Help on building my own cage

rastamarley

Hi guys so I am re doing my Jackons cage a bit. Right now his draining situation sucks! It is too much hassle and I have decided that I need something easier.

I went to the home depot bought a big plastic mixing tub, a bucket and some pvc piping. Figure the piping will hold it up and i can drill some small holes in the tub so it drains into the bucket! Brilliant! I might even be able to put a live plant in the cage with this set up also! I know what plants I can put in his cage so I am good on that.

However I have two problems:

1: How to attach the pvc piping to the tub? I tried some like cement glue stuff that the chick at home depot recomended but it didn't really work all that well.

2: How to attach the cage (it is a tall no glass cage) to the tub?

I am sure I could figure it out but hey any ideas and/or suggestions would be reall great! Thanks!

i told the girl at lowes that i needed a non toxic glue that i could trust with my life... she gave us some damn good weather proof stuff thats almost exactly like aquarium sealant

I am not sue I follow 100% but here is how I drain a screen enclosure.

Drill holes in the center of the white pvc bottom. Try to make a circle with small holes kind of like a sink drain.

Depending on what your enclosure is placed on you may need to drill out a hole in the stand that is larger in diameter than the drain holes you drilled in the enclosure.

Place a 5gal bucket under the enclosure and the water drips/drains into the bucket.

If that does not help then I need to see a picture of what your working with, the post is kind of vague on the setup.

I was going to put the cage right into the cement mixing tub held up by pvc piping... unless you have a better idea!

I will see if I can get a pic up in a couple of min.

you mean this type of tub?
32_1042654_3.jpg

If So....

example of pvc stands:
images

worm-inn-new.jpg

Then you can use simple silicone to secure it to the stand or drill thru the bottom frame into the pvc along the lip the enclosure tray sits on.

You can also silicone the stand into the tub so its all one integrated tub/stand/enclosure. The enclosure would drain into the bucket you sit in the center of the tub.

Last edited:
So your wanting to attach a drain from your tub to the bucket?
I would use this:
PVC 3/4 male x some size of barb fitting... I use 3/8
Some 3/4 drain pan gaskets and a 3/4 locknut
Vinyl clear tubing and a bucket

Drill a 3/4 hole in the pan. You might have to use a step bit or a hole saw..
Attach it with your barb pointing down and attach you hose.
You'll really be happy with this.

you mean this type of tub?
32_1042654_3.jpg

If So....

example of pvc stands:
images

worm-inn-new.jpg

Then you can use simple silicone to secure it to the stand or drill thru the bottom frame into the pvc along the lip the enclosure tray sits on.

You can also silicone the stand into the tub so its all one integrated tub/stand/enclosure. The enclosure would drain into the bucket you sit in the center of the tub.

Exactly not sure which part to put where though that it would hold well. Does the part to the front of the picture become the top so the part that attaches to the tube? Hmm that might work then the lip on tehsides of the tub could rest on it... alright thanks!

And thanks to everyone else for the ideas!

P.S. I actually feel kinda slow of course it rests along the lip... duh!

Alright thanks to the help Im off to home depot to get a few things that I need thanks again guys! I think I have something that will work well now!

Any more thoughts please don't hesitate to share them I will make sure to check this page when I get back!

Are you using wood with the cage? If so DO NOT get cedar or pine, both are dangerous to chams. Also make sure you chose a water-proof wood. Silicon works well as a sealant. Latex paint is safe for chams.

Back
Top Bottom