Help please! Sleeping during the day and not eating!

Alex_Boris

Hi! My Cham slowed down on eating like a month ago. Would eat about once in 3 days. Than the cold weather hit Florida for a good week and he slowed even more. But when he would decid to eat he would eat good. Mostly super worms, hornworms and once in awhile wax worm. He stopped to be interested in crickets and never were big on roaches. So about week ago may be hitting a week and a half mark now he stopped eating at all. Like no matter what. I moved the cage next to the window so he can get extra light from there too but it seemed worsen the situation he keep chilling on the same spot barely walking around the cage. And even refuses to the treats like wax worms. Currently stores are out of hornworms so I don’t even know how to keep him hydrated( he doesn’t like showers as much). Today I fir the first time I’ve noticed him sleeping :/ at 3 pm after a shower thought may be he will drink a little. Idk how to stimulate him. Technically he didn’t have any food/vitamins/moisture for 1,5 weeks. Please help. I will attach the pics. Thank you

Attachments

• 4ED39D10-BB9A-4F80-9278-5E618573D323.jpeg
    4ED39D10-BB9A-4F80-9278-5E618573D323.jpeg
    235.6 KB · Views: 122
Hi! My Cham slowed down on eating like a month ago. Would eat about once in 3 days. Than the cold weather hit Florida for a good week and he slowed even more. But when he would decid to eat he would eat good. Mostly super worms, hornworms and once in awhile wax worm. He stopped to be interested in crickets and never were big on roaches. So about week ago may be hitting a week and a half mark now he stopped eating at all. Like no matter what. I moved the cage next to the window so he can get extra light from there too but it seemed worsen the situation he keep chilling on the same spot barely walking around the cage. And even refuses to the treats like wax worms. Currently stores are out of hornworms so I don’t even know how to keep him hydrated( he doesn’t like showers as much). Today I fir the first time I’ve noticed him sleeping :/ at 3 pm after a shower thought may be he will drink a little. Idk how to stimulate him. Technically he didn’t have any food/vitamins/moisture for 1,5 weeks. Please help. I will attach the pics. Thank you
Can you imagine yourself in solitary confinement?? That how your chameleon feels like. Look at my setup !

Attachments

• 20210103_121422.jpg
    20210103_121422.jpg
    232.5 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
Can you post some more photos of your chameleon please? Has there been a drop in ambient temperature in your house?

Can you Madge and yourself in solitary confinement?? That how your chameleon feels like. Look at my setup !
Well, when I’m removing the shower curtains from both sides he freaks out and doesn’t want to move and even hides from me when I’m approaching the cage.

Last edited:
Can you post some more photos of your chameleon please? Has there been a drop in ambient temperature in your house?
Well we keep out house at 70 as AC and outside it dropped a couple of times to 40 but we had heater on for 65. Plus I have a heating pad underneath the cage.

It’s pretty tough to snap a pic when he chills in the back of the cage:/ last two pics are at night time took a couple of weeks ago

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    216.3 KB · Views: 91
  • 6193AC61-4A09-44B8-AD5A-780F0695E270.jpeg
    6193AC61-4A09-44B8-AD5A-780F0695E270.jpeg
    213.8 KB · Views: 91
  • C62E6E56-497D-4D5D-9ACA-6EEDDD61E4C9.jpeg
    C62E6E56-497D-4D5D-9ACA-6EEDDD61E4C9.jpeg
    248.6 KB · Views: 97
He may be on a hunger strike although I dont know much about those. From the things you describe I think you should take him to the vet to rule out internal problems maybe. I will attach a few websites that may help. Sorry I cant help much I hope you figure this out.

https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-behavior-refusing-to-eat/

https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/veiled-chameleon-eyes-closed-not-eating.159560/

I would also suggest filling out the husbandry form below so we can rule out other problems and everyone can help you a bit better :)

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful

It could be that he just got chilly, but I'm going to tag a few people who would know more than me. Also with the sun setting earlier, he might be getting ready for bed before the enclosure lights go out, especially if he can see the sunset outside. However, I don't live in FL so I'm not sure how significant this actually is.

Probably unrelated but I do agree that he could use a few more live plants in his enclosure for coverage.

@Beman @MissSkittles @jannb @kinyonga

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 78
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 76
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    186.2 KB · Views: 82
  • BD5FCBE9-B487-43A5-97AE-ACADF996ED27.png
    BD5FCBE9-B487-43A5-97AE-ACADF996ED27.png
    226.3 KB · Views: 72
It could be that he just got chilly, but I'm going to tag a few people who would know more than me. Also with the sun setting earlier, he might be getting ready for bed before the enclosure lights go out, especially if he can see the sunset outside. However, I don't live in FL so I'm not sure how significant this actually is.

Probably unrelated but I do agree that he could use a few more live plants in his enclosure for coverage.

@Beman @MissSkittles @jannb @kinyonga
I have an XL cage coming this coming Friday and all additional big plants are ready for that cage to set up.

So I just get ahold of the store that has hornworms. It is 1,5 hrs away but I will drive since our local pet store doesn’t know when they will have anything.
What if I will feed him for couple of days with just hornworms ( unless he decided to eat other ones)? Just to help him to restore hydration a little bit, so he can get some calcium as well?

No we bought him from a breeder when he was like 3 months old.
Show him some love and make him feel that he is free to come out from his cage. I would remove all curtains and put the cage close to the window. They are not stupid bro, they can see what is bad and good. Just get the bigger cage and remove the door; let him free range little bit.

So I just get ahold of the store that has hornworms. It is 1,5 hrs away but I will drive since our local pet store doesn’t know when they will have anything.
What if I will feed him for couple of days with just hornworms ( unless he decided to eat other ones)? Just to help him to restore hydration a little bit, so he can get some calcium as well?
You can see if that works, just make sure to watch his weight based on the fact hornworms, waxworms and superworms are high in fat

Show him some love and make him feel that he is free to come out from his cage. I would remove all curtains and put the cage close to the window. They are not stupid bro, they can see what is bad and good. Just get the bigger cage and remove the door; let him free range little bit.
Because, he will sleep if he thinks its dark when you put curtains around the cage; remove them and see what he does after a week or two.

Back
Top Bottom