Help on light fixture plz!

LeahMcL

My dad bought me a small Zoomed double dome light fixture with the UVB light and the basking lamp? Is this a good fixture for a veiled cham? Thanks for you help! Merry Christmas and happy holidays! I will be getting my cham next month in January probably for my birthday!

My dad bought me a small Zoomed double dome light fixture with the UVB light and the basking lamp? Is this a good fixture for a veiled cham? Thanks for you help! Merry Christmas and happy holidays! I will be getting my cham next month in January probably for my birthday!

You need to do some research on the UVB bulb. Most of us don't use the coil type as there have been major health problems form using them. I use the long tube type, a 5.0 repti sun. The fixture will be fine for the basking light but I would try to trade it for the UVB light bulb you need and buy cheap fixtures at walmart or home depot. jmo

I would go with the strip light and use a T8 uvb. Exchange the double dome light and get a single dome and use that for the black light heat source.

laurie is right, but companies have most defiantly de-bugged some flaws. i'm not sure if it was mentioned, but the CFL's have been known to cause retina problems and even blindness. This was an occurrence mainly with zoo-med who has no formulated their light-bulbs. IMHO, CFLs should only be used in certain situatious (ie, small enclosure, reptile is nocturnal and the CFL is only a daylight to promote plant growth, and lastly, the latest model should always be purchased)

putting a UVB source together with a heat source is ideal for the chameleon's metabolic processing though. so even without a dual top, try and blend your heat with uvb

I am currently using the double dome. I have put my heat lamp and my uvb bulb in it. I am using a regular house 100w bulb and repti sun bulb. I didnt not buy that compact bulb though. There is a longer one that will stick out of the double dome. I have been using those for about a month now and it is working great. If I have any issues I will let you know. :)

koilover, a 100W? what do your temperatures get? i take it you have a pardalis right? im not sure any chameleon, unless in a massive cage, would ever need a 100W, i could be wrong though. im not at all nagging on you or anything, im just curious :)

Leah,
I would defiantly go with a strip light, this will output a wider area of light and it won't harm your chams vision. Just be sure to write the date on the lamp as they need to be replaced six months after use. I write an 'expiration date' on all my lamps and I also mark my calendar.

koilover, a 100W? what do your temperatures get? i take it you have a pardalis right? im not sure any chameleon, unless in a massive cage, would ever need a 100W, i could be wrong though. im not at all nagging on you or anything, im just curious :)

I have a blue bar. My temps are fine. lol I know it may seem too much but the light has to be set up high away from the cage because of the uvb bulb. I have a reptibreeze 24x24x48. The basking area gets around 85 to 90 and the lower part gets to 70-80.

I have a blue bar. My temps are fine. lol I know it may seem too much but the light has to be set up high away from the cage because of the uvb bulb. I have a reptibreeze 24x24x48. The basking area gets around 85 to 90 and the lower part gets to 70-80.

alright, i was gonna say. whatever works for you then :)

Back
Top Bottom