help - new to veiled - scope it and let me know your thoughts

theBUTCHER

my friend works at a local petland and she txted me today - a woman had brought a veiled back to the store because she didn't want to take care of it anymore - she had just purchased it about a month ago if that - but she didn't like dealing with feeding it insects - anyways they ended up giving it to me - it is a male and its a decent size - i don't think it is real healthy - the reason is because of its color and skin - it has some random patches of rusty brown that hasn't changed - looks like skin that didn't shed well - i sprayed it with shed aid by zoo med- - i have it in a 20 tall for now - i'm going to build it a nice size cage asap -

i have it a uvb bulb and will be feeding it a good variety of dusted insects and veggies - it hasn't really brightened up or been a nice color yet - besides when we held it on the way home from the shop - it is extremely tame and loves to be held actually - but i'm looking for any tips - and hopefully by the pics you can see some of the patches and so on and give me some advice at getting this thing healthy and happy -

veiled1.jpg

veiled3.jpg

veiled5.jpg

veiled.jpg

i have 3 crested geckos - (blonde tiger dal- harley-flame) and 2 normal leopard gecoks that are gravid - just letting you know that i have experience with reptiles -

ezekiel.jpg

ezekielx.jpg

ezekielxx.jpg

ezekielxxx.jpg

ezekielxxxx.jpg

First off, congrats on becoming this cham's hero. Based off these pictures it looks like he may possibly have some bone deformities and a swollen foot. Post some more pictures if you can. Also fill this form out, so members can help you with your husbandry.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Location - Where are you geographically located?

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Current Problem - The current problem that you are concerned about.

took some better pics - let me know of anything you need close ups of and i can get them- def. wanna help this dude - they said his name was zeek - so i named him Ezekiel like in the bible -
First off, congrats on becoming this cham's hero. Based off these pictures it looks like he may possibly have some bone deformities and a swollen foot. Post some more pictures if you can.

you will want to fill out the cage info. Also it looks like you have him in some sort of tank. He needs a screen cage. Yes he does appear to have some leg deformities going on most liekly caused by improper calcium intake or improper lighting. Again we will need the housing info to better guide you with this guy....

i'm aware of the screen caging i need - tell me the dimensions and i'll build it asap - i want something big enough to last its lifetime -

right now it is in a 20 tall - with a screen top - i have several 20 longs laying around also but the tall is better - after my leopard gecko lays i can put him in a big exo terra terrarium until the screen cage is complete -

i have exo terra repti 5.0 uvb lighting - i have reptocal calcium with d3 - dust my crickets with it -

i just got this chameleon today btw and set up the 20 tall for it to stay in for now - put 4 dusted crickets in the tank and i mist with purified water - its 11pm here and i just turned off the uvb bulb and put in a zilla night red heat bulb - ive studided all of the care facts - but like to get tips from people on forums - the cage today stayed at 80 - and ive read that he doesn't really need any heat at night if the house stays at 75 - humidity is on 77 -

i have a digital temperature and hygrometer from walmart - around 10 bucks

you will want to fill out the cage info. Also it looks like you have him in some sort of tank. He needs a screen cage. Yes he does appear to have some leg deformities going on most liekly caused by improper calcium intake or improper lighting. Again we will need the housing info to better guide you with this guy....

He actually doesnt look that bad...

First off tho, what part of the world are you in?

Also, does anyone else see that bump by his right front armpit. Is that just extra skin or a growth or something...?

Besides the mild MBD arund his ankles tho, he looks rather healthy. Just get him on a decent routine and he should recover no problem ;)

I'm in north eastern ky - Wurtland, Ky - USA

are you talking about the white looking bulge? i think its just dry skin that hasn't shed properly - i'm not real sure yet - if thats even what your talking about -

i sprayed him down with some shed aid so hopefully that helps with the shedding -

what is MBD? anything i can do to help it?

He actually doesnt look that bad...

First off tho, what part of the world are you in?

Also, does anyone else see that bump by his right front armpit. Is that just extra skin or a growth or something...?

Besides the mild MBD arund his ankles tho, he looks rather healthy. Just get him on a decent routine and he should recover no problem ;)

I'm in north eastern ky - Wurtland, Ky - USA

are you talking about the white looking bulge? i think its just dry skin that hasn't shed properly - i'm not real sure yet - if thats even what your talking about -

i sprayed him down with some shed aid so hopefully that helps with the shedding -

what is MBD? anything i can do to help it?

This blog will explain MBD.

http://chamworld.blogspot.com/2008/01/health-section-b-metabolic-bone.html

This blog below has some great info to help you with your new guy.

http://raisingkittytheveiledchameleon.blogspot.com/

Last edited:
MBD is metabolic bone disease. Its due to a lack of calcium in there bones. meaning that they turn to be like soft bones, bending and not keeping shape.

Im not to sure what can be done as an immediate response, but proper dusting and gutloading is what prevents it.

If you type in "metabolic bone disease" or "MBD" into the forums search you should have lots of results.

Im not to sure what can be done as an immediate response, but proper dusting and gutloading is what prevents it.

One of the most important things in preventing MBD, is UVB lighting. Also, once MBD sets in it is irreversible, you can only prevent it from worsening. Read the links that Jann has posted, those will help you a great deal.

hey i drive a scion TC too! he looks pretty good, not too sick or anything, although i can't tell how strong his grip is in the pictures. but congrats on the free cham. just don't treat him like he was free. together we can save a couple of unwanted chameleons :)

i'm aware of the screen caging i need - tell me the dimensions and i'll build it asap - i want something big enough to last its lifetime -

right now it is in a 20 tall - with a screen top - i have several 20 longs laying around also but the tall is better - after my leopard gecko lays i can put him in a big exo terra terrarium until the screen cage is complete -

i have exo terra repti 5.0 uvb lighting - i have reptocal calcium with d3 - dust my crickets with it -

i just got this chameleon today btw and set up the 20 tall for it to stay in for now - put 4 dusted crickets in the tank and i mist with purified water - its 11pm here and i just turned off the uvb bulb and put in a zilla night red heat bulb - ive studided all of the care facts - but like to get tips from people on forums - the cage today stayed at 80 - and ive read that he doesn't really need any heat at night if the house stays at 75 - humidity is on 77 -

i have a digital temperature and hygrometer from walmart - around 10 bucks

For a adult male veiled the ideal cage size is 4'x2'x2'...

You need 3 types of supplements. calcium w/o d3, calcium w/ d3 and a multivitamin. AND a strict supplement schedule.

No red light at night. Chams can see lower freqs than most so the night light could keep him up at.

Your on/off times should be similar to the sun i.e. 7am-7pm

Read the links jannb post especially the second one, it's a damn good guide on veiled husbandry and will answer 99% of anything you're unsure of.

He isn't in too bad of shape.

Read up on Brad Ramsey's site.

You should also keep in mind he is 'tame' because he is in a new place and chams go into a defense mode of being docile when in unfamiliar territory. Once he has a cage and establishes the cage as his own, he may not be so nice when you put your hands inside. They are very territorial, but once removed from their space will take a chill pill.... unless they are pissy like one of mine... Jake.

Try to keep handleing to a min. Moving your cham around and holding him will stress him and this is bad. You also want to make his cage quickly. 2'x2'x4' is a good size for adults, since he is old enough and large enough to not need a 'little boy cage' you'll be set.

When you set up his cage you will want a Zoo Med Reptisun 5.0 lamp. You want the linear tube lamp, not the screw in style or 'coil' lamp also known as CFLs. For his heat lamp you can use a 50w spot lamp from a reptile store or HD. Ya don't need any red or blue heat lamps and don't put ANY lights over him at night for heat (even the red lamps). If the temp drops below the upper 50's in your house in winter then buy a ceramic coil heater.

Check out the UV Guide site for good lighting info.

HELP! My chameleon ate random leaves outside

I had it out in a tree getting some sun and it started eating the leaves out of the tree. I'm told that it is a mimosa tree. Will this hurt it? If it did what can I do to help it?

Back
Top Bottom