Help needed ASAP

Al adams

Hi, I am a first time chameleon owner and think my 6 month old male veiled might have a respiratory infection. He just started sitting like this today and I don’t know what to do. Does anyone know what this is? He is not gasping for air or keeping his mouth open ,just sitting like this.

Attachments

• 226E0B69-C4D9-4AF9-8122-E6D51B0EC0A9.jpeg
    226E0B69-C4D9-4AF9-8122-E6D51B0EC0A9.jpeg
    215.7 KB · Views: 115
  • 644F7B1B-5FC9-41C7-8F6C-8CFA06BE904B.jpeg
    644F7B1B-5FC9-41C7-8F6C-8CFA06BE904B.jpeg
    213.8 KB · Views: 111
If you fill this out others will try and help !

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

I mist about 10 times per day and the humidity stays at around 40 to 50 during the day and probably 30 to 40 at night.

I mist about 10 times per day and the humidity stays at around 40 to 50 during the day and probably 30 to 40 at night.
this could be your problem , you want you day time humidity around 30-40 and night time as high as possible (up to 100) if you can .

now you say your misting 10 times a day - that's way to much . you should be misting before light on for about 3 min or so and before lights off for the same amount of time . you can keep you night time himidity by misting at night for seconds at a time a couple times though out the night or using a cool mist humidifier .

If you fill this out others will try and help !

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - veiled chameleon, male, 6 months old.
  • Handling - about one time every week.
  • Feeding - I feed my chameleon meal 4 meal worms and 2 Dubai roaches every day. I also put calcium powder on the worms and roaches as well.
  • Supplements - calcium powder.
  • Watering - I have only seen him drink a couple times. I water him 10 times a day and for about 15 seconds.
  • Fecal Description - Very normal. White which I think means well hydrated.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - glass half moon cage with rock 3D background.
  • Lighting - One 70 watt heat bulb and a tub uv ray bulb.
  • Temperature - bottom of the tank is 60F and the hottest spot is 80F.
  • Humidity - 40 to 50 during the day and 30 to 40 during the night.
  • Plants - All plants are fake
  • Placement - Located in bedroom. Four feet above the ground. Close to ceiling fan.
  • Location - apex NC

Current Problem - Might have a respiratory infection

Here is my set up
There’s lots wrong with husbandry so as soon as you fill out the form we can help you better. This is the enclosure that chameleon academy has on their website it’s what you should pretty much have plus plants on the bottom. No substrate it’s unnecessary and unsafe. All really plants are required for veiled since they tend to eat their plants, no hides, lots of branches because they are arboreal, no ladder thing, and a much bigger enclosure 4x2x4 or bigger since bigger is always better (minimum is 2x2x4) You’re overwatering way too much that’s also no good it can lead to bacteria especially with the substrate. Read through all of this https://chameleonacademy.com/veiled-chameleon-care/

Attachments

• 1BE77BEB-03DF-46A7-B3C2-FF754029F9A9.jpeg
    1BE77BEB-03DF-46A7-B3C2-FF754029F9A9.jpeg
    137.7 KB · Views: 96
There’s lots wrong with husbandry so as soon as you fill out the form we can help you better. This is the enclosure that chameleon academy has on their website it’s what you should pretty much have plus plants on the bottom. No substrate it’s unnecessary and unsafe. All really plants are required for veiled since they tend to eat their plants, no hides, lots of branches because they are arboreal, no ladder thing, and a much bigger enclosure 4x2x4 or bigger since bigger is always better (minimum is 2x2x4) You’re overwatering way too much that’s also no good it can lead to bacteria especially with the substrate. Read through all of this https://chameleonacademy.com/veiled-chameleon-care/
Ok will do

this could be your problem , you want you day time humidity around 30-40 and night time as high as possible (up to 100) if you can .

now you say your misting 10 times a day - that's way to much . you should be misting before light on for about 3 min or so and before lights off for the same amount of time . you can keep you night time himidity by misting at night for seconds at a time a couple times though out the night or using a cool mist humidifier .
not with yemens, they don´t do that high humidity.

My feedback in red

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - veiled chameleon, male, 6 months old.
  • Handling - about one time every week.
  • Feeding - I feed my chameleon meal 4 meal worms and 2 Dubai roaches every day. I also put calcium powder on the worms and roaches as well. No mealworms they are not recommended for chameleons. What sizes are they? At this age it’s recommended 5 food items every other day (appropriate size) because chams can develop obesity. Once he reaches adulthood it reduces to 2-3 food items every other day or every two days. Do you gutload your feeders?
  • Supplements - calcium powder. What’s the brand? Can I see a picture?
  • Watering - I have only seen him drink a couple times. I water him 10 times a day and for about 15 seconds. This is one of the many problems, you are definitely over watering you should only pretty much mist once in the morning before lights turn on and once at night before lights turn off 2-5+ minutes. If humidity is low you can add shower curtains to retain humidity but you’re using a glass enclosure which is pretty easy to retain humidity. Overwatering can make bacteria grow especially with the substrate which needs to be taken out as I mentioned.
  • Fecal Description - Very normal. White which I think means well hydrated. Have you had a fecal done if not I suggest you get one done when you go to the vet because he needs a vet. Make sure it’s an experienced chameleon vet.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - glass half moon cage with rock 3D background. He needs a mesh screen enclosure a 4x2x4 or bigger since bigger is always better (minimum is a 2x2x4) you can buy one or make one
  • Lighting - One 70 watt heat bulb and a tub uv ray bulb. Is it a T8 or a t5ho or what is the bulb? I think you may be using the wrong one. I recommend a T5HO 5.0 linear uvb or an Arcadia 6% linear uvb.
  • Temperature - bottom of the tank is 60F and the hottest spot is 80F.
  • Humidity - 40 to 50 during the day and 30 to 40 during the night. Night humidity should be up to 80-100%
  • Plants - All plants are fake You need all live/real plants for veileds because they tend to eat their plants and the fake ones are an impaction risk.
  • Placement - Located in bedroom. Four feet above the ground. Close to ceiling fan. I’d move it away from the ceiling fan.
  • Location - apex NC

Current Problem - Might have a respiratory infection
Get him to an experienced chameleon vet ASAP

Attachments

• 4402AADF-B17D-40E3-8747-F9D3014B493B.jpeg
    4402AADF-B17D-40E3-8747-F9D3014B493B.jpeg
    177.1 KB · Views: 86
  • 3035D194-8052-4A52-BE44-DFB802C4EB22.jpeg
    3035D194-8052-4A52-BE44-DFB802C4EB22.jpeg
    929 KB · Views: 85
  • 16216E2B-976D-41AD-A44B-4C76F09CE678.jpeg
    16216E2B-976D-41AD-A44B-4C76F09CE678.jpeg
    200.8 KB · Views: 86
  • 2A6D271E-29A5-4414-B55B-92A7BBE4A5C7.jpeg
    2A6D271E-29A5-4414-B55B-92A7BBE4A5C7.jpeg
    206.9 KB · Views: 82
  • 88608B59-A77E-42FD-89F9-7BD412428E8B.jpeg
    88608B59-A77E-42FD-89F9-7BD412428E8B.jpeg
    208.7 KB · Views: 81
not with yemens, they don´t do that high humidity.
Are you talking about nighttime humidity? because now the recommended Veiled care is actually low during the day, and up to 100 at night... oh and also for the op. Stop misting during the day! i know you did not know this just wanted to be clear, i am seriously trying to not come off as rude so sorry if i am. im in a hurry. but id say mist well twice daily for now till you can hopefully get a fogger... mist in the morning early, and like a half hour or hour before lights off. Also, he probably does have RI, in which case you should go to the vet ASAP so they can medicate him. try to find a reptile vet, and preferably one that specializes in chameleons. good luck, i hope he recovers

Yea definitely too much which could def be the problem. You want to try and mist twice a day for 2-5 min. Once before lights come on and once a couple hours before lights go out. Like what was said above, you want to try and hit 100% during the night.

I’ve got little to add. He needs a vet ASAP! Chameleons can go downhill very quickly.
Supplements need to be corrected. Add Reptivite with D3 one feeding every other week.
Your enclosure looks nice, but isn’t adequate for a chameleon. Since your little one seems to have a respiratory infection, screen is definitely the way to go. You need more airflow, not to mention space. If need be, screen sides can always be covered to help keep some humidity in without decreasing ventilation too much.

Are you talking about nighttime humidity? because now the recommended Veiled care is actually low during the day, and up to 100 at night... oh and also for the op. Stop misting during the day! i know you did not know this just wanted to be clear, i am seriously trying to not come off as rude so sorry if i am. im in a hurry. but id say mist well twice daily for now till you can hopefully get a fogger... mist in the morning early, and like a half hour or hour before lights off. Also, he probably does have RI, in which case you should go to the vet ASAP so they can medicate him. try to find a reptile vet, and preferably one that specializes in chameleons. good luck, i hope he recovers
Yemens don´t come from places with high humidity, even at night. Nor the day.

I will post more when I have time.

I’ll ask this question though, you said he just started doing this today. Is he still doing it?

Back
Top Bottom