Help - Naked Crab!

ijmccollum

I have two hermit crabs that keep me company at work. Both have molted from dime to dollar size quite successfully. One went through a molt this morning but has 86’d the shell. I have multiple sized-shaped shells available but it does not seem interested in any of them. I have even placed it in several shells thinking it would like one but each time it crawls out of them. This is not a frantic naked crab; it is just a hanging around crab. No changes in husbandry or diet. Crabitat mate has been removed so as to keep the crab in the skivvy safe. Any ideas? :confused:

maybe he just likes the breeze and is showing off his freshly molted crab parts :confused::eek::rolleyes: lol, i dont know anything about crabs, except for they taste wonderful dipped in butter lol. but if nothings changed, i'm sure you and the crab will be fine

I would boil the shells in sea water you make for them and leave them wet when you out the shells back in the crabitat. Sometimes the smell will draw them to a shell.

Did the molts go good or is he working on a jelly limb? Sometimes they just don't like their shell options and will eventually go back to their original shell.

I just love my hermit crabs lol

maybe he just likes the breeze and is showing off his freshly molted crab parts :confused::eek::rolleyes: lol, i dont know anything about crabs, except for they taste wonderful dipped in butter lol. but if nothings changed, i'm sure you and the crab will be fine
Well that's the creepy part - you see- hermit crab parts are a little creepy. ...and garlic butter sauce is best!

I would boil the shells in sea water you make for them and leave them wet when you out the shells back in the crabitat. Sometimes the smell will draw them to a shell.

Did the molts go good or is he working on a jelly limb? Sometimes they just don't like their shell options and will eventually go back to their original shell.

The shells were all washed in super hot RO-H2O and rinsed in salt conditioner. There are 7 shells to choose from, including the old one. All molts were good and no jelly limbs. Since it is hanging out in the salt water I'll see what tomorrow brings.

i have hermis but have never experienced this, but i would make sure to keep it well hydrated untill it finds a new home, best of luck, be sure to let us know how it goes

Yea! Crab is no longer naked. Left him over night in a cup with wetted paper towel and a shell.

Crab nakedness is un-nerving. Hope he doesn't go buff again.

Back
Top Bottom