white. Looks squidgy?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. When we bought her she was in a little tiny container and I asked why & the shop told us she had been in there for 7 hours and they hadn’t rehoused her yet to sell her. She came in with a male but he sold and the female was left behind.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? It is a mesh cage tall standing.
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? 7am - 7pm, we left it on longer last night as she was sitting underneath it. We have the reptibreeze chameleon kit, so that came with the bulb we are currently using, but have been advised to change it so that will be done today.
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? Temp at basking spot is 78 & doesn’t seem to get hotter which is what I am concerned about. But she will sit up there then when she has had enough she comes down, middle is 76 and bottom is 74.
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? We have a digital zoo med thermometer that came with the kit we are using to measure temps but it doesn’t have humidity on there, please can you advise which is best to measure humidity I am very happy to go out today to get all the bits I need to keep my panther very happy.
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? Nope
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? It is located in my frontroom placed on the back of the wall. I don’t have her off of the ground yet but I will be getting her a stand to go onto.
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? Essex.

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.
Her colours as I was told when she is relaxed she will be a nice pink colour but only in her house I see her quite dark colours I know this is a sign of depression. When we get her out she changed colours more to a orangey / pink so that has me thinking she isn’t happy with her home. All advice is welcome I will take on board and have a list of what I need to get to keep her very happy. Thankyou
--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Hi all, firstly Thankyou to everyone who reads and advices. We have recently bought a ambilobe panther female chameleon. As much as I’ve been researching for quite a fair few months now I feel like I’m soo confused. So we got her & was told she will be a baby pink colour when settled etc but in her house she’s mostly staying brown which I’ve read is depression? The temp is perfect for her at basking levels and lower down. I’ll post a few pics of her & was wondering if anyone could tel us her age they said about 4 months but I feel she may be younger than that. She is eating well and very active which we presume is a great sign as we was told she may not eat for a day or two. Which colours would you expect to see from her ? Sorry if I sound silly just want to get everything correct no amount of research is never enough! All advice welcome on what we can improve on etc! We was told the starter kit is a great setup to use atm. Since taking this pic we have added a few more bits! Thankyou again
Handling can stress chams out a lot so only handle her if absolutely necessary!

I'm gonna partake in this. A few things I see incorrect is. You want to take out the water bowl. She won't drink from it & it will just harvest bacteria. Also the bark on the bottom should be removed, she can accidently eat some & become impacted. Also another way to harvest bacteria. Should be bioactive or bare bottom.
Also should work on taking out fake plants asap another way to become impacted. Although I don't think panthers are big on plant eating really plants are still the way to go. You also need ALOT more branches preferably horizontal. & plants should be reppoted, wash throughly & rinsed & small rocks (bigger than eating size should be placed on top of soil to avoid fertilizer intake. I'm sure I missed a couple things & this is my first time responding on a chameleons behalf but those are some of the things I see. Good luck!
Thankyou for your reply, I’ve been looking for branches that are tall enough to go to the top of her house but have only seen quite small ones. So she will 100% be getting new branches ASAP. Which soil do you recommend ? Under the bark there is a grass fake bottom would that be okay? As I was told panthers aren’t big on plant eating that’s why we where advised on fake plants. Which real plants would you recommend ? The water bowl wasn’t there for her to drink from as I know she wouldn’t but only as again advised if she got too hot she would cool down. Not sure how true that is in fact but only having her less than a week I’m trying to find out what’s best. She is my first chameleon and I want to do the very best for her. Thankyou

Re checked her temp at her basking spot it now says 92. Im thinking I’m going to invest in a new thermometer.
I suggest you fill in the husbandry forms too so we can check everything else is ok, i think they've been posted already but if you could fill them out it would be very helpful! :)

No problem, the grass bottom is not recommended either. I did the same thing purchased the kit. Unfortunately everything including the size of the cage is wrong. You wanna take the fake grass & dirt out & just leave it bare. Or put a few live plants down there. Also you don't need to buy Branches. Outside ones will do. Just make sure there's no sap & you clean them well with just dawn dish soap & rinse them very well. I will link a couple things with recommended plants.

O I understand, I was very new as well not to long ago. & I got an unfortunate death because I got a very sick baby. But I learned very quickly on the Do's & Dont's & you will too ♡

Attachments

• 20210816_113140.jpg
    20210816_113140.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 76
  • Screenshot_20210820-024958_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20210820-024958_Samsung Internet.jpg
    222.7 KB · Views: 104
  • Screenshot_20210820-025019_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20210820-025019_Samsung Internet.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 104
No problem, the grass bottom is not recommended either. I did the same thing purchased the kit. Unfortunately everything including the size of the cage is wrong. You wanna take the fake grass & dirt out & just leave it bare. Or put a few live plants down there. Also you don't need to buy Branches. Outside ones will do. Just make sure there's no sap & you clean them well with just dawn dish soap & rinse them very well. I will link a couple things with recommended plants.

O I understand, I was very new as well not to long ago. & I got an unfortunate death because I got a very sick baby. But I learned very quickly on the Do's & Dont's & you will too ♡
Ooo DON'T PAY ATTENTION TO THE FIRST PIC. that's for veileds LOL those are my loves. I wasn't thinking. I'm pretty sure panthers are different on husbandry in some areas.

I have filled them out and posted them 😊
oh sorry I hadn't seen that, hello fellow brit though! If you're ever in Kent Lost World Reptiles is worth a visit, amazing shop for exotics! Also you'll need to dust with D3 once every 2 weeks, and what are the dimensions of the enclosure?

I am so annoyed that as a new panther parent we have been sold what is completely inappropriate for her. But I can only now take on all the advice and do better for her. 😊 yeah we all have to start somewhere and this is the best place to get the best advice so in no time she will have what she needs. Thankyou lovely x

oh sorry I hadn't seen that, hello fellow brit though! If you're ever in Kent Lost World Reptiles is worth a visit, amazing shop for exotics! Also you'll need to dust with D3 once every 2 weeks, and what are the dimensions of the enclosure?
Dust her food with d3 every two weeks? Sorry I’m very new to the world of chameleons but slowly learning! Haha we quite often take trips to Kent so I shall defo be visiting there! 41x41x76 cm

Np. Honestly i would get what you need outside first then you can return the whole set up & the expensive branches they sell. & buy the right size enclosure a a light dome (no color lights) you're linear t5 ho uvb bulb, a few plants. & can set that right up. Make sure her lights are on 12 hours a day & lights off 12 hours. Make sure her basking branch is 8-9 inches from the light. & your uvb light is horizontal over the cage. Make sure your gutloading your bugs (no dead ones) & doing a calcium without d3 supplement everyday. Except 2 times a month where you want the multi vitamin. My kit came with the right supplements so you just wanna buy those ones.

Sorry that you will basically have to re do everything. I know it's alot of info but it is exactly what happen to me. Unfortunately I couldn't return my kit. Soo I had to Rebuy everything. It's frustrating that we get wrong info. You can basically throw the care guide out. Most of what they tell you is wrong. I know everything I was told was wrong. But honestly you're on the right path. & there are tons of informative & kind people on this website so you're in the right place to learn.

Time for bed, but best of luck hun.

Np. Honestly i would get what you need outside first then you can return the whole set up & the expensive branches they sell. & buy the right size enclosure a a light dome (no color lights) you're linear t5 ho uvb bulb, a few plants. & can set that right up. Make sure her lights are on 12 hours a day & lights off 12 hours. Make sure her basking branch is 8-9 inches from the light. & your uvb light is horizontal over the cage. Make sure your gutloading your bugs (no dead ones) & doing a calcium without d3 supplement everyday. Except 2 times a month where you want the multi vitamin. My kit came with the right supplements so you just wanna buy those ones.

Sorry that you will basically have to re do everything. I know it's alot of info but it is exactly what happen to me. Unfortunately I couldn't return my kit. Soo I had to Rebuy everything. It's frustrating that we get wrong info. You can basically throw the care guide out. Most of what they tell you is wrong. I know everything I was told was wrong. But honestly you're on the right path. & there are tons of informative & kind people on this website so you're in the right place to learn.

Time for bed, but best of luck hun.
Wow tons of typos, sorry lol🤦‍♀️

Hey @Lemoncham,

Which uvb bulb would you recommend ? I’ve seen a fair few different ones but unsure which one is correct. Thankyou

Back
Top Bottom