Veiled Chameleon Eyes Closed/Not Eating

lambv

Hi Everyone!

I'm new to this forum website/and am having some issues with my veiled chameleon, Kismet.

Kismet is on week 3 of not eating on his own with eyes closed (started approx. end of July). Kismet is about 6 months old and up until July was eating only crickets free range in his cage (he does not like being handled and is very scared of hands and any others bugs). I was dusting with calcium only once a week, as when he would taste the calcium on crickets, he would stop eating. Every since I got him, he had one eye that he would occasionally scratch on his cage or plants. After his last shed (end of July) he stopped eating abruptly and his eyes closed permanently. After 4 days of trying to put crickets near his mouth to get him to eat and having no luck (and no poops) I made an appointment with a vet in my area who is experienced with reptiles and exotic pets. She suggested Kismet may have stuck shed and wasn't pooping because he wasn't eating, and that could also be causing him to be lethargic. She also suggested a vitamin A deficiency could be the cause of some of his problems. She prescribed him Emeraid Carnivore Intensive Care (just a bit a day) as well as one drop of Optixcare eye lube (one drop in both eyes per day and gently massage) and 0.5 ml of Metacam for 5 days. After about a week with the changes being now pooping and opening eyes occasionally for about 5 seconds, I called my vet again to ask if there was anything else I can do. She suggested to start up the pain meds again until they were gone, up the Optixcare to 2 drops per day in both eyes, and increase the Emeraid Carnivore Intensive care to 1 cc twice a day.

I've been doing the suggestions by my vet for about 3 days, and now Kismet has stopped pooping and stopped opening his eyes, however I can open them with my fingers; they aren't "stuck shut" anymore. He still will not open them on his own or eat on his own, and the force feeding with forcing his mouth open is causing him a lot of stress (I think) as he doesn't like to be handled. I've also noticed in the past 4 days he wants to hang upside down near the lights, which is strange for him.

I apologize for the long post, just don't want to let anything out! I'm wondering if I just need to be more patient as per my vet, or if this something that isn't going to get better. If Kismet never opened his eyes, I would hand feed him the rest of his life if that's what he needed! Hoping some experienced people can help me. I've attached what pictures I could get of him (his eyes look wet because I had just put the eye lube on) and also the food he's getting and the eye lube.

Thanks!
41AslKuCD0L__42246.1425497163.500.500.jpg EXOTIC-Carnivore-30714-Image-JAN17-HR.jpg 20170811_213526.jpg
20170811_213534.jpg 20170811_214428.jpg 20170811_214435.jpg

How long did you have him before he started closing his eyes?
Does he have a UVB light? Which none?
He needs to have phosphorous-free calcium at most feedings to help make up for the poor balance of those nutrients in most feeder insects.

How long did you have him before he started closing his eyes?
Does he have a UVB light? Which none?
He needs to have phosphorous-free calcium at most feedings to help make up for the poor balance of those nutrients in most feeder insects.
I had him about 5 months before he started closing his eyes. Using ExoTerra coiled UVB. I mentioned the calcium to the vet as he wasn't eating, and she said the Emeraid syringe feeding (for critically ill reptiles) would provide him with the calcium he needed until he could start eating on his own.

The lack of calcium in that five months can be part of the problem.
What's the basking temperature? Cage temp?

The lack of calcium in that five months can be part of the problem.
What's the basking temperature? Cage temp?
Basking temp is about 90, at the lowest point of the cage being 80. Humidity during the day is about 60%, provided with a humidifier pointed directly on cage to wet leaves. During the night I shut it off.

Hmmm. Not sure if I agree with that, but I am not a vet. Unfortunately, not all vets know what they are doing when it comes to chameleons. I have seen some cause more harm then good over the years on here. I would think a chameleon with healthy eyes would not want them touched and might appear irritated if you do.. Have you tried giving him any vitamin A?? I know he is not eating, and the protocol is usually to put some on a feeder.

Hmmm. Not sure if I agree with that, but I am not a vet. Unfortunately, not all vets know what they are doing when it comes to chameleons. I have seen some cause more harm then good over the years on here. I would think a chameleon with healthy eyes would not want them touched and might appear irritated if you do.. Have you tried giving him any vitamin A?? I know he is not eating, and the protocol is usually to put some on a feeder.
Thanks for the reply! I had the same thought on the pain meds.....but just followed the vets instructions. I mentioned to her about vitamin a, but she said the emeraid intensive care would provide him with that, however I'm not so sure there would be enough to make a difference. I thought about trying to force feed him feeder crickets with calcium rather than this liquid mixture, but I'm not sure that's a good idea. I don't want him to choke on it.

You can try dripping water on the end of his nose at the rate of a drip or two per second and if he starts drinking slip a cricket head first between his teeth so he will chew it.

If that doesn't work you can make "bug juice"
http://www.adcham.com/html/husbandry/bug-juice.html

I think you need a vet that specializes in chameleons.
Thanks! I was able to feed him one cricket today along with the emeraid intensive care,but still no luck with the eyes opening :(

I've been doing a lot of reading on vitamin a and taking chameleons outside. Would both these things be beneficial for the eyes? I'm unsure what to purchase for vitamin a; currently I'm giving him liquid calcium with a dropper.

I don't know how much calcium or phosphorous or vitamin A or D3 is in the carnivore care but I would be making sure that they are in balance and try to give it a little extra calcium for a while since you skipped it for a while.

I don't know how much calcium or phosphorous or vitamin A or D3 is in the carnivore care but I would be making sure that they are in balance and try to give it a little extra calcium for a while since you skipped it for a while.
Thank you

Sorry no couldn't give you a solution to the eye problem but there are too many possibilities that have similar symptoms. I hope the new vet can figure it out.

Just an update an Kismet and a few questions!

At the vet today Kismet was given numbing drops for his eyes (the vet recommended to try this for just a couple of days to see if he got any relief) as well as a mixture of vitamin a and d drops. I did the first administer of the vitamin drops today by putting a VERY VERY small amount on the back of a cricket which he ate along with his carnivore care. Kismet seemed to take an interested in drinking today. I also took him outside in the sun and placed him on my hibiscus tree for about 20 mins and sprayed him with room temperature water. During this time I was pleased to see he opened one eye a very tiny bit! I could see him moving his eyeballs inside their sockets to clean them. I really didn't think this could be a humidity issue, because his room is typically kept at approx 60% but can drop very low at night. Is 60% reasonable? The last chameleon I had didn't seem to like that much humidity. I think I'll continue spraying outside or shower him if the weather is poor. I'm also wondering if it is still ok to supplement him with liquid calcium while he is taking the vitamin a and d drops?

Thanks everyone!

Hello! Wondering if I could get some opinions...i noticed today's while misting kismet that when he opened one of his eyes briefly, there appeared to my.almost a film over his eye. Could this be stuck shed?

Back
Top Bottom