HELP: My Panther Chameleon Set Up

A no refund policy doesn't allow them to lie to you.

You paid for a male, either have them get you a male or they should be giving your money back.

It's clearly the employee's fault that was excited for a sale, and was telling you what you wanted to hear. Then she was corrected by the owner.

The employee is simply to scared to tell the boss that she screwed up, and probably made up some lie to him to cover her ass.

I would probably ask the employee to ask the owner for permission to contact him to resolve the dispute personally, instead of trying to tip toe around everything.

Failing that, the store is just a waste and you got screwed.
I would suggest posting information about the business on faunaclassifieds to get the word out on them.

Good luck!
you nailed it. Pretty much all i want is my money back, no questions asked. The worker who sold me the chameleon was wrong for misinforming me and just trying to make a sale.

I'll be peeking my head into the store within these next few weeks. Hopefully i can catch the manager and talk to him somehow.

I think thats my only option as of now. I also just got off the phone with my bank, and they're handeling it with a dispute. But my best option is going in and talking to the owner.

I hate to be negative but I have had dealings with the BBB and all the manager at the other store is say "the customer is wrong, we have a no return policy clearly stated" and they are off the hook for it. Your most likely going to have to work through other sources to get this situation fixed.
Yeah i figured it could end up like that, but i'm keeping my head up and hoping i get my refund. And to go with your answer, i well in fact knew about the no return policy. But i didn't care about it because i wanted the male and knew (thought) i was getting a male at the time i bought it.

I'm suprised this place is still around... Many years ago it was under a different name and it was pretty bad back then.

Just some advice I would not buy from a store unless I really had to I believe that the animals bred & raised by hobbiest are generally better quality. They are pricey but shopping around is not all that bad. You're in the bay area and there are TONS of hobbiests here, you just need to look around and ask questions.

My first cham I purchased was a Veiled from a guy in redwood city (wish I could find him again). What you get when you purchase like this is a resource that a reptile store cannot be.

I also dont think the BBB will do much, unless the store is a paid member. So you might be just getting lip service from them.

The only exception to all of this is EBV, I would shop here if I need to.

Gabe - I really hope it works out for you.
Yup, and even all the reviews for this place are still terrible. I can't believe this place hasn't been shut down yet! I haven't met the owner yet, seems like a cool guy. But the lady who helped me out is making a bad name for the store. Obviously it's her fault that allot of these reviews are so bad.

Also I've been to the Vivarium allot, but their prices are kind of expensive. If they had a male panther i would get him. But everywhere i look they're usually female panthers. Also had a nice adult sized veiled but he wasn't for sale. I'll be sure to look at the local sellers in the bay area.

Stress relieved!!!

Anyways I picked up a Mist King off craigslist! Some of you may of seen the deal i got on a different thread :)

Also cleaned and added in some jungle vines and a Pothos Plant (great plant!).

(Basking Light is off, waiting for it to cool down so i can use a 60W bulb. The basking area gets alittle too hot. Seen my digital thermometer say 87º, low 90's with a handheld thermostat.)

For my Mist King i have it set for 4 mists a day at 3 minutes each mist. Lights kick on a 7:30am, kick off at 8pm.

First mist 10:30a - Second mist 12:30p - Third Mist 3:30p - Forth mist 6:10p

Heres a few pics of my cage so far

Last edited:
Panther

Supposedly it's a male Nosey Be Panther Chameleon.

it looked like it was anywhere from 2-4 months old.

Hopefully my enclosure set up suits him.

Please let me know if i need to change my mist times, 75w basking lamp to 60w, etc.

If my cage is too big, i have a 16x16x20 mesh enclosure i could use.

Thanks

Supposedly it's a male Nosey Be Panther Chameleon.

it looked like it was anywhere from 2-4 months old.

Hopefully my enclosure set up suits him.

Please let me know if i need to change my mist times, 75w basking lamp to 60w, etc.

If my cage is too big, i have a 16x16x20 mesh enclosure i could use.

Thanks
Can anybody help me out?

Wanna make sure i have everything set for tomorrow.

Thanks! appreciate it!

Last edited:
I wouldn't buy anything from there in my opinion. It sounds like the chameleon is overpriced and sick by the sound of the store. If you want a healthy chameleon I am in South San Jose and can meet up and provide you with a healthy and happy chameleon :)

Misting sounds fine. If the temps are too high, raise the bulb a little farther away from the basking area. 85 degrees is plenty for a 2-4 month old.

I'm sorry you had to go theough this mess. I'm sure your new baby will help make you feel better about the whole thing!

Thanks!

Kinda did a combination of mist times from others. Hopefully it's fine. As for the light, i'll keep the 75w and raise it up a bit. Just not comfortable with the clamp lamp.

Reptile room - good owner

Just want to let you guys know i finally spoke with the owner of the Reptile Room.

He was out of town during the time i bought my chameleon. So getting a hold of him was impossible.

I had to call my bank to end the dispute because i got my refund back. (BBB went through and made a call/letter).

Had to call the BBB to end the dispute, waiting for a call back so the owner doesn't have to write a response.

Pretty much the cham i wanted is indeed a male. So i'll be picking him up hopefully this weekend once everything settles. Just sucks i had to go through all this because of the one person who helped me. So take it from me, Aron Dickey is a good guy from the Reptile Room.

I honestly meant no bad business it's just when you spend $400 bucks and you can't get a refund for my reasons, and can't even talk to a manager or get a hold of him you'd probably go about and did what i did. It was only right... if i had spoke with the owner at the time everything would of been fine.

Glad to hear it ended well for you and you got to get what was indeed yours. Post pictures of the little guy later if you can!

Glad to hear it ended well for you and you got to get what was indeed yours. Post pictures of the little guy later if you can!
Yup, so tomorrow i'm picking him up (for the 4th time haha).

It's about a 6 month old Nosy Be Panther Chameleon.

Owner is a cool guy, glad i got to speak with him.

I'll be sure to post pics.

I noticed your set-up lists the zoo med 60w basking spot lamp. It's checked of, so you have probably already purchased it........but I'll let you in on the secret:

HUGE waste of money (no worry, we all bought them when we started).

They run anywhere from $7-$10 each, and In about 2-3 months it IS going to burn out. When it's time to replace it, just get a pack of normal household bulbs at the hardware store/wally mart, about $3 for a four pack (which will last about 2 years.) depending on how warm your house is/how the cage is set up get either 38 or 57 watt (I have a box of each...38 in summer, 57 in winter). same result, better on your wallet.

BAM!!! just saved you around $50+ a year.

Welcome to the club, and best of luck.

Shawn

Last edited:
I noticed your set-up lists the zoo med 60w basking spot lamp. It's checked of, so you have probably already purchased it........but I'll let you in on the secret:

HUGE waste of money (no worry, we all bought them when we started).

They run anywhere from $7-$10 each, and In about 2-3 months it IS going to burn out. When it's time to replace it, just get a pack of normal household bulbs at the hardware store/wally mart, about $3 for a four pack (which will last about 2 years.) depending on how warm your house is/how the cage is set up get either 38 or 57 watt (I have a box of each...38 in summer, 57 in winter). same result, better on your wallet.

BAM!!! just saved you around $50+ a year.

Welcome to the club, and best of luck.

Shawn
hah, thanks! i'll be sure to head to walmart and get those bulbs. Didn't know the household ones got to such high temps.

And saving every dollar is great because i'm a broke college student :(

Anyone remember this thread? LOL

Turns out i finally found out what the hell Jasper is!!!

He was sold to The Reptile Room from Chameleons101!

His father is Mr. Ambanja and the mother is a Ambilobe. So Jaspers a Ambanja x Ambilobe Panther Chameleon!

After re-reading this thread and seeing where i'm at now i can't believe i found all this info...It's almost a miracle lol.

Pics of the father (Mr. Ambanja):

ScreenShot2012-10-01at10035AM.png

ScreenShot2012-10-01at121136AM.png

Jasper:

JasperChilling2.jpg

_MG_8109copy.jpg

I am so glad everything worked out for you! I have sat here and read this whole thread. I have gone through a big range of emotions reading all of it. I am so glad you got your beautiful boy! I can tell you will give him an awesome home! Good luck!

You're friggen kidding me!! You got that boy from that sire at the stupid reptile shop that gave you all of this crap!! You lucky, lucky dog! I get partial credit! I told you to keep fighting the fight! :p :D

then why was it sold as a nosy be? if he already knew "store owner" . I know you dont have that answer but that is what I ask myself. Your chameleon to me is ambanja but what does it matter i guess. is this the only panther chameleon that store has ever bought. Id be very skeptical and would just enjoy the cham as you were already.

Back
Top Bottom