help please

Jambi420

Hello, this is my first thread and i am new here, i feel as if i have already read a lot of information on chameleons, as i am dealing with my first one. The only problem is i can not find much help with my situation, i have an 8 day old ambilobe panther(hatched on april 20th) and i need to know what all is best for a little guy like this. Thank you

Riley

Thats kind of a really broad question lol.
If you fill this out and such I'm sure some of the senior members or just well informed members in general will jump right in and tell you what you can do to improve for such a young little guy.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Location - Where are you geographically located?

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Current Problem - The current problem that you are concerned about.

8 days old is really young especially for a first time chameleon owner. Where did you get him? Up across the top is has a Search tab and I would search for baby info and read up on caring for babies. My guys were 7 and 5 months when I got them.

Oh wow hes tiny!

When they are that small you can actually keep them in a 10g fish tank with fake vines and a 5.o UV light (tube) across the top. You really dont need a basking light when they are that young as they cannot thermoregulate and easily dehydrate.

When your guy gets a little older, you would want to move him into a well ventilated enclosure (such as an all screen cage) Also as he gets older you will want to offer a basking lamp, a normal 60w house bulb will do the job.

Feedings should be all day everyday! When these guys are little they will eat you out of house and home! Leave pin head crickets or fruit flies in with him all day buy be sure that you dont leave any in at night with him as crickets can bite :eek:.

Supplements: When i had my small guy/girl (they were 3-4 months old not 8 days) I was told that i could use the following schedule: (please correct me if i am wrong)

Calcium w/o D3, 2-3 days a week

Calcium w/ D3, 2-3 days a week

Multivitamin, 1 day a week.

as they get older you want to provide plain calcium 4-5 times a week D3 2x monthly and Multivitamins 2x monthly.

Also, raising babies is very difficult if there is a way to get an older one (maybe 4 months or so) that may be the best.

cage type-10 gallon aquarium
lighting- 5.0 exo terra uv(9am to 930pm). 27w lightbulb for heat
temp-83-88 in basking, 70-75 on opposite end of tank
humidity-60%, which rises after each mist
plants-fake vines
placement-on top of my dresser(about 4 1/2 ft high) low traffic
location-oklahoma city ok

chameleon-8 day old ambilobe panther(had for 4 days)
handling-3 times total so far
feeding-1/8 in crickets from "alligator alley" pet store in okc
supplements-none, i read no dusting at this age
watering-misting 4x a day
fecal-brown, with something that is white, never been tested for parasites
history-it appears that he still has a small part of the ambilical(sp) chord
problem-he seems to be sleeping much of the day

Too hot! Probably no basking light.....a baby needs to be around 80.
He should not be sleeping in the day time.
Most people feed babies fruit flies and pin head crickets
He will need a screen cage later

Do not handle it if you can help it. Turn off the heat light-80 is the optimal temp as mentioned. You do want to dust at this age, and make sure the feeders are small enough. Who gave you such a young Panther?

He needs UV. Is your UV light the compact coil type or the long tube?

You are lucky to have Julirs helping you....she's had many babies before.

The coil ight may be what is causing him to be "sleeping". Get a linear flourescent tube. As long as your temps are high 70's very low 80's I would turn off the heat lamp at this age.

The coil ight may be what is causing him to be "sleeping". Get a linear flourescent tube. As long as your temps are high 70's very low 80's I would turn off the heat lamp at this age.

if possible get some pics of cage and chameleon on the site so we can have a look at what everything looks like!

Back
Top Bottom