"Contaminated" water in bioactive enclosure

dlaunde

Established Member
Long story short, I had forgotten to plug the PVC pipe I use to siphon out excess water from my bioactive enclosure, for at least a month or so. I went to finally siphon out the water and hit a very mushy layer in the tube. After a lot of fiddling, I found several decomposed roach carcasses (George sometimes drops them from his feeder).

In my attempt to clean the pipe out, I can see some of the carcass/mush (which smells REALLY REALLY awful) fell down into the very bottom of the rock layer. I gave up and pulled the PVC pipe all the way out and plan to put a new tube on the opposite side of the cage.

So the question: how do I clean out the crap/crud that is now settled to the bottom of the rock layer without digging up the entire enclosure?

My fear is that it will just keep growing bacteria/whatever else as the water drains and fills up the bottom and could one day lead to the entire bottom layer becoming contaminated/overgrown with bacteria or what have you.

I’d try upgrading your substrate so there won’t be excess water build up. I’ve had my bioactive enclosure running for 10 months and haven’t had to take any water out of the drainage layer.

As for the bacteria build up buy some more springtails.

I’d try upgrading your substrate so there won’t be excess water build up. I’ve had my bioactive enclosure running for 10 months and haven’t had to take any water out of the drainage layer.

As for the bacteria build up buy some more springtails.
I wonder if I may be using too much misting. I do 2mins every 9am and 8pm, and a 30 second mist at 2pm. Setup is a dual nozzle mist king system.

Regarding bacteria: I meant possible issues in the actual drainage layer (where my rocks are) which my isopods/springtails can't normally reach (due to a barrier and screen filter above the rock layer)

Personally, I wouldnt worry about the bug carcasses so long as you have a cleanup crew. Isopods and especially springtails are still likely able to access the rock layer. Springtails in particular will be hanging around there just waiting for nasty mush to feast on!

I would use make sure you are able to drain the bottom as best you can. Theres always a thin layer of water settled in the bottom (unless your enclosure has a graded floor like a shower drain has.

The funky water should never make it beyond your drainage layer, so long as you are siphoning it out regularly.

Personally, I wouldnt worry about the bug carcasses so long as you have a cleanup crew. Isopods and especially springtails are still likely able to access the rock layer. Springtails in particular will be hanging around there just waiting for nasty mush to feast on!

I would use make sure you are able to drain the bottom as best you can. Theres always a thin layer of water settled in the bottom (unless your enclosure has a graded floor like a shower drain has.

The funky water should never make it beyond your drainage layer, so long as you are siphoning it out regularly.
Thanks. I was able to dig out a bunch of the nastiest stuff and mix the rest up so it was less solid, more liquid that can slowly siphon out as the water raises. Just need to put a new PVC pipe in now

Thanks. I was able to dig out a bunch of the nastiest stuff and mix the rest up so it was less solid, more liquid that can slowly siphon out as the water raises. Just need to put a new PVC pipe in now

That sounds like either a LOT of dead bugs (which would have me wondering why they arent thriving in there)… OR you have soil /silt getting past your barrier and making mud at the bottom

That sounds like either a LOT of dead bugs (which would have me wondering why they arent thriving in there)… OR you have soil /silt getting past your barrier and making mud at the bottom
It was quite a few dead roach carcasses that were decomposing. Serves me right for forgetting to plug the pipe

Back
Top Bottom