!!!!HELP PLEASE!!!! Part of casque broke off!!!!

RobandJess

I had Bob out on the balcony and when I came to take him inside I found him with part of his casque broken off!! I am not sure how it happened but I doubt it's normal. He has been shedding but this looks like ot broke off. i attached some pictures so you can see....I am not sure if he fell, he seems ok otherwise...what should i do?! i dont want to touch it and hurt him...any suggestions?!

Did this happen to anyone of you before?!?! Please help!! i am not sure if he is in pain, but it would kill me if he is....

Attachments

• casque.jpg
    casque.jpg
    242.1 KB · Views: 1,042
  • casque1.jpg
    casque1.jpg
    235.4 KB · Views: 621
Looks like a line of shed skin. If there was damage to that extent there would likely be bleeding. :)
Lovely colors btw

what can i say..im a worried cham mom...:eek:
It just came off all the way, he doesnt seem to be bleeding...i was freaked out because since we had him he has never shed his casque like that...so no need to worry then?!...thank god!

It doesn't look like the line of scales just fell off to anyone else? Look at the front of his casque, it's all pink and smooth. To me it does look like they have fallen off. Maybe post more photos if you can?

It doesn't look normal to me! I have seen a similar thing with Tommy - he lost part of one of his lobes when he shed in the summer and it looked just like that with the coloured skin still in it.

Edit - having read Olimpies reply above - is there anything where he was that could have done that damage? It almost looks like it's been sliced off somehow.

did it just appear out of nowhere? Did he actually lose a part of his casque then? OMG this guy is going to give you a heart attack it seems!

Yeah, I guess you should post a few more photos just to be sure. Is there any discharge?

Good grief, Who majored in drama then? How about a new pic closeup, now that its off so we can see beneath?
Probably a few layers in that patch that failed to slough off before.
Why is everything an emergency here? Rob & Jess hardly need encouragement to panic. :)

ok so im not crazy....i thought this looks weird and i am concerned he is in pain...i attached a close up now that the whole part is off....there is no bleeding, discharge etc...but still it looks strange to me..

i put some neosporin on it so it doesnt get infected....hope that wasnt a crazy idea...

Attachments

• casque 2.jpg
    casque 2.jpg
    250 KB · Views: 344
I dont know, I think I would prob apply a topical ointment just to be on the safe side. You could use something like polysporin just to keep that site clean and free of bacteria if there is indeed any missing scales. You may want to wait a day for him to finish shedding his casque.

When I saw the first photos I thought perhaps it was a burn.. and the burn scab was falling off.

Is there anything he could burn himself on? can he get too close to a heat bulb?"

When I saw the first photos I thought perhaps it was a burn.. and the burn scab was falling off.

Is there anything he could burn himself on? can he get too close to a heat bulb?"

When we first started free ranging him he went directly under the heat bulb and we did not notice right away, it is possible he burned it a little then...we put steel wire in front of the heat bulb now so he cant burn himself...he seems ok now, he even ate a few crickets. do you think we should go see a vet ?

Good grief, Who majored in drama then? How about a new pic closeup, now that its off so we can see beneath?
Why is everything an emergency here? Rob & Jess hardly need encouragement to panic. :)

lol..i know so much drama for such a little guy! i think he is gonna be fine though...

If it is a burn the vet can give you some burn cream to put on it to make it heal faster.

I think he is going to be ok

It could have been that the shedding skin was retained too long and caused those scales to be contricted to the point that they lost some blood flow and as time went on they just sloughed off. It didn't really look like a really bad case of retained shed or a burn to me, but who knows, you may never know the actual cause of this happening. If he fell and landed on his head it could have scrapped those scales off. Make sure to keep humidity up during shedding to try to avoid complications.

No it is not normal, but it looks clean and not infected. I would continue to put neosporin on it until it starts to dry up naturally (maybe reassess around a week?) but at any point if it starts to ooze a lot, turn weird colors, smell, swell, etc. then you should probably take him to the vet because those could be signs of infection. Poor little guy! but he should be fine if no complications arise. It will eventually granulate in and almost look normal, but he won't get those spines back, maybe just some scales.

Last edited:

if you mean me, I only said the thing about the heart attack because they lost him the other day and found him inside a cabinet.

Looks fine and no sign of damage beneath that I can see. :)

Your concern is admirable, but try to enjoy the hobby eh? :)

Seeing that new photo - Tommy also had a build up of old shed on the top edge of his casque. A bit broke off and it looked just like that underneath. There was a tiny bit of bleeding, and he still has some stuck. I put it down to the fact that his previous owner didn't mist him properly so the old shed just built up over time. He still has about half left to come off and I just keep bathing it for him to try and loosen it. I can't find the pics of Tommy's casque, but these couple show the bit of lobe that came off.

LeftLobe.jpg

Skin1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom