Help needed

Beardy100

Hello can anybody advise what this might be. Noticed a bit on top of his head peeling away but never noticed this before.

Attachments

• C3A76675-CFF4-4EE8-8422-EFC289905DE7.jpeg
    C3A76675-CFF4-4EE8-8422-EFC289905DE7.jpeg
    101.6 KB · Views: 157
Thermal burn, your basking temp is to high. What is your basking temperature and how are you measuring it?

Hi and thank you for the reply. I have the basking temp set at 89 and it is on a dimming thermostat. Do I need to change anything?

Hi and thank you for the reply. I have the basking temp set at 89 and it is on a dimming thermostat. Do I need to change anything?
can your cham touch it in anyway? Even through the screen if it is resting directly on the screen. He can be burned through the screen.

How are you gauging the temperature? Is your basking light directly on top of the enclosure?

Please post some pictures of your setup.

that is way too close, he can easily touch it. The chameleon should not be able to touch it. They can't feel it when they get burned, so they just burn their casques off.

My basking spot is 88 degrees. If you cannot achieve this temp with the stick far from the lamp, you need a stronger lamp. My basking lamp is a "intense basking spot 75w" lamp. You can easily stop your cham from getting burned by lowering the branches from the basking spot.

My basking spot is 88 degrees. If you cannot achieve this temp with the stick far from the lamp, you need a stronger lamp. My basking lamp is a "intense basking spot 75w" lamp. You can easily stop your cham from getting burned by lowering the branches from the basking spot.
Thank you, I will make the spot lower. Will he recover from this. He seems fine and is eating well

that is way too close, he can easily touch it. The chameleon should not be able to touch it. They can't feel it when they get burned, so they just burn their casques off.
Thank you, I have moved my basking spot to the other side and he want be able to reach it.

Attachments

• 8D6B76CD-DD2C-4A27-AF6C-0817DCEC5CD8.jpeg
    8D6B76CD-DD2C-4A27-AF6C-0817DCEC5CD8.jpeg
    259.2 KB · Views: 85
Thank you all for your help on this. Will The burn affect him in the future or will it recover
He will definitely recover, it is kind of like if you burned your hand on a stove, you will recover. From the picture, it looks very minor, and superficial. He will probably have a little scar though, kind of like in the picture, but smaller.
Veild casque issue ! | Chameleon Forums

Can't your chameleon climb on the screen cage lid and still sit under the light? If you can't hold your hand at the closest spot to the light that your chameleon can get to without having to move it then it's going to burn your chameleon again. I'd raise it off the lid now.

if the cham is not able to climb the sides of the cage, the lamp can stay as is.

The cham can and WILL climb the screen cages. Which both you and him have, and sometimes they will hang on the ceiling below the light, like Kin said above.

Placing the lamp directly on the screen is a pretty bad idea TBH. Its something people do, because its easy, not because its correct/safe.

We see the same with the UV lights. We see guides say, to put the UV light 12-18 inches away, which is fine and great, it doesn't mean buy a 4ft cage, set the light on the top, and put the branch 18 inches down. Why did you even buy a 4 foot cage? If your basking branch is 14 inches from the top, and you have plant pots that are 10 inches tall, you dont have 4ft cage area, you have 2ft cage and 2ft of wasted space, by doing things wrong.

Not saying you, or picking on you, just in general, do not understand the mindset of a 14 inch down basking branch and 10 inch pots. Go bio with 4 inches of soil, and a 5 inch from the top, or 6, basking and have the full cage you bought usable. A well optimized (Like above) 36 tall cage, has more usable space then the 4ft cage in the above scenario.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom