HELP Please with my chameleon!

Abby

Hello everyone and thank you for reading this. I dont know what is wrong with my chameleon I hope somebody can help me.
I filled this out:

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - He is a male Jackson. He is between a year and a half and 2. He has been under my care for a little over 6 months.
Handling - I handle him maybe once every few days. or if i dont see him drinking water on his own. He doesnt seem to be bothered by it like other chameleons.
Feeding - I feed him mainly crickets. About 10-15 every 2 days. He wont eat any more than that.
Supplements - I use Rep Cal for the calcium and Sticky tongue for the multivitamins. Rep cal every time i feed him and Sticky tongue 2 times a month.
Watering - I Have a dripped on top of the cage. I miss 3 times a day. Yes most of the time i see him drink and when i dont, i give him water with a manual dripper. I dont know if you know what i mean.
Fecal Description - Its black and yellow. His previous owner didnt tell me anything about parasites.
History - He was a year old when i got him and his previous owner just told me he was healthy.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - His cage is all screen. 16x16x30
Lighting - I have the Repti sun 5.0 and a basking bulb by zoomed. I turn them on at 6am and off at 6pm. except the basking bulb i turn it off if the temp gets too high.
Temperature - Basking spot i keep it around 85. the daytime temperature is around 75-80. Night temp is around 70. I use a thermometer.
Humidity - Unfortunately i dont have a way to tell the humidity.
Plants - Yes, I think its called Hawaiian umbrella. I also have vines and some fake leaves.
Placement - Its in a guest room. No its not a high traffic area. Its not very high. I would say 4 feet.
Location - Im in california.

Current Problem - He is very weak and wont open his eyes. This started last night. But he hasnt eaten in a few days. He wont eat and only drinks a little bit of water when i put it on his mouth. And he turned very dark. He grabs on to my hand if i hold him but he wont hold on to the branches. He was very healthy until yesterday. If anyone can help me i would really appreciate it and ask me any questions you need to know. I called the only vets i know around here that can see him but they are closed. Thank you

Supplements sound like too much for a jackson.
Is this the same schedule you used for the female?
You may need to stop feeding for a week straight, and then do calcium 2 times a week, and the multi 1 time a month.
I recently had an over supplementation issue with my jackson.
She became weak, sort of like your guy.
Xanthoman recomended what I have just recomended you. She is doing lots better.
If the chameleon has been eating regularly, this wont hurt to try.
Thats the only thing that stands out to me other than I would mist more.

Thank you i will try that.
I dont think hes dehydrated. Its not yellow/orange. Its more White/yellow.

Hi, Abby!

Understand that you did exactly what most here would have told you to do. However, just like people, chameleons can have different sensitivities and these smaller guys seem more likely to find the "normal" schedule a bit excessive.

I think Solid Snake has given you great advice.

I do think that dehydration is at least part of the problem. I don't know how long you mist him for, but I think you should increase it. You might even consider putting him in the shower.

Sometimes they need a good rain to convince them it's okay to just drink up....

One other question: the crickets, are they being gutloaded? (by that I mean, well fed before put in to be eaten)

Hi, Abby!

Understand that you did exactly what most here would have told you to do. However, just like people, chameleons can have different sensitivities and these smaller guys seem more likely to find the "normal" schedule a bit excessive.

I think Solid Snake has given you great advice.

I do think that dehydration is at least part of the problem. I don't know how long you mist him for, but I think you should increase it. You might even consider putting him in the shower.

One other question: the crickets, are they being gutloaded? (by that I mean, well fed before put in to be eaten)
I put him in the shower a couple of hours ago and he did drink water. Yes they are i use Fluckers cricket food and the cubes for water.

Hi, Abby!
You might even consider putting him in the shower.

/\
Its very light yellow on the part where its suppose to be white.

Its my understanding that some discoloration in jacksons urate CAN be normal.
I give mine 8 mistings a day. I would do what you can to give more mistings.
I think a shower in the morning would be a great idea. Maybe do a shower every other day while hes "fasting" and see if the urates improve.

Thank you so much i will try that. But why wont he open his eyes? He moves and everything. not as he should but he moves.

I put him in the shower a couple of hours ago and he did drink water. Yes they are i use Fluckers cricket food and the cubes for water.

Okay, keep up with the showers. You'll probably get a bit of push back on the "Flucker's cricket food" thing....there's a huge preference for using fruits and veggies here.

My view is that's probably acceptable. Though, you might want to check the nutritional info on the container. It's possible that it contains D3 and so, your chameleon is getting D3 at every feeding.

An over dose of D3 (only the kind from supplements) can affect a lot of body functions.

It's possible that it contains D3 and so, your chameleon is getting D3 at every feeding.

I have some, the bottle says nothing about D3. I throw a little of it in on occaision. I dont like to use it, because the crickets LOVE it. So much that they ignore the fresh food in there:mad: When I use it, I sprinkle a little of it on wet dandelion. They destroy the whole dandelion:D

Feeding - I feed him mainly crickets. About 10-15 every 2 days. He wont eat any more than that.
Temperature - Basking spot i keep it around 85. the daytime temperature is around 75-80. Night temp is around 70. I use a thermometer.
Humidity - Unfortunately i dont have a way to tell the humidity.

Depending on crix size, he's eating quite a lot.
Night temp is too high and I suspect there isn't a cooler retreat in his cage during the day either. The whole cage does not need to be that warm. He can move closer to the basking bulb if he needs to.
Humidity is something you MUST know for montane chams. Don't bother with the cheap pet store analog hygrometers...get a decent digital type from an electronics or home improvement store. Even if you mist him multiple times a day, if the air is very dry in the room he can still dehydrate between drinks fairly easily.

If his eyes are closed all the time then there is something wrong and I would recommend taking it to a vet.

Is it the long linear tube UVB light that you are using?

Back
Top Bottom