HELP PLEASE. female veiled neck problem - i appriciate the help

VeiledOwner87

my female veiled has developed a swollen looking neck. i am getting worried about it now, it has been 2-3 days. she is moving around a lot, and eating perfectly normal. she does however, at times, has her mouth open then tilts her head up and does this thing with her mouth like she wants to vomit. i'm not sure if it is her yawning, but it freaks me out. i will include pics at the end of this post, and i have all of the ask questions on hand.

i know i havent been on the forums in a long time, but all the help would be greatly appriciated.

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon -
Female C. Calyptratus, is 13 months old and has been in my care since 3.5ish months of age. was bought at a pet store that kept her quite well.
Handling - All of my reptiles are handled very rarely. only to weigh once every week or two
Feeding - she is fed once every 2 days now, she is fed mostly crickets. but also intakes superworms, horns and silkworms. her quantity is about 8 crickets a feeding.
Supplements - I use all Rep-cal brands for suppliments. i use a good plain calcium every feeding which is every two days. she will get herptavite and calcium D3 once or twice a month
Watering - i run a mistking system to my cages, two nozzles in my multituberculata and one nozzle in the veileds cage. 3 5minute mistdowns during the day.
Fecal Description - solid brown fecies and white urates, this particular chameleon has never been tested.
History - she has always been in great health.

Cage Info:
Cage Type -
her enclosure is a homemade 2x2x4 wood and screen cage. all sides are screen except for the back which is plastic board.
Lighting - i run 2 48'' flourescent tubes in a dual fixture, a reptiGLO 5.0 which is now 1.5-2 months old, along with a 6500K
Temperature - her temps have been a little low lately with a low of 77 degrees to a high of 82 degrees (which i aim to maintain). night time temperatures are never under 65 degrees.
Humidity - her humidity levels are always between 50-65%
Plants - live plants (schefflera aboricola, and croton)
Placement - my cages are located in my room which is not high traffic. it is private and only active when im in the room. it is under a ceiling fan which is rarely on during the cold months, and if it is, it is on low.
Location - Windsor, Ontario Canada. Southern Ontario at the Detroit borders
Current Problem - problem is decribed at the beginning of post.

i forget if there was a spot for gutloads, but here is my gutload recipes
WET: yam, red lettuce, alfalfa sproutes, orange, apple, kale, blueberries, raspberries, carrots. there are probably more, but i freeze the mix into cubes, so i forget exactly if there is anymore or not in the current batch
DRY: sprunila, flucker's high calcium feed, bee polen, repashy CGD part 1 (not much), dried kelp powder, small amount of oats and cherrios -- all ground to a powder.
i've read that neck swelling could be Gular Edema, but i see to it that she does not intake high amounts of protein or vitamin a, the only vitamin A that i know of and use in my gut loads is the repashy which is not a significant amount used anyways. im stumped :confused:

Here are the pics:
IMG_8530.jpg

IMG_8531.jpg

IMG_8532.jpg

IMG_8529.jpg

k now im realy worried, she just climbed upside down on a branch, and did that whole crazy mouth thing, she then just froze and closed her eyes, and her eyes were poping out. wtf! and i cant get her to handle her, she still hisses and tries to bite.

It does look like edema. Females can get a mild case when gravid. My Lily used to before she laid. My only advice would be a vet visit and extralong mistings. I know it's hard to see them doing odd things and it makes you panic for them. Could she perhaps have a piece of feeder stuck somewhere that she is trying to shift?

It does look like edema. Females can get a mild case when gravid. My Lily used to before she laid. My only advice would be a vet visit and extralong mistings. I know it's hard to see them doing odd things and it makes you panic for them. Could she perhaps have a piece of feeder stuck somewhere that she is trying to shift?

i couldnt tell you tiff :( i just dont know all what to think right now. as far as the eye thing closed goes after doing that mouth thing, she has never ever done that before. i dont understand how they can get edema from the feeding, supplimenting and guloading.

I think that it's more down to water retention when they are gravid, like a woman's ankles might swell when pregnant. I hope someone is able to help you to help your chameleon.

i'm sure she gets plenty of water. i did have cycles of misting going 4 times a day (2 5minutes morning/night) and (2 1.5 minutes noon and afternoon) i cut it down to 3 5minute mistings throughout the day.

How old is she? Was she mated? When did she lay her last batch of eggs?

You said..."her mouth open then tilts her head up and does this thing with her mouth like she wants to vomit"...she is quite plump so either she is working on a large batch of eggs or you might be overfeeding her. The description you are giving concerning the mouth/vomiting is never a good thing, unfortunately. I'm not a vet as you likely know, but my best guesses would be that she either has some discomfort with the tongue (could be something stuck in the area where the tongue is stored) or she may be having difficulty getting enough air (could be due to her plumpness or it could be organ failure). These are only my best guesses and I really think you need to take her to a vet ASAP. :(

How old is she? Was she mated? When did she lay her last batch of eggs?

You said..."her mouth open then tilts her head up and does this thing with her mouth like she wants to vomit"...she is quite plump so either she is working on a large batch of eggs or you might be overfeeding her. The description you are giving concerning the mouth/vomiting is never a good thing, unfortunately. I'm not a vet as you likely know, but my best guesses would be that she either has some discomfort with the tongue (could be something stuck in the area where the tongue is stored) or she may be having difficulty getting enough air (could be due to her plumpness or it could be organ failure). These are only my best guesses and I really think you need to take her to a vet ASAP. :(

shes about 13 months, i have a feeling she may be gravid as well, but not with many eggs. shes never mated, she was going to be in a month, but i am deffinately not going to do that. i do not over feed her. i feed 8 crickets now every two days. and she gets all the water she wants offered to her. i am going to try again tomorrow to see if anything is in her mouth, i tend to lean towards tonge discomfort but she uses her tounge perfectly fine when eating. ALso, what is too cold for a basking temp?

i realy hope i can get to a vet. work has been slow lately and i have bills to pay, im kinda out right now it sucks. i just hope i can get a lot of advice on here to try otherwise. i feel terrible for not being able to support the vet needs right now, but things just come up :(

Perhaps if you talk to a vet s/he will work something out with you in the way of payments so you can take her?

I usually keep the warmest area of the cage for female veileds in the low 80's. I don't know how long they can take low temperatures before it has a serious impact on the health.

Its still possible its edema....but I just have a feeling its not.

If there is something in the area where the tongue is stored I would have thought it would affect the use of the tongue...but then who knows for sure??

I hope you can get her problems solved before its too late.

Has she ever laid a clutch? If so, when?

no kinyonga, she has never laid a clutch before. im going to give her a long hrydration shower today. i noticed a big clump of sand yesterday on the oposite side of her laying bin. she verywell could have eaten sand. so thats what im going to do.

Back
Top Bottom