help please

TreelionsUK

Hello i got a ampiskiana panther chameleon about 3 weeks ago when i first got him i noticed that he was quite stressed and scared of me very dark in colour almost black,and would hide away.
Any hand movements or if i looked in another direction would be seen as a threat and cause him to puff up and strike towards me then he would flatten his body and try to hide even when on my hand.
The chameleon was put in one of my high vivs well above head level with ample planting and cover,i have not been looking at him and have been avoiding eye contact,i even draped plants over the screendoor so he would not see me,he has been feeding well and i have been cleaning his viv daily and his stools seemed slightly smelly and "loose"(not watery or slimey)
I was so worried about him that i had to check him over,he seems ok slighty slimey mouth, popped him down the vets and was told that he is stressed out...I KNOW THIS!!!
I have made evey effort trying to make this chameleon feel safe but its not working...I really dont know what to do next???
I know some of you guys deal with WC animals and someone out there must have had a problem like the one im having now,My animal is not WC but is probably behaving simalar to a fresh stressed import.
I am not new to panther chameleons and have many,my temps are fine they are misted 4 times daily and fed gutloaded feeders

Please advise
Many thanks
Luke

We have had our Veilds for about 3 weeks also at first they were in the livingroom so we could look at them but they seemed to be stressed all the time so we finally put them in their own room and we go in 3-4 times a day to take care of them. They seem to be a lot better and not stressed. So I don't know if you have him in a private room or in a higher traffic room but if in high traffric I suggest do like we did and make it a private room. I am no expert but just speaking from recent experience. Good luck

Hello i got a ampiskiana panther chameleon about 3 weeks ago when i first got him i noticed that he was quite stressed and scared of me very dark in colour almost black,and would hide away.
Any hand movements or if i looked in another direction would be seen as a threat and cause him to puff up and strike towards me then he would flatten his body and try to hide even when on my hand.

I know some of you guys deal with WC animals and someone out there must have had a problem like the one im having now,My animal is not WC but is probably behaving simalar to a fresh stressed import.
I am not new to panther chameleons and have many,my temps are fine they are misted 4 times daily and fed gutloaded feeders

Please advise
Many thanks
Luke

Some chameleons acclimate quickly and some don't.
This off course assuming that you have the correct husbandry for your chameleons (which i think you do).

The best thing you can do is give him privacy and only bother him when it's necessary (such as feeding, misting, and cleaning time).
Some chameleons are more insecure than others.
So you should move slowly around him.

If after 1 month he still stressed out, try free ranging him.
I knew 1 member who constantly have a stressed out veiled regardless the perfect husbandry. She ended up free ranging the chameleon to fix the problem.

We have had our Veilds for about 3 weeks also at first they were in the livingroom so we could look at them but they seemed to be stressed all the time so we finally put them in their own room and we go in 3-4 times a day to take care of them. They seem to be a lot better and not stressed. So I don't know if you have him in a private room or in a higher traffic room but if in high traffric I suggest do like we did and make it a private room. I am no expert but just speaking from recent experience. Good luck

Hello have a Reptile Room with all my chams in the only traffic in this room is me at 6:45am till 7:30am in the morning to feed and spot clean and mist and then at 6:15PM till lights out at 7:30 every weekday
This chameleon cannot see other chameleons in the room

Thanks for the advice but the room is peaceful and undisturbed during nearly all of the day

Maybe even tho he can't see the other chams he still some how knows they are there. Try moving him somewhere else for awhile. Jann

Some chameleons acclimate quickly and some don't.
This off course assuming that you have the correct husbandry for your chameleons (which i think you do).

The best thing you can do is give him privacy and only bother him when it's necessary (such as feeding, misting, and cleaning time).
Some chameleons are more insecure than others.
So you should move slowly around him.

If after 1 month he still stressed out, try free ranging him.
I knew 1 member who constantly have a stressed out veiled regardless the perfect husbandry. She ended up free ranging the chameleon to fix the problem.

Thankyou, i may need to give him more time to settle,but even a glance at him sends him hiding behind what he is on,i am worried because he is never out and about basking ect,, but he is feeding

Man these things are hear to test us:) but it makes me worry so much when all the others seem like they are having fun,i feel sorry for the poor guy:(

Last edited:
Maybe even tho he can't see the other chams he still some how knows they are there. Try moving him somewhere else for awhile. Jann

This unfortunaty is impossibe,its too cold everywhere else,he would not get misted by the mist system and the rest of the house is too busy and also smokers smoke in the house,
At least in the cham room the air is clean,temps are perfect and humidity and water is avalible for him and it is also peaceful

Back
Top Bottom