Help, my chameleon don’t look to good, and I’m not sure what to do

I am sad to say that this Cham is indeed a lost cause. I know you are caring and involved with your chams care, so the best that can come of this is that you take it as an opportunity to learn how to care for your next pet in a way that is healthier for him/her.

There are some really great resources here to learn all about correct lighting, food sources, supplements, and specific requirements per variety. I hope you get past this without losing your love and enthusiasm for the hobby.

It's always hard to lose one, especially if you are so invested in caring for it. But do know that you can do better with proper research and willingness to get it right.

He definitely has severe MBD and from the looks of your chameleon sadly he won't be alive for more than another day or two.

MBD is not just the result of too little calcium, it's a lack of balance between vitamin D3 and calcium and vitamin A. Of course the amount of UVB exposure plays a part too and even temperature that the chameleon is kept at. There's is lots more to explain to you but at the moment the important thing is to help the chameleon. It's only hope is for you to get it to a vet right away. You can talk to the vet about whether to euthanize it (by the rules set out for doing it humanely) or whether to try to save it.

If, after you do this, you will still be keeping a chameleon I (or others on here) can explain to you the proper husbandry so this won't happen again.

Please act quickly so it won't suffer.

Would your parents be open to humane euthanasia?

What does this entail? I am genuinely curious. Do you mean via a Vet? Seeing how he is likely not a patient, he must be made one, + the put down fee. Where I live your looking at well over 300 dollars. I doubt they will pay that.

Yes I meant via a vet.

Thats why I asked. I didn't think they would want to put it down by themselves..

So hard topic, then.

What does he do, if / when his parents wont?

I know brody has had this stance in the past. So I will let him catch hell for saying it.
I’m probably going to catch hell for saying this but you know better than anyone else. If you truly believe euthanasia is the best option at this point, do it. You don’t need a vet to euthanize him.

As keepers it’s our responsibility to do what’s best for them while in our care. Unfortunately this is one of the parts no one thinks of when they first get a Cham. Sometimes doing the right thing is hard...

However Brody, you never said how?

Last edited:
He definitely has severe MBD and from the looks of your chameleon sadly he won't be alive for more than another day or two.

MBD is not just the result of too little calcium, it's a lack of balance between vitamin D3 and calcium and vitamin A. Of course the amount of UVB exposure plays a part too and even temperature that the chameleon is kept at. There's is lots more to explain to you but at the moment the important thing is to help the chameleon. It's only hope is for you to get it to a vet right away. You can talk to the vet about whether to euthanize it (by the rules set out for doing it humanely) or whether to try to save it.

If, after you do this, you will still be keeping a chameleon I (or others on here) can explain to you the proper husbandry so this won't happen again.

Please act quickly so it won't suffer.
I will surely do that.

You need to get that cham to a vet NOW. Like Yesterday. Things like this don't happen overnight You need to act quickly or ( I hate to say it) To me he doesn't look like he'll last long. :( That veiled looks way more like a panther than a veiled.

That looks like a veiled to me? I just think his casque is bent, if you look at the first pic closely. He also has the huge nails, and i heard that is specific to veileds.

I highly doubt even a vet would be able to help but that is your only (slim) hope, and you will need to do it very, very, very soon.

Regardless, the vet will at least be able to administer humane euthanasia.

But don’t chameleons get a higher risk of bone disease if they don’t receive a high amount of calcium?

Calcium alone doesn't do a thing for reptiles. They need vitamin D3 in order to absorb the calcium. D3 is synthesized in the skin through exposure to appropriate wavelengths of UVB, which is why proper UVB bulbs and fixtures are so important. A lot of commonly advertised bulbs and fixtures are junk - they provide too low levels of UVB, not enough spread or the wrong wavelengths.

If by chance a miracle occurs and a vet is able to help your chameleon, or you decide to get another, you need to purchase a T5 linear fluorescent UVB tube either from ZooMed (Reptisun) or Arcadia with appropriate T5 fixture.

Back
Top Bottom