Help please

Chell

Please help. My boyfriend sister got a chameleon 2 weeks ago from petco. She told me it’s a veiled. After looking at it I realize it’s a Jackson and told her that. I only knew this because I had a friend who had one and had the horns. She was keeping it in a fish tank with a bowl of water. And a tray of meal worms. She never gave it crickets because she said at the pet store they were only eating meal worms. She did have one heating lamp on it. She also didn’t have any supplements. Her children were constantly picking her up. I talked her into giving her to me. I called the friend of mine who had a chameleon for 6 years that passed away a few months ago. His mother gave me the cage and some stuff like the lights and a few fake plants. I know a lot of people on her are saying glass is not good but he used it for 6 years and not had a problem. I’m asking for help with the right lights I’m using the ones that came with it. I also read temp 70-82 and humidity 50 at day and night temp 60-70 and humidity 100? Of any other help please let me know. Thank you

Attachments

• 6C9BA6BC-0B74-438A-8309-EE941F7B41E8.jpeg
    6C9BA6BC-0B74-438A-8309-EE941F7B41E8.jpeg
    291.1 KB · Views: 136
  • DC9BBE64-C976-4E06-AFDC-27ADE6BF6929.jpeg
    DC9BBE64-C976-4E06-AFDC-27ADE6BF6929.jpeg
    253.9 KB · Views: 126
  • B8CC6575-5940-4098-AF73-CE3B87705321.jpeg
    B8CC6575-5940-4098-AF73-CE3B87705321.jpeg
    233.7 KB · Views: 144
  • ED1ECFA8-19EF-409B-850E-C9A86F02599D.jpeg
    ED1ECFA8-19EF-409B-850E-C9A86F02599D.jpeg
    176.8 KB · Views: 134
  • 3F725080-DA05-49A7-ABD9-8718A81BFBE6.jpeg
    3F725080-DA05-49A7-ABD9-8718A81BFBE6.jpeg
    221.5 KB · Views: 135
Unfortunately, there is a lot wrong husbandry here.

I would take the cham to the vet for a fecal test because he's from petco. The fecal test will help you to identify any parasites that your cham could have.

Here's a good start for your husbandry, as they have the most up to date information. Read thru every module.

https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

That can at least give you starting point on corrections. You can also check out neptune the chameleon on YouTube. Great videos for learning and she breaks it down pretty simply.

Please fill this out with as much detail as possible and we can all get started on correcting your husbandry.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

• Your Chameleon - Jackson female. No clue about age.How long has it been in your care?3 days
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? Only once to put her in her new cage
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? She had only meal worms from other owner. So I have been doing meal worms and trying crickets. She’s not to big into crickets yet I have only got her to eat 2 so far. What amount? I put 3-5 crickets in her cage 5 meal worms. I have also tried wax worms she ate 2 so far. And fruit flys. What is the schedule? I try morning an hour after she wakes. Then again around 4. How are you gut-loading your feeders? I brought commercial food from pet store.
  • Supplements - calcium exo terra every day no d3. And have not done vitamin yet as I read that it’s once a month? I would like some help of what to get since I plan on doing that this weekend.
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? I have the little dripper.How often and how long to you mist? I mist every 2 -3 hours by hand Do you see your chameleon drinking? I have seen her drink once at the little dripper her whole mouth on it. And once today off the real plant the little dripper was dripping on.
  • Fecal Description - seen 2 times both with white at top and black on bottom. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?no
  • History. Took from someone who claims it came from petco

Cage Info:

• Cage Type -all glass not sure anything else it was giving to me. Posted picture
  • Lighting - Not sure also giving to me posted picture? What is your daily lighting schedule? I turn lights off at 8:30pm and back on at 8:30 am
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created cage floor is 70 and basking spot is 82? Lowest overnight temp? 60 How do you measure these temps? Posted a picture of the temp gadget.
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? 50 all day and 70 at misting.How are you creating and maintaining these levels? Spray misting.What do you use to measure humidity? Same gadge as temp
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? Pothos
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? In a bedroom.Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? Maybe a little high traffic but not all day long. At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? Up on a dresser so about 6 feet
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? America Massachusetts

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about. I never had a chameleon and I rescued it from a awful condition and just want to make a better life for her.

Hi and welcome! :) I know very little about husbandry for Jackson’s but there are several members here who can help guide you. What I can tell you is basic husbandry for almost any chameleon.
Using a glass enclosure like yours is ok. You just need to ensure that it has adequate air ventilation.
You need to change your uvb to a linear T5 fixture with a 5.0 or Arcadia 6% bulb. The screw in bulbs only provide adequate uvb levels in a very short and narrow area...like 2” away only. Then basking area needs to be about 8-9” away from the light.
Attaching feeder and ‘gutloading‘ sheet. The commercial gutload sold by pet stores (cricket cubes, etc) will keep the bugs alive but offer little to no nutrition. The healthier your feeders are, the higher level of nutrition they will provide. Rule of thumb for feeder size is they need to be smaller than the space between your chameleon’s eyes. Your chameleon looks like a young one, so you’ll want to feed it daily...not sure how many bugs to give though as I can’t determine it’s age.
Jackson’s are more sensitive to some supplements. A great source of info is here. https://chameleonacademy.com/the-jacksons-chameleon-trioceros-jacksonii/
The chameleon academy has perhaps the most accurate and up to date info on care and keeping, so make sure to fully explore all the site offers. The podcasts are especially great.
I personally would take the dripper out and place it somewhere on top. You also need to add more branches and/or vines. Fill the empty spaces with more little chameleon roads. As your pothos grows, drape the vines around the branches and provide lots of shaded areas for your cham to hide or just get out of the ‘sun’. Sorry that I can’t be of more help.
Btw, thank you for rescuing this little sweetie. 💗
F271AEB3-9A82-4CB4-9A95-308AE0D735E9.jpeg
8CC67AD6-A615-4C34-9C8B-3271D4858FD0.jpeg

Hi and welcome! :) I know very little about husbandry for Jackson’s but there are several members here who can help guide you. What I can tell you is basic husbandry for almost any chameleon.
Using a glass enclosure like yours is ok. You just need to ensure that it has adequate air ventilation.
You need to change your uvb to a linear T5 fixture with a 5.0 or Arcadia 6% bulb. The screw in bulbs only provide adequate uvb levels in a very short and narrow area...like 2” away only. Then basking area needs to be about 8-9” away from the light.
Attaching feeder and ‘gutloading‘ sheet. The commercial gutload sold by pet stores (cricket cubes, etc) will keep the bugs alive but offer little to no nutrition. The healthier your feeders are, the higher level of nutrition they will provide. Rule of thumb for feeder size is they need to be smaller than the space between your chameleon’s eyes. Your chameleon looks like a young one, so you’ll want to feed it daily...not sure how many bugs to give though as I can’t determine it’s age.
Jackson’s are more sensitive to some supplements. A great source of info is here. https://chameleonacademy.com/the-jacksons-chameleon-trioceros-jacksonii/
The chameleon academy has perhaps the most accurate and up to date info on care and keeping, so make sure to fully explore all the site offers. The podcasts are especially great.
I personally would take the dripper out and place it somewhere on top. You also need to add more branches and/or vines. Fill the empty spaces with more little chameleon roads. As your pothos grows, drape the vines around the branches and provide lots of shaded areas for your cham to hide or just get out of the ‘sun’. Sorry that I can’t be of more help.
View attachment 291492View attachment 291493
Thank you!

View attachment 291492View attachment 291493
If I use the uvb light you told me to use. Do I use it as a basking light too? Or do I need a special basking light also?

Is this a good one?
You want to make sure it's a ho t5. Something like this. The bulb that fits in the hoods are 2 inches smaller than the fixture.

**You want the light to fit across the length of your enclosure or diagnolly across. 😊

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210204-213226_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210204-213226_Chrome.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 82
  • Screenshot_20210204-213201_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210204-213201_Chrome.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
I don’t mind the price but I need one from like Amazon Walmart any co pet stores. I have a block on my bank where I can only use my card on certain websites
Is there an LLLreptile near you they should have some just call ahead. Also petco and petsmart will most likely not have the right one Amazon I think they do let me find the link

I would say it’s better to get it on pangea because it’s cheaper than some of these options I think a 24” or a 36”would be good. Can you measure the cage preferably the length but all of it would be good too hopefully someone who has a Jackson’s can review your husbandry fully!

Back
Top Bottom